Gen 2.5 Mitsubishi Montero 2000 - Over-landing Family Truck - long term enhancement

jlocster

Explorer
Ray, the pic in post #43 are indeed the torsion bars but this is not the end you tighten for adjustment. Follow the torsion bars back in the opposite direction towards the rear of the vehicle. At the the other end you will find a vertically oriented threaded bolt with two nuts on it. The top nut is a locknut which must be loosened before the bottom adjustment nut can be turned. You'll want to make the adjustments with the vehicle on the ground, the suspension weighted. Make sure you count the turns of the lower adjustment nut so you raise both sides equally. If you loose count (as I did when I did mine), you can measure from the top of your front hubs to the lip of the fender wheel arch with a tape measure to make sure both sides are even.

Also, after you set the torsion bars and tighten the lock and adjustment nuts down, you'll want to take the car around the block for the suspension to settle and then re-measure the lift, and re-adjust as necessary. It took me about five tries to get both sides even. Finally, you'll need to get an alignment after the torsion bars are dialed in. Good luck!

raysobi

Adventurer
Thank you JL!

You are spot on! I was expecting the front lift location would be a lot closer towards the front suspension.

Thanks! I will update with pictures

raysobi

Adventurer
9a0dfa2c8f83eff15dfaed539348d41d.jpg

Ok so I loosen one female and I realized there are two on top of each other. I have to loosen them both?

413e56731cbdaaa3ac1b94325c75066e.jpg

The bottom one is very easy to identify

Last edited:
9a0dfa2c8f83eff15dfaed539348d41d.jpg

Ok so I loosen one female and I realized there are two on top of each other. I have to loosen them both?

413e56731cbdaaa3ac1b94325c75066e.jpg

The bottom one is very easy to identify

Yes. Loosen both top nuts. They are designed to lock against each other to prevent getting loose.

raysobi

Adventurer
You're in Houston right? I'll bring mine over so you can do it next.
Hah!

I threw a towel, put a lug nut back because no matter how much I turned the bolt, drove around, it is still sitting on the same stance.

Right now I am too frustrated to continue.

Hah!

I threw a towel, put a lug nut back because no matter how much I turned the bolt, drove around, it is still sitting on the same stance.

Right now I am too frustrated to continue.
Loosen both top nuts. You need to hold the lower top nut while you tighten the main bolt. When done tighten the lower top bolt, then the upper top bolt.

jhill15

Explorer
Ive been reading your thread and looked on pocuk for you on how to raise your torsion bars. Hopefully this will help out a little. http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51973

Im not sure which way the bolts turn clock wise or counter clock wise but I do know to lift you need to tighten the bolts, the more the bolts move towards the floorboard of your truck the higher the lift. another trick to get them even is to etch a line on the bottom of the frame and an arrow on the head of the bolt facing line then you have a reference as to where your bolt is and how many turns you have made. You could probably use a sharpie it might be easier.

Last edited:

raysobi

Adventurer
ALL!

I got it! Thank You so much for all the input.

Lesson learned are the following:

1. Dirt, dust and rust are your biggest enemy. I showered the lugs and nuts with WD40 and blow it with my air gun, but be prepared to make 1 hour of turning if your bolts are rusted with dirts (like mine)

2. You kind of loosen the second bolt a little just to get it going but while you are turning the bottom bolt, the top bolt "must stay still" use your wrench to hold it

3. Lift your front up, both wheels to relieve the stress. Make sure to pull your hand break for your safety

4. Spaces...I'm a big guy and its hard for me to work on such a narrow space but I did manages to unscrew the top lug little by little

5. I didn't even count the turns, I used my tape measure instead, 2 inches lift later and my car stance looks a lot better now

Again thank you to you all that contribute with this adventure of mine with these helpful advices and info.

It's too late now but I will post before and after picture later.

Last edited:

complex

Nice sketch - can't wait to see it mocked up. I'm looking into getting a Montero 2.5 and your build thread is a big inspiration!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke