Is there a better option for more cargo carrying??

PatriotUSMC

Observer
Talk me out of this please. It's expensive but it's nice and it's HUGE! I already have a (very cheap and flimsy) roof rack that I load up with all my large sized, lighter weight camping equipment but I'm always short on space. Having something this large would be amazing but just not sure if there are better options. Moderate overlanding is as rough as it gets as I'm only 1 3/4" above stock height on 30's with my WJ. Thanks for any info guys! Here's a pic of my rig for reference.

0FD4FF6D-65D4-4E19-B630-68BD4ED7CB79_zpsce931c6e.jpg

http://www.letsgoaero.com/GearCage-TT-6-p/gctt-6.htm

Erik N

Adventurer
Trailer? Here is one I use for beach fishing. Mostly it holds fishing gear and coolers.

Attachments

• DSCN0186.JPG
    DSCN0186.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 76

PatriotUSMC

Observer
Trailer? Here is one I use for beach fishing. Mostly it holds fishing gear and coolers.

I've been thinking about a trailer but to get one that is trail worthy costs more than I'm willing to shell out. Plus I would lose a ton of maneuverability.

peneumbra

Explorer
You could maybe strap your brother to the luggage rack; tell him how great the view is from up there. The dog, of course, will wind up in the front passenger seat ("Where does a 110 pound dog sit? Anywhere he wants to..."), so that leaves the second row for your wife and daughter...

Seriously (for just a minute), you might want to look at a bigger SUV, maybe an Excursion or a Suburban. Not great on mileage, but lots of room.

fortel

Adventurer
If I read it right, 100 lbs for the empty rack and then up to 300 lbs of cargo capacity...that seems like a lot of weight hanging off the back. I would worry that even on moderate roads that there would be lots of torque put on the rack. Maybe if you kept the cargo limited to the lightweight bulky stuff.

haven

Expedition Leader
Four adults, a big dog and 300 lb of gear = approaching your WJ's 1150 lb cargo capacity.. I'd say it's time for a larger vehicle, or a trailer. That bumper hitch carrier will be a big hindrance off-road, more so than a trailer.

PatriotUSMC

Observer
You could maybe strap your brother to the luggage rack; tell him how great the view is from up there. The dog, of course, will wind up in the front passenger seat ("Where does a 110 pound dog sit? Anywhere he wants to..."), so that leaves the second row for your wife and daughter...
Seriously (for just a minute), you might want to look at a bigger SUV, maybe an Excursion or a Suburban. Not great on mileage, but lots of room.

Hahaha no doubt! I've done some serious thinking about a larger SUV and always come back to the FJ80/FJ100 Land Cruiser but my Jeep will be paid off in a month so that's a tough one you know.
If I read it right, 100 lbs for the empty rack and then up to 300 lbs of cargo capacity...that seems like a lot of weight hanging off the back. I would worry that even on moderate roads that there would be lots of torque put on the rack. Maybe if you kept the cargo limited to the lightweight bulky stuff.

I don't know much about such things, really think that 400 lbs bouncing around off the hitch would be too much? Isn't that what they're made for?

Four adults, a big dog and 300 lb of gear = approaching your WJ's 1150 lb cargo capacity.. I'd say it's time for a larger vehicle, or a trailer. That bumper hitch carrier will be a big hindrance off-road, more so than a trailer.

Interesting, I never thought about that. What is that 1150.b based off of? Suspension and ride quality? Thanks for the replies guys!!

tarditi

Explorer
Get a rear tire carrier and free up some space on your roof. Could also be outfitted with a spare fuel can and hi-lift jack carrier - if needed.
You really want to keep your CG as low as possible, so don't go crazy with roof loads.

Scrutinize everything you bring - in both weight and size.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You're gonna have to face reality--

If you want much more cargo space, you must get a larger 4x4, or a trailer and the number of off road trailers available is large, plus

With a good off road trailer, there's nowhere your vehicle will go, that your trailer can't also--no loss of maneuverability-

Mine has gone everywhere my jeep has gone and when the trail turned to sharp, I just unhook, reposition and rehook=simple-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

olly hondro

mad scientist
Add me to the group that says you need a bigger truck. Seriously, if you have to hang stuff off the front, rear, and roof then the truck is too small. Note my vehicle: full size spare fits inside, hi lift jack inside, no extra fuel cans as the stock tank is sufficiently large for 400 mile range.M2017_3.jpgflex1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz