Pulling an M116 with a Tacoma

bean20

Hello, this is my first post here. I've been looking for a trailer to pull behind my 2011 Double Cab Tacoma. I've found a M116A3 with a 6000 lb high clearance axle. I'm thinking of mounting a camperette on it and possibly put my RTT on top or using this as a base to build an off-road tear drop.

The trailer is 8' long x 6'2" wide

I'm wondering if this is too much trailer for my truck? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

Attachments

• image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 28

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Great trailers and easy to lighten. A New axle with electric brakes and matching Toyota bolt pattern and lose the surge lunette.
are easy ways to shed pounds. This is the best 116 build on Expo. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50968-ROAM-Camper-build

Thanks Mark...much appreciated

To bean20...tough as hell trailer, and easy to mod. I changed out the axle to electric brakes, and dropped the front about 3"...and actually did the same thing to both my M116A2's. The camper weighs about 2600lbs loaded, and I pull it with a 5th gen 4runner with no issues. I do see folks swap out the axles for non-brake models, but I would not recommend that.

On the camper I use a Max coupler, and on the utility trailer I use a Bulldog coupler, which has better articulation than a standard ball coupler.

Good luck...I'm actually always on the prowl for that model, so if you think it's a fair price grab it.

p.s. ...Mark is the man when itre-purposing or selling any parts you may have left over if you 1-m116a2.jpgdecide to strip anything off.

bean20

thanks for the quick response guys. I figured the 6000 lb high clearance axle was a feature of this unit, what axle would you swap it out with. The trailer is essentially new having been pulled from military storage, does the existing axle have any resale value?

I'm in BC, so the unit has been imported into Canada. $1500 seem like a fair price?

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
thanks for the quick response guys. I figured the 6000 lb high clearance axle was a feature of this unit, what axle would you swap it out with. The trailer is essentially new having been pulled from military storage, does the existing axle have any resale value?

I'm in BC, so the unit has been imported into Canada. $1500 seem like a fair price?

I think Mark has more of the resale experience.

I used a 5000 lb.(3" dia.) Dexter Nev-r-lube, and it was a direct bolt up. I cut off all the old perches, and welded them back on. In your case you may have to remount a bottom shock stud, or find a set of perch plates with the shock stud on it.

In order to make my Trail wheels fit the trailer, I needed to used Spidertrax to go from lug centric to the hub centric wheels on the truck. I was only able to order lug centric 6 x 5.5 from Dexter at the time...maybe that has changed by now. I'm not familiar with the Taco wheel set up.

I think the price is a bit high, but if it's clean it's not unreasonable.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The price is high for the states, I have seen personal sales go for under $750.00 and GL under $200.00
But you have an import that had fees attached and if it is also registered that is worth something too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier