can I sync my garmin Nuvi 2577LT to iPad?

scarmke

I was interested in using the GPS function of my Garmin but maps aps on my iPad, does anyone know if this is possible?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
No this is not possible. You would need a Bluetooth GPS module for this, if you ipad has Bluetooth. I am under the understanding that only 3g versions have bt. If you had a tablet that ran windows 8.1 pro you could use your nuvi through USB and be good to go.

I am using a combination of windows tablet (which I think I will be using full time as soon as there is torque pro available, coming soon), and I use my android tablet with bt for nav at the moment. My windows tablet is way ahead of both the ipad my son has and my android tablet. By a large margin too.

tarditi

Explorer
I've got a BT GPS reciever - could part with it if you want to go that route. It's just sitting in my drawer right now.
All it does is receive the GPS signal and retrans it via BT - it's pretty small, about the size of a multitool.

You will, of course, need some sort of mapping software on your tablet.

scarmke

I guess I will likely get a Delorme Explorer, seems like that provides the most flexible functionality on the market. The next big trip is Buenos Aires to Tierra del Fuego so the added features are likely worth the investment.

uli2000

Adventurer
Apple iOS devices don't support the bluetooth serial protocol, so outside of a couple of Apple approved bluetooth GPS devices, they won't work with an iPad or iPhone. The only ones I can think of at the moment are the Garmin GLO, and two that I don't know the models of, Bad Elf and Dual. I know the latter two are sold at pilot suppliers like Sporty's. They usually run ~$100, quite a bit more than a generic BT GPS, but most of that is due to the "Apple Tax".

samer0214

Slightly old thread, but here is what you can do to run almost any bluetooth receiver with an iPad. I currently do that on my iPad 2:

1) Jailbreak it (for free)
2) Download the "BTstack GPS" application from Cydia (about $5 for lifetime)
3) Run any bluetooth receiver you want. I currently am using Globalsat BT-368 (now discontinued) but you can pick a receiver of your choice
4) Run your choice of mapping software such as Google Maps for street navigation or Gaia for off road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94