How do you sell an expedition vehicle?

swazi

I have a 2000 Tacoma that I have improved with many expedition features (snorkel, bumper, lift/wheels, etc.). It seems these reduce the value to the common buyer, but I know any overland would love them. Are there any forums or other places to sell or should I just take the hit?

Wildcat

Adventurer
u wont get back half of what u paid for the extras if you leave them on the truck. my advice is return the truck to almost stock and sell the parts. maybe leave the lift and tires. depends on your location. sell/trade the extras later.

im in the process of getting my 4runner ready to sell. i am removing everything except the lift and rims/tires. it will "look cool" but thats about it. just how folks around here like their trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarditi

Explorer
Common for 4x4/rock crawler or overland builds - as stated by Wildcat: return-to-stock (RTS)

You can try to sell it as-outfitted, but any additional accessories do not raise the value of the vehicle for a bank or CU if the buyer were to finance.
It also really narrows your audience - those who want it may not be able to afford it, those who can afford it may want different build items or something.
When buying used 4x4s, most people often want "Sunday driver" examples - anything that has been used as intended needs to be accompanied by a thorough maintenance history (sometimes that isn't enough) to show that it was used but not abused... a bunch of aftermarket parts only makes that objection harder to overcome.

There is usually a pretty healthy market for take-off parts - especially for a higher production vehicle, although it certainly complicates your exit strategy with the current vehicle (pulling parts, installing/sourcing stock replacements, shipping, etc.

Good luck with the sale!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have to agree with the above. When I went to sell my 1999 4runner, I had thought it would sell quickly and for a high price. After all, it was probably the 2nd most desirable 4runner out there, from what I had seen (1999 "tall coil" with a factory E-locker - the only thing that would have been better would have been if it was a limited with multi-mode 4wd and the locker.)

What killed it was the non-factory aftermarket tube bumper. Had several people look at it but none of them wanted it because of that bumper. One of them even told me, he really wanted to buy it but his wife took one look at that bumper and said "NO." Unfortunately I had already sold my slightly-damaged front bumper on CL and I was in a hurry to sell so I accepted what I considered to be a low ball offer.

I learned my lesson. When I got my 4th gen 4runner and had a new bumper made for it, the old front bumper and all parts went into the loft in my garage, where they sit today. If and when I get ready to sell the 4runner, those old parts will go back on and the custom bumper will be sold separately.

The same goes for almost any vehicle. I spent a lot of $$ farkling my previous motorcycle (2008 Triumph Scrambler.) When it was time to sell, everything came off except the windshield and the tail rack. I got a good price for the bike and even better, I got almost $1000 for the stuff I took off of it.

Arclight

SAR guy
Another suggestion I have heard: If you're doing something irreversible, like chopping 4" off the fenders or drilling a huge hole for a snorkel, consider picking up a junk yard part to do the mod on. You won't care that the front fenders are flat black, but your color-matched stock body parts that are sitting in the garage will make changing it back easy.

Arclight

I sold my customized CRD KJ here on ExPo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier