Tomb Raider replica

haven

Expedition Leader
I found this vehicle for sale on the Atlanta CraigsList. 32,000 miles, asking price $40,000.

LRtombraider.jpg

Reportedly the truck is a military version of the 130. I guess at this price the truck falls into the same category as those TLC replica Land Cruisers.

Here's the link to the ad, with lots more photos
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/598244897.html

Chip Haven

TeriAnn

Explorer
sinuhexavier said:
Who wants to play, "What's wrong with this truck?"

Not me!

One of the beauties of series and Defender Land Rovers is that they are the ultimate production 4X4 tinker toy vehicle. They can be easily modified to fit just about everyone's needs or fantasies.

Series and Defender Land Rovers are nothing if not rich in diversity.

Michael Slade

Untitled
sinuhexavier said:

The only thing wrong I see is to call it a Tomb Raider replica. Everything else I consider hideous would fall under the category of 'subjective'.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
While not the way I'd put a vehicle together, still something I wouldn't pass up if given to me. The price is way too steep and I don't think it shares anything w/ the Tomb Raider except color and a badge. Now if that was advertised for 10K there would be plenty of folks ready to snatch it up. Give me a day with a wrench and it'd look much better.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
ckkone said:
For sale again....This thing has been on eBay about a dozen times...

That kind of person just doesn't get how EBay works. Thye'll keep losing money in listing fees until they drop their price or find someone with less sense than they have.

revor

Explorer
Quite an interesting compilation of parts.. Carbed V8 and a TD5 prop rod and Bonnet. I've seen this truck before, If I recall it was origanally mounted with an anti aircraft battery in the rear. Ex mod means it should be 2.5 NA diesel or if very late a 300 TDI, Probably a 300, the Right side wing has a 300 TDI air intake. Steering wheel is a 1996 and later version with the 48 splines on the shaft. The Radiator expansion tank is pre 1996. Vented Discs' also 1996 or later..

My guess it's a 1996 130 Ex MOD with a 3.5 V8 fitted.

Pretty clean and you can see the Waxoil peeling so it was a UK truck. The motor has been swapped in.. I'd take it for the right price. Strip all the Diamond plate off and put a proper (at least injected) motor in it, and loose the wheels putting in their place some Wolf type..

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Subjective, yes.

Building a replica of a movie car, which was a production designers vision in the first place, just seems like an exercise in model building. This gentleman went as far as having Lara Croft badges made, but couldn't source the same wheels and tires? Couldn't find a Mantec snorkel?

LaraCroft01.jpg

I applaud this crafty person for their tinkering, but why call it a "replica"? I would have been more impressed if it were painted white and called "restored". In my view a replica needs to be replicated down to the smallest detail.

He had the base and clearly the skill, why not replicate a truly original Land Rover?

Wmik3-05.jpg

Or even *Gasp*... A Camel Trophy support vehicle?

CamelLandrover03.jpg

I know car culture runs rampant in these United States, but why, oh why not rebuild something with some history, instead of some made for Hollywood flash on the screen?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Sinuhe,

I think you might be mistaking this board for EE or Dweb.:violent-smiley-031: Not too many people here care too much about correctness of the vehicle as much as they care about how it functions.

gjackson

FRGS
Ex mod means it should be 2.5 NA diesel or if very late a 300 TDI

Nope. This is a 130 Rapier gun tractor. They had the V8 and the LT77 in the MOD just as this one does. I would assume that they didn't do an engine swap as putting a carbed V8 in as a swap would be a bit dumb.

You could make a heck of a camper our of this truck, but it certainly isn't worth $40k.

cheers

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
sinuhexavier said:
Beyond the fact that it shouldn't be here? 93 is not old enough to import in the the US legally. So it either has a D90 or D110 vin or something else is fishy that may well get it confiscated and crushed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke