kiwi build thread. ARB, OME Dakar...drawers + fridge underway.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Decided to go all in. TrekBoxx came by and measured my xterra as a template for drawer/fridge slide combo. We should be installing a prototype early this fall.

There were a lot of space constraints and issues we had to work around, and I'll go into more details on that when I have the unit installed and can show people what I mean.

Some positives that came out of the session were: fitment for an ARB47L or National Luna 50 weekender (their 40l fridge, 10l freezer combo unit) or similar size, locking drawer, and a locking utility drawer under the fridge slide. We came up with some ways to save considerable amounts of weight (which was my #1 priority in the system design) compared to other units I have seen in other trucks, and the system will be quick-release to remove from the vehicle when you don't want it.

All in all I'm pretty excited about it. Probably be 8-10 weeks until we have it installed, but I'm pretty jazzed its happening at all since we currently have zero options I am aware of.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Yeah it is..... I may go with the ARB 50 instead. The NL is over 2x the cost of the ARB of similar size and Im debating if I can justify it.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
This box will be just the trunk area, allowing full use of the rear seats. the Fridge will be on the passenger side of the truck to allow more storage space with the 60% part of the rear seat fold down if you choose. That was based on what I saw as the most economical use of space available....I frequently travel with 4 passengers, but never less than three...this way all the passengers can fit comfortably, and should I only have 3 and want more storage space, I have the 60% fold down available instead of the 40.

tarditi

Explorer
Good call!

I'm interested in making my truck a part-time overlander with DD duty as well. Need seating for 4 also - very interested in seeing what you come up with. Right now, rear cargo area is taken with my Dosko Campmate, stove & cooler + tents, sleeping bags, etc.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
After doing a multi day trip with 3 adults and Kiwi, I know I am going to have to put luggage on the roof. Going to use a roof rack for personal luggage, sleeping bags, and tent. Inside the truck will be the gear. The advantage to this design TrekBoxx has is that the fridge slides out, and then the 4" admid drawer slides out from under the fridge...both the slides lock into position, and the 4" drawer has a work table surface. So when you stop for lunch, you dont have to unpack the entire truck. You pull the fridge-side slides out and make lunch right there on the table and you are good to go.

The other concern I had other than weight was quick release, becasue I dont want the fridge and drawer in the truck all the time. Dave at TrekBoxx was really really good about taking what I was looking for into account of the design and is very accomodating. I think most of the things I am looking for/concerned with are largely universal with the xterra community(at least among the ones Ive talked with)...save weight, utilize space effeciently, maintain maximum possible cargo area flexibility.

tarditi

Explorer
Yep - I've been on the fence about getting a cargo basket for the roof or just working out a way for my roof carrier (streamlined xcargo) to attach - just need a different mounting solution - stock x-bars are too porky.

stioc

Expedition Leader
After doing a multi day trip with 3 adults and Kiwi, I know I am going to have to put luggage on the roof. Going to use a roof rack for personal luggage, sleeping bags, and tent. Inside the truck will be the gear. The advantage to this design TrekBoxx has is that the fridge slides out, and then the 4" admid drawer slides out from under the fridge...both the slides lock into position, and the 4" drawer has a work table surface. So when you stop for lunch, you dont have to unpack the entire truck. You pull the fridge-side slides out and make lunch right there on the table and you are good to go.

The other concern I had other than weight was quick release, becasue I dont want the fridge and drawer in the truck all the time. Dave at TrekBoxx was really really good about taking what I was looking for into account of the design and is very accomodating. I think most of the things I am looking for/concerned with are largely universal with the xterra community(at least among the ones Ive talked with)...save weight, utilize space effeciently, maintain maximum possible cargo area flexibility.

Maximizing space yet bringing all the things that make the trips fun and making quick/convenient lunches and saving weight is a pretty good challenge :) especially when you travel with more than 2 people. The space gets tight and the weight goes over GVWR pretty quickly in our small SUVs. However, you're on the right track by keeping all these things in mind while designing the solution. Look forward to seeing how the TrekBoxx looks.

Mine doesn't look nice but it has done the job just fine for the last two years and only weighs around 20 lbs, yet I have put over 120+ lbs on it fairly regularly on our trips.

4F2003C4-15F7-4EE5-BA03-BC80F4C44212_zpsd35acguv.jpg

final_zpsceb10706.jpg

jerdog53

Explorer
Kurt what do you plan to place in the drawer unit?

I assume your going with the System Alpha?

These TrekBoxx units are very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles