Build quality satisfaction?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Hmm...I'll let Scott Brady comment on the 200 series...
http://expeditionportal.com/why-the-land-cruiser-is-the-worst-selling-suv-in-america/

The OP came here for Jeep owners' input from real life experiences with our rigs and not to hear conjecture and hearsay from non-owners and their cousin's sister's boyfriend's uncle about their opinions.

I currently own five Jeeps, several modified, one highly. I've gone in to the dealer to buy a JK twice (~2008 & ~2012) and each time walked out. For the asking price and where we are in time the ask for a JK is too high for the quibbles I have with the build quality. I refuse to reward manufacturer's "laziness" with my money.

KlausVan did a good job of hitting some of the highlights.

YMMV

Rubicon John

Observer
I currently own five Jeeps, several modified, one highly. I've gone in to the dealer to buy a JK twice (~2008 & ~2012) and each time walked out. For the asking price and where we are in time the ask for a JK is too high for the quibbles I have with the build quality. I refuse to reward manufacturer's "laziness" with my money.

KlausVan did a good job of hitting some of the highlights.

YMMV

Bully for you! Nothing upsets me more than sharp turn signal stalks and perish the thought of skin flakes on my jeep's dashboard--that's a real distraction when I'm crossing a river.

Test driving and owning are two different things (e.g. dating and marriage).

YMMV, if you drove one for more than 10 minutes.

Phoenix

Adventurer
2012 JKU Rubicon with just about every option available. I completely replaced the suspension by choice, and modified the Jeep to my liking and to allow me to have more fun than I ever have had driving a vehicle. Happy with what is left of the stock Jeep. It gets the kids to school, me to work, and up and over mountains.

Only took it to the dealer for recalls and items to keep my warranty. My dealer really likes the modifications I've made and has no issues with them.

I have had to replace an idler bearing, but that is to be expected if you spend to much time in sandy conditions.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Bully for you! Nothing upsets me more than sharp turn signal stalks and perish the thought of skin flakes on my jeep's dashboard--that's a real distraction when I'm crossing a river.

Test driving and owning are two different things (e.g. dating and marriage).

YMMV, if you drove one for more than 10 minutes.

Whatever floats your bravado.

Rubicon John

Observer
Maybe you should look at some reviews. After the first page of these, I'd think twice about it. http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-reviews/413/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jk/
Jeeps always get poor scores from Consumer Reports.

I totally agree! Based on this link the 47 JKU owners that posted as of November 2012 carries a lot of weight with me. You know, compared to the overall total of 815,654 JK/JKUs sold from 2007 to 2012, this is a significant find of .0058% of the universe of Jeep Wrangler owners surveyed. I'm selling mine now...you've all convinced me! :snorkel: Note: sales figures from Allpar for model years 2013 and 2014 not available at this time...:coffee:

Yup, jeep sux...and consumer reports are always 100% unbiased (as long as you're advertising in their rag).

Rubicon John

Observer
The jeep attitude a lot of the time goes with the long term build quality...poor.

Wow, yet another deep comment by a Landcruiser fan. Again, the OP asked "JKUR" owners for their experience after 30-40K, not opinions from those who've test drove or saw one in the parking lot at Pottery Barn. Go troll the Toyota forum and re-read your Twain quote.

Sorry to the OP, the jeep attitude is great when you stay on topic and don't come in and bash our rides.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Wow, yet another deep comment by a Landcruiser fan. Again, the OP asked "JKUR" owners for their experience after 30-40K, not opinions from those who've test drove or saw one in the parking lot at Pottery Barn. Go troll the Toyota forum and re-read your Twain quote.

Sorry to the OP, the jeep attitude is great when you stay on topic and don't come in and bash our rides.

I'm a jkur owner and land cruiser owner.

I agree that the interior design of the jk is a lot more modern and in a lot of weighs nicer than the land cruisers, especially with the two tone dark saddle leather interior.

Sharp edges are something jeep guys might not care about. But they also don't care about a lot of things. My loaded jkur also makes a waterfall sound everytime you start it which I've read is due to improper coolant filling at the factory. All new vehicles come with a few quirks. But if you look closely, you'll find more of them on my new jkur than you will on my 182k LC.

I expect my jk will last as long as any average car these days and be about as reliable. But the build quality is still lacking compared to a cruiser. I just don't plan to keep it long enough for it to be an issue. LCs can be lifetime cars. Jeeps aren't and weren't built with that intention.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
(1) Jeeps can be lifetime vehicles with proper maintenance, just like any other vehicle that is worth a ****.

(2) LC's sell/sold from the 60-90K range (past 15 years). Jeep Wranglers sell/sold from the 18-40K range (past 15 years). Both have their purpose, but this isn't exactly a head to head comparison.

Zeep

Adventurer
Consumer Reports is the last source I would use for a valid vehicle comparison. Maybe for a vacuum cleaner, but never for any car.

luk4mud

Explorer
Loved my 1997 LC, best built vehicle I will probably ever own. And I really like my 2013 Rubicon. Not nearly as well made and I wont own it with 200k miles, that's for sure. It's just an apples and oranges comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior