kiwi build thread. ARB, OME Dakar...drawers + fridge underway.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Very glad to see this being developed for a very capable yet under-represented overland platform! I drive my 2014 Xterra daily and love it.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Kurt what do you plan to place in the drawer unit?

I assume your going with the System Alpha?

These TrekBoxx units are very nice!

It will be closely based on the system alpha. We used that as the template and made a few changes for the size vehicle we are working with and a couple of preference changes for practicallity and lighter weight. For all intents and purposes, it will functionally be a system alpha for the xTerra. I plan on using the smaller drawer as a misc/admin drawer, and the locking drawer to secure more expensive items/tools. It secures higher investment items with another level of security, and puts a contained place for all of those "odds and ends" that seem to have no good home. That, and having the work space makes a good station to pull out a map and brief, make a lunch, or etc.

Home-brew setups like what Stoic has work pretty well also, and he really likes his. If you are on a tight budget, its the way to go. I chose to go this route because I wanted something with a little higher fit and finish, pull out/locking/latching drawers, and a few more storage options.

The other consideration we worked with was modularity. With this system, I can remove the fridge, leave the drawers intact, use the locking feature of the drawer for security and still pull the privacy shade over the cargo area. That is day-in-day-out practical.

I don't have enough positive things to say about working with David, either. He has been extremely receptive to adapting things to make it a system that works for this truck and what people will want out of it.

Last edited:

Tinfish

Observer
Also looking forwarding to seeing photos and some detailed specs for weight, cost, etc. Thanks for starting the write-up!

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Yep. We are a ways out from install as I said in the op....probably 6-8weeks. We both have some things going on and he has to start making the designs and such. Just wanted to get a heads up out there that it is in the works.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Nice. I am on the fence about the ARB bumper. I really like the "old style" Calmini bumper that kind of mimicked the ARB barwork, but with a better bumper design IMO. Will be looking forward to your impressions of it.

(I have a pair of OME HD front coils/struts and a PRG 3-leaf mini pack sitting in my garage, and a set of 255/85 KM2's on their way via UPS, as well)

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Nice. I am on the fence about the ARB bumper. I really like the "old style" Calmini bumper that kind of mimicked the ARB barwork, but with a better bumper design IMO. Will be looking forward to your impressions of it.

(I have a pair of OME HD front coils/struts and a PRG 3-leaf mini pack sitting in my garage, and a set of 255/85 KM2's on their way via UPS, as well)

there are a lot of bumpers on the market, and some with good features....imo, though, ARB is king. Its the most common bumper on vehicles by far for a reason.

For me, to have something I know is airbag certified, great fit and finish, with a great brand reputation behind it is worth it. especially since most of the other bumpers on the market arent that much cheaper anyway. plus, ARB is the only bumper ive seen for the xterra that doesnt crumple your front fenders as the truck flexes....imi expect resale value to be better with an ARB also.

$.02

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I agree with you completely about the ARB product line and also about the resale value after the fact. Truthfully, my only hangup with the design is the low-mounted "hidden" winch design. Here in the northeast the whole lower half of the bumper can pretty easily get buried in the mud and a "high winch" design like the Calmini has a real advantage. It's all compromises though, and in the end I would not be surprised if there is an ARB adorning the front of mine.

Will be following your build with interest. I tried hanging out on the Xterra forums but I didn't "fit in" so it's good to have some Xterra knowledge here.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
yeah....the xterra forums can be a b it trying at times....less traffic here, but for the most part the trolls/trolling is contained to the off topic thread.....

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Just had the XTerra measured for drawers/fridge slide....

Sliders ordered... :p. Sent pm to boulder ironwork about a rear bumper....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne