National Luna

superg

From my online research, it appears most are using the ARB and to a lesser degree the Engel fridges. Anyone here recommend paying the higher amount for a National Luna? My int budget was $800-900 but I do believe in the "you get what you pay for" in certain cases so do not mind 2x pricing of the NL.

Usage will only be a few days every month (if that much) so the high price seems like a wasteful purchase when there are many other options at reasonal prices..but I do like the design and look of the National Luna.

Any reason NOT to buy the National Luna 52L and instead going with a Engel 45 or ARB 50?

shogun

Adventurer
Do you prefer rolls royce, bmw or chevy?

They'll all probably last a long time with occasional use. One, maybe two, may last a lifetime.

Moreso than you would expect, the capacity will affect the performance. Dont oversize since empty space will hinder temperatures and efficiency. Unlike a cooler, you dont need to pack everything into it from the start. Non-perishables can be added as space opens up and needed. It requires an entirely different mindset than coolers to eek out the top performance.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I have a NL and would gladly pay the price again without thinking it twice.
I have used mine 1 to 1.5 months at the time non stop and needed the space, but not the waste that comes with coolers and ice.

With tat said...
If "Usage will only be a few days every month (if that much)", then I really dont see the point of getting one of these....ARB's and Engel's do the same job for a lot less.
I still have to hear from anyone person on these forums talk about negative performance about a particular fridge brand...
Your budget is more than enough for a fridge and a protection jacket.

JackW

Explorer
I've got an Engel 35 and have been very satisfied with it - using it about six times a year for long weekends. I know at least six other campers who have Engels and none of them have had any problems with them.
My only regret is not getting a 45 quart size - the 35 is perfect for a solo camping trip but if my wife is along she adds enough extra stuff "stuff" to the fridge that it gets packed. The 45 size is just about perfect.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I have a 43 and a 64. The 64 spends most of it's life sitting in the shop as a spare freezer. It's big, heavy, and awkward. I can barely pick it up when it's empty.

The 43 is my favorite. It takes up a lot less space and holds as much as I need for a solo 1-2 week trip. For me, a 50 would be overkill.

MC4X4

Observer
I have 35 and a 60 Engel, the 35 is for the back of the jeep and the 60 is for the camper trailer. I have had the 35 for about 6 years and it hasn't missed a beat. The 60 I have had for about 3 years and when not in use in the camper it is a spare freezer running of the mains power. So it has been running for 3 years non stop and hasn't missed a beat

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Engel 45

purchased 2007 with lock slide and bag
I blew up the main board ....in 2008- my fault- early models were fixed ac voltages...and the 115v board did'nt like 220 ac in Oman
Its been running on a laptop power supply 12v 10 amps since then,
Plugged in 24-7-365 behind my bar - plus numerous overland trips

Starts-gets cold and still makes ice...

newer models have since been made available, I think if I was looking again and had a big enough vehicle the NL weekender would be a favorite, with the seperate fridge and freezer sections
with small trucks the arb/ engel 45/50 will easily provide enough space.

In a Nissan patrol- 80 series there's ample space, jeep disco etc and the space diminishs rapidly.

kmacafee

Adventurer
I have an NL 52 and have used it pretty heavily for the past few years with no issues. They were originally designed to carry drugs and medical supplies in the developing world so they are overbuilt. You get what you pay for.

superg

Thanks to everyone that replied.
After a few days of research and cardboard mock ups, I ended up ordering a NL Weekender 52L and Tembo Tusk slide. The ARB 63qt has a nice low profile which I like but I kept going back to the NL due to the old school fridge design.
I am justifying the purchase by making sure the fridge is used inside the house the other 355 days.

superg

And finally all set with temp straps

nl.jpg

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I used an Engel 45 for many years and it never failed to work as advertised. However, I did not like the interior liner - plastic that would easily stain. Cost new was about $700 ten years ago.

I bought a National Luna fridge/freezer (separate freezer compartment) that has a stainless steel interior and exterior. Cost was about $1500 year before last.

They are both excellent units and I would recommend either, depending on needs and budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne