Current cost of adding a Sportsmobile Penthouse Top to used van?

zuren

Adventurer
Somewhere on this forum or the SMB Forum, someone bought a used van and went to Sportsmobile to have them add a Penthouse Top. This was a few years ago.

I'm curious if anyone has explored this option recently and knows what kind of price they charge? I emailed Sportsmobile but they haven't responded. Maybe I need to call.

Thanks!

fritz

Traveler
I just talked with Sportsmobile East a couple weeks ago about having a Penthouse top installed on my 2010 Chevy Express AWD. Unfortunately the conversation stopped before price was talked about. They cannot install their top on my van due to the side curtain air bags. Seems there are components across the top in the area Sportsmobile makes their cut.

I had been trying e-mails and leaving phone messages to no avail. Finally got lucky and they answered the phone.

86scotty

Cynic
I think the prices are all broken down on their website aren't they? You can find a build sheet there somewhere and it gives you all the prices. I realize this may not be a complete 'out the door' price though.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I looked into this on my E350 and found colorodo camper vans. I called and left a message on what I was looking for and recieved a phone call the next day. I was quoted $6500 that was last year so it may have gone up.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Bring it on over!

8389897181_ac94c2ed85_b_d.jpg

Bring Tequila and cut off wheels:snorkel:

news_thumb_32383_630.jpg

Toolman

Explorer
with all necessary options and tax it was around $8500 painted to match. however you cannot install a fan on their fiberglass roof, it will void the warranty

thedjjack

Dream it build it
I bought a hightop off an old Dodge $200.00. Cut it into 1/4 re-glassed it back together. Cut the roof off my Delica and riveted it on. What I learned was my cuts way nicer than the factory that installed the hightop on the dodge.

Put a drill through to mark corners, caulk lined the cut, cut off wheels angle grinder, took about 15 minutes.... total cost maybe $400.00

Acheateaux

Adventurer
I bought a hightop off an old Dodge $200.00. Cut it into 1/4 re-glassed it back together. Cut the roof off my Delica and riveted it on. What I learned was my cuts way nicer than the factory that installed the hightop on the dodge.

Put a drill through to mark corners, caulk lined the cut, cut off wheels angle grinder, took about 15 minutes.... total cost maybe $400.00

X 2. While I didn't score one that cheap and ended up going new from Fiberine, the high top is the jam. All the time access and it dropped my 2000. 7.3 e350 down about a half mike per gallon.

Scary simple and not to bad. I went slow and it was maybe a 4 hr job.

zuren

Adventurer
I finally received a response from SMB North (Indiana). They cited their installed cost was around $6000 and there are now limitations on what vans they can install on based on other features installed. I guess some vans have side curtain airbags somewhere that prevents SMB from mounting a top.

They also mentioned that their design potentially interferes with the use of shoulder harnesses. I haven't been able to confirm this.

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
After 6 yrs of use, I'm down somewhere under $45/night in my top. One of the best purchases I've made.

r_w

Adventurer
I started down this route, too. But stopped. For the cost of the poptop I can buy a school bus and convert it to a full fledged RV.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I started down this route, too. But stopped. For the cost of the poptop I can buy a school bus and convert it to a full fledged RV.

I started down the school bus route , then luckily realized I could get a pop top for a slightly modified Astro and do Jeep trails thru the mountains in 4Lo for the same money. To each his own I guess.

hitek79

Explorer
This is exactly why I went the route I did. For a Chevy van I was looking at around 8 grand from Colorado Camper Van. It's a super nice top, but you can get a big living area for the same cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior