Build quality satisfaction?

Rubicon John

Observer
It's funny how this thread has attracted TLC owners to bust in and try to compare their aging trucks to the new jeeps. Jeep has been listening to the owners and continues to bring out more offroad oriented products like the Rubicon models, whereas Toyota seems to have left the enthusiast market behind allowing the new LC to cater to doctors' wives.

IMO not since the FJ40 was around has Toyota made anything that is exciting to look at. LCs have become the Abe Vigoda of SUVs in North America. While I'm sure Abe is a great guy and the Toyota is comfy to drive, I highly doubt he'll be appearing in Expendables 4 driving a new TLC. Action, adventure, and inspiring excitement don't seem to be Abe or the new TLC's forte.

For those TLC guys that still don't get it, I encourage you to visit a Jeep dealer and take a ride with the top down on a beautiful summer's day--there is no comparison.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I was always a Toyota guy; having owned both a 1982 HiLux and a 1999 Tacoma. Both were daily drivers and outstanding vehicles that never gave me a lick of trouble. I owned the '82 for 9 years and traded it towards the '99, which I drove for for 11 years. Now I'm no mechanic and don't do nearly the modifications most of you do on the forum here, but I'm not cruising the pavement daily with it either. The '82 carried me reliably all over the SE USA. The '99 started out in Asheville, NC and went West when we relocated to Monticello, UT-just about an hour south of Moab. Used the '99 for all sorts of tasks there for 9 years including hauling firewood, checking traps, exploring the desert and mountains, and general family tasks. Even drove it to Alaska in 2009 for a 2 month fur trapping expedition.

When the family and I moved to Arkansas, Jeep fever hit me pretty bad and I broke down and got a new 2014 JKU in December of '14. Nothing special- Sport package w/ steel wheels, hard top, manual transmission, etc... Love it! I drove it to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in May and am driving it to Alaska this January when the family and I relocate there for good. Only have a little over 6000 miles on it, but no problems as of yet. As much as I loved my '82 Toyota, I love my Jeep just a little more. Take care, Jerry

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Just another quick thought. I'm pretty new to the forum and came to it through a few recommendations of fellow wilderness skills instructors. So far, it has been a wealth of information and I thank you guys for that. However, this topic is the first I've read where folks are starting to take shots at each other from the safety of the keyboard. I have been on dozens of forums over the years and have quit essentially all of them because of the level of immaturity and sarcasm that surfaces among the members. I sure hope this one does not turn out like the rest because there is a lot useful information to be learned from what I've seen so far. Thanks again, Jerry

Last edited:

Rubicon John

Observer
Just another quick though. I'm pretty new to the forum and came to it through a few recommendations of fellow wilderness skills instructors. So far, it has been a wealth of information and I thank you guys for that. However, this topic is the first I've read where folks are starting to take shots at each other from the safety of the keyboard. I have been on dozens of forums over the years and have quit essentially all of then because of the level of immaturity and sarcasm that surfaces among the members. I sure hope this one does not turn out like the rest because there is a lot useful information to be learned from what I've seen so far. Thanks again, Jerry

Jerry, I appreciate what you're saying. Normally, I don't participate in this level of immaturity and sarcasm; however, this time I have. I wanted to help the OP and I believe that I answered his questions based on facts not conjecture. I didn't start the slinging, but I'm pretty tired of hearing blanket generalizations from people that have no direct experience with what they are spouting off about. I don't go to the LR or Toyota forums and bash their vehicles and don't appreciate their migration here to make bogus statements that go unchecked.

Welcome to this forum. It is a wealth of knowledge and we do truly use our trucks (no matter the brand or flavor) for more than routine trips to Starbucks.

Hound

Sheepdog
Last edited:

Rubicon John

Observer
I wouldn't blindly believe everything you read, especially here... Have you had much seat time in a 200 series?

Really? Then why are you here?

Again, I don't spout off about subjects that I have no first hand experience with (this is why I deferred to the knowledge shared by Mr. Brady--seems he knows a thing or two about those vehicles among others).

Besides, what does my "seat time in a 200 series" have to do with the OP's question regarding a JKUR?

"I am Groot..."

F5driver

Adventurer
My 08 JKUR has over 70K on it and runs like new. This is my favorite jeep having owned several over the past 25 years. They keep getting better and improving them. Like my JK, my previous 3 TJs and XJs never once left me down or were sent back to the dealer (I do my own work and keep up with the maintenance). My CJ was a mess when I got it, and never served as a DD, but who can fault a 30 year old jeep that served farm duty for a decade of its life!

I went crazy for a year and bought a 2007 FJC when they first came out. I liked it on the road, but offroad it was not even close to being a jeep--it wheeled like a fat lady walking in high heels!

Most people that buy jeeps and complain about them shouldn't be jeep owners in the first place. They're usually the ones that end up trading them in for a BMW SUV or some other soft-road pavement queen.

You state you didn't start the slinging yet check that last sentence John.

Rubicon John

Observer
@Rubicon John, I know you're new here, but your tone doesn't line up with the values bylaws of the board. I recommend you read this: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-Expedition-Portal-Forum-Rules-etiquette-etc

Ryan, I do apologize. I've tried to provide thoughtful and useful input regarding the question asked, which degraded once a comment was made regarding JK front ends being made of tin. I would request inflammatory posts be called into check a little faster. As you may note, I don't normally participate in this type of banter and don't go to the other forums and flame bait those brands.

Arktikos

Explorer
Consumer Reports is the last source I would use for a valid vehicle comparison. Maybe for a vacuum cleaner, but never for any car.

Why? How about JD Power? http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Jeep/Wrangler/2014/SUV/index.htm

You will see that the results are about the same. These guys are doing the unbiased assessments, not Rubicon John.
Ask a group of off road enthusiasts to rate their trucks and naturally they're going to paint a rosy picture.
VanWinkle has it figured out, IMO.
Jeeps are more fun, but any fool can see that a Land Cruiser-or any Toyota truck- is built better.

F5driver

Adventurer
John. On my 07 Rubicon I tore off both a shock mount and a control arm mount. They are made of very thin metal. The front axle housing of the JK is notorious for bending or breaking. I sleeved the housing, reinforced the C's and replaced all mounts with Currie and then I felt it was pretty solid. Don't take the known weakness of the JK personal. If the thread asked about weaknesses of the 100LC (and there are a few) I would certainly given my experiences. Why do you have to get so defensive about a car? For goodness sake lets stay on topic.

That being said, I really enjoyed my JK. When my situation allows I'll probably own another for trips where the 100 is just too much.

Last edited:

Rubicon John

Observer
John. On my 07 Rubicon I tore off both a shock mount and a control arm mount. They are made of very thin metal. The front axle housing of the JK is notorious for bending or breaking. Ones I sleeved the housing, reinforced the C's and replaced all mounts with Currie I felt it was pretty solid. Don't known weakness of the JK personal. If the thread asked about weaknesses of the 100LC (and there are a few) I would certainly given my experiences. Why do you have to get so defensive about a car? For goodness sake lets stay on topic.

That being said I really enjoyed my JK. When my situation allows I'll probably own another for trips where the 100 is just too much.

Agreed.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The OP came here for Jeep owners' input from real life experiences with our rigs and not to hear conjecture and hearsay from non-owners and their cousin's sister's boyfriend's uncle about their opinions.

I'll assume then that you've owned a 200 then? (Your cousin's sister is also your cousin. At least in MOST cases.:elkgrin:)

OP: We had a 2001 Taco doka. (As well as 40, 60, 80 series cruisers and many Hilux). It was one of my all time favorite vehicles. Our current 2011 Rubicon is now at 45,000 and has been surprisingly reliable. I think the newer JKs are great. We have 2 '07s, 2 '11s and a '13 in the stable. All Unlimited Rubicons. The '07s are a bit looser (especially the interiors), but they are obviously older too. Our Jeeps get used offroad with clients every day. They are holding up incredibly well given the number of different drivers and conditions they drive in. On average, at least 60% of their driving is offroad.

I'll edit this to add: The JKUR is the best factory off-roader available in North America NEW today. If it were just me driving, and not needing a vehicle with warranty or "fleet-ability", I'd be driving a LX470 or TLC 100 with some upgrades to suspension, tires and bumpers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online