7K of USA

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Washed, love marks rubbed out, and waxed. Also painted the wiper arms and emblem. Cleans up pretty well for 20 years old!

10352938_1520800024818507_4207940216945462819_n.jpg

1901281_1520801651485011_4108876953143646148_n.jpg

Didn't realize it when I bought the truck but it got a junkyard driver fender at some point. Paint match looks good to my untrained eye but noticed when I was waxing it that it had a pinstripe haha. Removed it with a little goof off and my finger nail.

Last edited:

east_tn_81

Adventurer
This thing is starting to look real good. Keep up the good work. What are your plans for the bare metal on the bed side?

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
What are your plans for the bare metal on the bed side?

I hit both sides with a little primer for the time being. If the camper fits in the bed like I think it will ill be able to shut the tail gate with the camper loaded. If that's the case I'll probably get a kit from paint scratch and touch up the bed when I paint the tail gate to match. Probably get another qt of Herculiner to do the inside and top rail of the tail gate to match the bed.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I used Herculiner. Pretty pleased with the result. As with any paint job its all in the prep.

The camper is 7'6"

I'm going to sell my pickup, and bedlining would be the perfect way to solve a couple paint issues..

Your camper is for a mini-truck. I wondered when you said it didn't clear the cab as those cabs are about the shortest (bed to top of cab) of any truck. There are some real benefits to having the smaller truck camper - like you can get a lot of storage under and next to the camper - while minimizing overhang. Best part of all, when it comes time to sell, you'll get good value return - whereas if you have a full-size camper, you may be stuck hauling it to the dump to get rid of it....

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Your camper is for a mini-truck. I wondered when you said it didn't clear the cab as those cabs are about the shortest (bed to top of cab) of any truck. There are some real benefits to having the smaller truck camper - like you can get a lot of storage under and next to the camper - while minimizing overhang. Best part of all, when it comes time to sell, you'll get good value return - whereas if you have a full-size camper, you may be stuck hauling it to the dump to get rid of it....

The guy I bought it from severely undervalued the camper in my opinion. Especially since ill have a 2014 6x10 trailer to sell when I separate them.

Whats the recommended clearance over the cab? I want to keep it tight to keep drag to a minimum but also don't want the camper kissing the cab if I flex the bed out. Looks like the PO's might have at one point due to clapped out front mounts, couple good scratches on the roof.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
These showed up truck freight today! 4 heated captains out of an 03 Escalade!

Definitely owned by a woman who smelled like stripper perfume, and had messy kids judging by the back seat crumbs and sticky factor. Haha

Leather is all in good shape save for a little 1/2" rip on the driver side bottom.
Got the center console as well, not sure if Ill be able to use it with the manual but I'm going to give it a go.
10561808_1521435841421592_79561493022502854_n.jpg

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Got the rears mocked up.

Going to have to modify the out side of the seat bracket to meet up with the floor, drop it 2" essentially. That will give me 3 out of 4 oem locations and the 4th ill punch a hole in the pan and use a grade 8 3/8" with a big fish plate on the back.
10603307_1521759658055877_4848366080759424295_n.jpg

10592978_1521759671389209_1465381449450946337_n.jpg

Fold flat is kinda a nice feature for putting stuff in the back. Might try to track down the trim plates that went in the Escalade to cover the frames when they are folded.
10348990_1521759681389208_9179761608519522738_n.jpg

Fronts are going to be easier to mount as the seat frame bottoms are flat and so is the floor, probably only be able to grab 2 OEM bolt locations for the front and ill have to punch the other 2.
After I figure out the wiring.. I cant mount them until I can move the seats under power..

Console will be fun too..

snowblind

Adventurer
I did this with seats from an 04 Silverado put into a 72 Jimmy. If the escalade seats are like most GM seats you will just need 2+ wires and a ground to run the power adjustments.

To get the heated seats and memory to work you will also need the control switches from the door(s).

This one is on Ebay right now.
$_1.JPG

Matt
2001 Suburban 2500

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The rig is coming together nicely Outback! I remember seeing that truck on CL a few weeks ago. There is a ’95 white extended cab long bed K2500 with a big block and 5 speed manual for sale in Pueblo that is on CL. At first glance, I thought you bought that one. That one probably would have been better in the power department but at the expense of cab space. Keep up the nice work.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
The rig is coming together nicely Outback! I remember seeing that truck on CL a few weeks ago. There is a '95 white extended cab long bed K2500 with a big block and 5 speed manual for sale in Pueblo that is on CL. At first glance, I thought you bought that one. That one probably would have been better in the power department but at the expense of cab space. Keep up the nice work.

Thanks!

I was really interested in an 88 K30 3+3 dully that was up in Cheyenne but after doing some measuring I realized that my camper was going to be too skinny for the jacks to clear the fenders. Looked like a really nice truck in the pics though..

I think I know the truck your talking about, if its the one I'm thinking about its been on there a month or more.

I knew from the beginning I wanted a crew, as a 6'2" dude whos ridden in plenty ex cabs I know putting one or 2 guys plus some stuff in the back of one isn't much fun for longer hauls.
When I had the escalade interior swap idea it pretty much sealed the deal. Since I'm planning a 6.0 swap I was mostly worried about the rest of the components being in decent shape.

This thing runs well for 224K on the clock though. I think a set of rebuilt heads and a really good tune up it would go another 224. Has good power and runs well but every once in a while it will throw down a solid puff of white smoke. Doesn't drip anything on the ground, bonus. And the AC blows super cold, double bonus.

Ive put about 250miles on it, so far it needs:

Serp belt and tensioner pulley
Rear pass window crank
All new steering components between the knuckles (might as well do it all at once)
Ignition switch
Hydro brake booster, brakes feel good but im hearing a lot of hydro noise in the cab and it looks like fluid is leaking down the fire wall, not sure if its break or PS fluid.
Headlight switch
Bunch of other little stuff.

Last edited:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I did this with seats from an 04 Silverado put into a 72 Jimmy. If the escalade seats are like most GM seats you will just need 2+ wires and a ground to run the power adjustments.

To get the heated seats and memory to work you will also need the control switches from the door(s).

This one is on Ebay right now.
View attachment 241831

Matt
2001 Suburban 2500

I'm planning to get a couple of the switches so I can run the heat. Going to poke at the wiring this weekend as well as finish up the mounting for the rear.
The 16 pin connector has a big red and black so I figure that's where to start with power and ground. Finding a diagram for the seats online hasnt been easy, no luck so far..

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
I saw these pop up on craigslist. They are for an 01-06 or something like that. For 40 bucks I couldnt say no. They dont fit as well around the bottom of the base as I would like but for the price of admission I cant complain over much. Especially since my driver was cracked and passenger mirror rattled something fierce.
1604925_1526547050910471_4660092565583034426_n.jpg

10666020_1526547074243802_4527365285550226332_n.jpg

I bought this truck knowing it had ignition switch issues, until this evening that meant hitting it an extra time or two occasionally to start it.. That came to an end, stopped for gas and it never started back up. Guess that's what I get for being lazy about it, I hate when a $12 part costs me a $75 tow..

Last edited:

superbuickguy

Explorer
AAA is always the answer. I've had them for decades, but to this day, if you add up the amount they paid for tows vs. how much I paid for coverage... I'm at least 75% to the good.... one of the "I'm so glad I have it" came from having to be towed from Stevens' pass ski resort to my home (1 1/2 hours away) on a day that most of Seattle was shut down because of a snow storm....

Of course, the point of that (above) isn't to make you feel bad - I haven't yet mentioned the reason for the tow. I knew the transmission fluid lines were well-used (solid rubber, as opposed to soft rubber)... I was going up the pass and pushing it pretty hard... it blew the line. Cost me a new transmission.... ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne