Lord Al Sorna's 2014 JKUR Build Thread

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Are you taking it to moab this week?

Hah, not this year. Are you?

I am wanting to go to / trying to plan for the Overland Expo this year. I haven't been and it looks like a lot of fun. That may be it for events, but I will be getting out into the beyond as much as possible. Ill be in AZ in April and have a couple trail days planned with my Dad...

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
I posted this in another forum after being asked about my GPS setup that I just got up and going. It is pertinent to the build page as well:

I now have an ASUS Memo 7" tablet mounted in my JK using a Ram X-Grip, connected to a milled aluminum JK grab bar from Carolina Metal Masters that incorporates the lower ball for the Ram system. The X-Grip makes it super simple to take the tablet in/out and it does not matter what type of case you have.

The GLO is a little stand-alone puck that has rubber feet on the bottom. It connects to the tablet with Bluetooth. It really doesn't "mount" or come with any cradle per-se, not that someone couldn.t come up with creative solutions. For my application I have run a dedicated power supply to the top dash pocket in my Jeep, and one out the glovebox for the tablet. I used one of these for the hard-wire on the tablet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3GK4G4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The GLO uses the car adapter it comes with through a hard-wire 12v plug, all rigged behind the dash.

I have Gaia GPS, BC Navigatior is the other Android app I hear thrown around a lot. For the I-Pad/Phone crowd there is MotionX, which I like the best out of all but cost played a big role in my selection of tablet / OS. The little ASUS I picked up was on sale at best buy for $149 at the time, and the Android market has a big advantage in that most tablets have an SD slot, which can add super value for map storage vs. tablet cost.

Gaia (and others) allow you to pre-cache your maps, waypoints, tracks, routes, etc just like on a Garmin prior to departure using a wifi connection. Therefore, no data connection is ever required for accurate use whilst in the field. If for some reason I desire a network connection while out-and-about, I am able to use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot and pair the tablet. This can give me access to Google maps navigation for street driving, and data connectivity for whatever else... (use your imagination).

Pros:
1) Screen Size, Pixel Density, and Resolution (its gorgeous compared to any handheld, and maps need to be read with your location in-context so the bigger the better)
2) Hardware Power - Map zooming, loading and scrolling has zero lag / is super smooth.
2) Ease of typing! Waypoint names, track names, address searches, etc are worlds easier.
3) Extra functionality - Your dealing with a full tablet PC. Load up movies and tunes, audiobooks, etc.
4) Ease of importing GPX and KML files. The KML functionality is AWESOME in my book, no need for a file converter and other associated BS. Now I can stay up way too late at night plotting creative backcountry routes in Google Earth and just fling it right into the tablet!
5) Mapsets are WAY cheaper.
6) Much easier to create/edit routes, tracks, and waypoints in-app. Map dowloads are all done in-app. No need to connect to a PC to do these tasks like a handheld. To swap a gpx or kml file you can do it via e-mail, Dropbox, etc. Super functionality here compared to a handheld.

Cons:
1) Two separate components, two separate batteries.
2) Not as easy to throw in a pack for hiking/skiing/etc. Still totally doable though.
3) Not Waterproof / Less Durability
4) Umm....

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
WOW! :eek:

Man, you've done some awesome work since last I checked in.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so don't be too surprised if I do a bit of "copy-paste" onto my rig... :beer:
Ran BCN on a Galaxy Note 4 with the track from Mojaveroad.com. Worked awesome, but your mount is much nicer than the suction cup windshield mount I have.
Pretty cool stuff. Really like how your rig is coming along. Pretty thoughtful mods amigo!
BTW: EJS was epic, and I was only there for the first part. The folks from Red Rocks 4wd club do an awesome job.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Great build so far man! Really enjoying the trip pics as well. Cheers!
Cheers mate! :beer: Thanks!

Man, you've done some awesome work since last I checked in.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so don't be too surprised if I do a bit of "copy-paste" onto my rig...
Thank you, and be my guest! All the parts on my build have been playing very nicely with each other, and the rig is right where I want it to be.

BTW: EJS was epic, and I was only there for the first part. The folks from Red Rocks 4wd club do an awesome job.
Ill be seeking out your trip photos :) I really want to make it... Perhaps next year it can be in the cards.

One more, cruising on the shore of Bartlett Reservoir ouside of Cave Creek, AZ. My amigos are all swimming in the background :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
AWESOME! :beer:

Way to bring your thread back to life!
Just one question, did you kiss your Jeep and it turned into a frog, or is Mr. Frog your new Rock Crawling bud? :elkgrin:

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Hah! Mr. Frog is my spotter. I keep him in my shirt pocket until the going gets really rough and then he shows me where to go.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
How's it going?

Going great! Been super busy enjoying an outstanding ski season in Utah this year to follow up a great 3 seasons of camping / overlanding.

I am a little behind on updating the Jeep page... The truck took us on a lot of great trips this year, and it is part of the family at this point. Changes to the rig since I last updated the page include:
ARB Safari Snorkel
Front Axle Trussed / Sleeved
ARB Diff Covers both ends
Synergy MFG high-steer kit
Changed to Walker Evans 15" wheels to shave weight and because they are gorgeous
Changed to 35" Cooper ST Maxx tires - better on the highway and still superfantastik off-road
Baja Designs Squadron Pro Lights
Fox IFP hydraulic bumpstops - these are just very fun. Thats all I will say.
JW Speaker Headlight Conversion - one of my top 3 favorite mods to the Jeep. Makes pounding out night miles SO much easier on the eyes. If I could only do one modification to a Jeep this might be it, though that question opens pandora's box...

The Jeep remains extremely well balanced and perfectly suited to the dual role I wanted it to fill as an overland truck. 80 mph down the interstate all day long no problem in comfort, and there are very few places this rig won't go when asked off road. The suspension is totally dialed for higher speed driving on dirt roads, which makes exploring in the backcountry quite luxurious at-speed. I have a lot of love for this Jeep...

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
The suspension is totally dialed for higher speed driving on dirt roads, which makes exploring in the backcountry quite luxurious at-speed. I have a lot of love for this Jeep...

Great to hear! I'm kicking myself for not learning to ski last year.

Do you think the fox bump stops are a big part of why it's so dialed in for high speed off-road driving?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior