Is there a better option for more cargo carrying??

Rot Box

Explorer
I have a cheaper version of the hitch cargo rack. I used it once or twice on my old 100 series and it.. well it worked I guess but I wan't a big fan of it. I will say it was nice to get the gas cans and fire wood out of the vehicle. You could try one like the one I have to see if you like it before spending a lot of money. You can get them down around $50 with coupons: http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

I was in the same situation with my 100 series. There's me, my wife, two kids, two large breed dogs and a fridge along with all the camping gear :Wow1: I considered a trailer and while there are nice options out there the cons outweighed the pros for me. I ended up going back to my F350 which provides plenty of space for everything and everyone although I did loose some off road capability.

Out of curiosity, is there anywhere else you could store your spare tires? Seems you could gain a fair amount of space if the tire was relocated back to the factory location.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I would agree with the suggestion you look at all your gear very carefully for size & wgt.

Chairs....lots of ways to go smaller & lighter, great thread on the Great Chair debate here on Expo
Cooking gear, I bet you could make some changes if you really thought about what you NEED vs what you bring.
Tent/pads/bags...some changes are possible but this is one area where my aching back won't argue about a great pad
Food/Fridge/Cooler....not sure what your setup is here but might be some changes are possible.

2nd vehicle...talk the brother into getting a rig and the dog can ride with him :)

Howard70

Adventurer
Compaction

How long are your trips? That might influence how much space you need. I definitely wouldn't use the hitch cargo carrier if you can avoid it. Here's some strategy that might be helpful.

1. Spare on rear bumper carrier, two rows of seats for four folks, limited space in back for dog. That leaves two areas for gear - rest of inside and roof rack.

2. You decide how much of the interior space you need for heavy "must be inside" communal gear, and how much roof rack space you need for light "can be outside" communal gear.

3. Divide remaining inside space by 4, determine what size duffels can be accommodated in that room and tell everyone they get one inside duffel of that size.

4. Divide remaining outside space by 4, determine what size duffels can be accommodated in that room and tell everyone they get one outside duffel of that size.

5. Everyone gets a small day pack (Black Diamond Bbee or similar size) for stuff they need while travelling. Driver and two rear passengers day packs go between the rear passengers on the rear seat. Front passenger day pack on floor at front passenger's feet.

6. If possible, consider a gravity water purifier to augment the water you carry so that you don't have to carry as much water. Water for 4 people and a dog will become limiting very quickly - figure at least 5 gallons a day for the whole party which means at least 10 gallons for an overnight or just under 1.5 cubic feet.

7. When you go on longer trips (more water, more food, possibly fuel) then use a trailer. As mentioned in previous posts it will have more maneuverability than the rear hitch cargo carrier.

I've found it really difficult to evaluate what individual students want to take on field trips, but if I tell them that they can take whatever they want as long as it fits into two duffels (the inside and outside bags) things smooth out quickly.

Howard

PatriotUSMC

Observer
Out of curiosity, is there anywhere else you could store your spare tires? Seems you could gain a fair amount of space if the tire was relocated back to the factory location.

I use the tire well under the floor to store gear that I always leave in the Jeep. Recovery gear, air compressor, get home bag, fire extinguisher, assorted fluids and rags. I didn't want these things sitting in a visible location to deter break ins.

PatriotUSMC

Observer
I would agree with the suggestion you look at all your gear very carefully for size & wgt.

Chairs....lots of ways to go smaller & lighter, great thread on the Great Chair debate here on Expo
Cooking gear, I bet you could make some changes if you really thought about what you NEED vs what you bring.
Tent/pads/bags...some changes are possible but this is one area where my aching back won't argue about a great pad
Food/Fridge/Cooler....not sure what your setup is here but might be some changes are possible.

2nd vehicle...talk the brother into getting a rig and the dog can ride with him :)

Yeah I like this suggestion, going to reevaluate all my large gear and see what I can shrink or do without.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I use the tire well under the floor to store gear that I always leave in the Jeep. Recovery gear, air compressor, get home bag, fire extinguisher, assorted fluids and rags. I didn't want these things sitting in a visible location to deter break ins.
Some of that stuff should fit inside the spare wheel when stored in the factory location (assuming it stores wheel face down). Also, fire extinguisher should be in the cabin.

Jason

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unless you're just going out for the day I would think your vehicle is too small for 4 full sized adults + a large dog.

If you don't want to consider a larger vehicle (Suburban, Expedition or Excursion sized vehicle) then I'd say a 1 1/4 ton trailer would probably be your best bet.

Binksman

Observer
I'm another vote for the trailer. I spent $250 on an ex-National Guard generator trailer that's 8'ft long and has better ground clearance and depart/approach angles than my ZJ does. The Jeep pulls it fine and I can load whatever I want on it.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Interesting, I never thought about that. What is that 1150.b based off of? Suspension and ride quality? Thanks for the replies guys!!

It is a whole host of items, from strength of the frame, to the brake perfomance to ride quality and what. You can increase those numbers with careful mods, but there is a point when it is to much weight for the truck it self. There should be a good explination of it in your owners manual. You then get into tire load ranges and then it goes down hill from there haha.

Malamute

Observer
I've used both trailers and hitch cargo racks. They both have uses, and good and bad points. For simplicity, the hitch mount rack works fine. The potential loss of mobility is going to be going through ditches, steep spots, etc. The opposite of that, a trailer, can follow about anywhere the tow vehicle can go, but isn't as simple to turn around, or park in parking lots etc. I prefer to park where I can see my vehicle when eating on the road etc, and with a trailer, that isn't as simple to do. The weak point of the wal mart hitch rack ($50) was the rear clearance. I'm planning on taking a tow hitch, flipping it, and using it as a mount to raise the rack about 4-6", and making it foldable, which will also allow it to move when going through ditches etc.

If the hitch rack would add enough capacity, and dragging it isn't going to be an issue, I go with it over a trailer any day. I take it hunting also, so I don't have to throw dead deer or whatever in the Suburban. It makes a decent place to hang out outside the vehicle, to eat, sit or whatever. This I learned because half the time I use it to take trash to the dump etc, I forget to take it off and it goes along for the ride a lot.

summerprophet

Adventurer

I do not mean to be offensive in my reply, just realistic.

If your fire extinguisher is in the spare wheel well, underneath all your other cargo, it is doing nothing more than taking up valuable space. Leave it at home, and find something else to squirrel away there.

5 seconds is a long time for fire to spread, and 20 seconds is an eternity. From the drivers seat, with the vehicle in gear and running, to stopped, off and fire extinguisher in hand, I am guessing you are in the 40-50 second range. This likely means you will empty the extinguisher, before eliminating the fire.

The only possibly reason to keep it in place would be regulatory, in a case to travel in a recreation area one is required to have an extinguisher. You would then meet the requirements of the law, rather than the intent.

Again, not trying to be offensive, as I don't have one in my rig....... But 2 in my garage and three in my house.

Malamute

Observer
^ ^ ^ Agree with that point, a fire extinguisher needs to be instantly available. I keep one bungee corded to the aside of the passenger seat frame on one Suburban. Open that door and its in your face so to speak. Keep another one on the side shelf over the rear wheel well of the other Suburban. Yes, it sits out in the open. No better place than being able to see it when needed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior