kiwi build thread. ARB, OME Dakar...drawers + fridge underway.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Coating options is something to discuss with TrekBoxx when they are ready to produce them...I don't want to speak out of hand for them on what they would offer.

They have sold a ton of LC systems and are ramping up for the jeep market where there is a lot of demand. On the one hand, lots of Xterra guys want drawer systems and there aren't any available. On the other hand, the xterra market is largely a bunch of cheap skates (my words, not Trek's). TB worked with me because from a business sense, the market is good. No major changes for going on 10 years, so lots of vehicles, and no one making systems. My concern was that Xterra people wont pay the price for an engineered solution like this....which is how this project ended up being born. TB will be gauging interest based on this unit and go from there. I go to a decent amount of meets/trips, so we'll see what happens with interest. When the system is complete, I'll post over on the newX forum.....

skibum315

Explorer
Coating options is something to discuss with TrekBoxx when they are ready to produce them...I don't want to speak out of hand for them on what they would offer.
Fair, and makes sense ... just thought it worth mentioning, especially since you never know who's listening/watching. ;)

On the other hand, the xterra market is largely a bunch of cheap skates (my words, not Trek's).
Amen ... unfortunate, but true (my anecdotal observation as well; and our aftermarket suffers partly due to this, IMO).

When the system is complete, I'll post over on the newX forum.....
Cool ... probably a good place, XN would be another, but I'm not active over there & have thought of it (perhaps unfairly) as more focused on social rather than tech topics.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Its just a reality. The Xterra is a great overlanding platform. And being over 10k cheaper than a comparable 4runner is great. The issue is, if you look on the xterra forums, people are looking for shackle lifts and spacers. In the toyota forums, guys are asking "whats better total chaos or B..." "Icon remote resi? or fox? or radlfo?" As a community, they are just ready to, on average, spend more on their rigs than the average xterra guy is.

Granted, thats just my impression from mindless internet wandering.....who knows. people could be jazzed about it!

jhberria

Adventurer
How was the install on the ARB bumper? What are your impressions, overall, of the OME suspension with the bumper? I'm thinking of going with the same setup, hence my inquiries. Nice truck!

KiwiKurt

Explorer
i did not install the bumper myself. I've done lifts before, which are no big deal at all, but given some personal time constraints and the fact I wanted no part of that bumper isntall on essentially a brand new truck, I let Mudrak Custom Cruisers do the work on the bumper and lift. (props to Gary)

It rides great. I cant recommend the set up enough. Rides the way it should have from the factory. If you plan on adding armor, I highly suggest that you strongly consider the HD over the medium set up.

chmura

Adventurer
ARB bumper, super sliders, and OME HD Dakar installed. Pardon the fat finger in the pics.

Truck rides great now. It's how it should have been from the factory. The front compresses maybe an eighth of an inch when my wife stands on it, so the hd springs will hold a winch no problem. Based on the ride, I was concerned they would compress too much under load, but it seems great. The hd Dakar pack has enough rigidity and lift to hold the drawers and fridge and keep it level or slightly raked.

I'll park it next to a stocker next time I'm able.

View attachment 251422
View attachment 251423

Looks awesome!

Love the look of the ARB front bumper on the XTerra's! I need to get myself a ARB bumper soon.

I believe I met you at the Monache Meadows trip few months ago.

Glad to see your build is coming along nicely!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looks great Kurt! Good to hear you're liking the OME suspension so much, and that ARB looks awesome on there. Can't wait to see the drawer system once it's finished.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I didn't have the full weekend available, so its not 100% done...however, the building is finished. Going to prime and coat it this week and final install this weekend. I'll put pictures up once the unit is complete. One of his suppliers sent an inccorect locking slide, so we have to do an exchange this week for the correct unit. The only thing it wont have until december/january is the metal welding work/framing/shelf around the fridge for the shelf....but that is an optional piece anyway. With our respective work and family issues, there just isn't a weekend available to cut, fit, weld, and send it off for powder coating until then. Eventually the fridge will be framed with metal work and a shelf above the fridge like his Land Cruiser systems.

I'll be able to show off the finished drawers and the fridge this weekend though, and that will give everyone a sense of what we have.

-The weight is just under 120lbs before coating with all hardware, locks, and locking ball bearing slides. Guesstimate weight of ~125-130 after primed and lined/coated. Pretty light for a complete system like this.
-cubby access maintained.
-the system is in and out pretty easily with the mounting system he came up with. Can easily come out of the truck in about 5 minutes.

Dave is a great guy to work with. He said the only thing that needs to get it into production is enough demand to justify it. I'll let him comment when he is ready and people have seen my system. As of now, he said expect pricing to be roughly on par with his Land Cruiser systems. Again, anything more specific than that on options/pricing is his lane and not mine.....he will chime in after mine is finished and installed.

Cheers!

Last edited:

KiwiKurt

Explorer
attachment.php

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...stem-for-JK-idea-thread?p=1693573#post1693573

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke