Service/Utility box trailer project

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
This is my latest trailer acquisition. I found it not far from where I live. Based on a few items I've found in the compartments, I think it was used by an electrician. It's not a service body meant for a truck, but was built as a trailer. A truck service body would not have had the forward facing compartments.

The box is 75" x 84" and all of the compartment doors work and latch flawlessly. The only rust is very light surface rust. One of the compartment locks is missing and I didn't get any keys with it. It has a 3500# Dexter axle and electric brakes. It's in amazingly good condition, and just needs some paint and tires.

It currently has 6x5.5" hubs, and the first task will be replacing the hubs/drums with 5x5.5" to match my Scout. I want everything to use the same wheels. Plus, I already have plenty of tires and wheels to fit that, so I won't have to buy any.

The upside is that I paid only $325 for it, and it's nearly ready to outfit. The downside is that it's heavy. I don't know how heavy, but I'll be surprised if it weighs less than 1200#.

I'm thinking about a RTT for it. In the background of one of the photos you can see my Wildernest topper. I might figure out a way to mount that on top, although that would make it pretty tall. Has anyone here ever done that?

Anyway, I have a new project to occupy my time. I'm not sure where it will go, but it should be fun.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Picture?

Sounds like a nice score....a fellow over on Mud put a Wildernest on a truck bed trailer....I personally thought it was a great idea.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Pictures

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 41

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Initial thoughts are this.....

Barn doors for the back

LT Tires/ LED lighting/ water tank(s) and pump/ batteries

Folding steps at rear for access into bed of truck area

Rear ARB awning with a sidewall/ screen wall kit

Wilderness spied in photo....if you can get it off the ground high enough to stand under...there's your kitchen protection

The "top layer" (section built on top of the utility box) could open up from the inside so maybe you could do a single burner and bar sink

Drop foot jacks on the rear corners

Aluminum nose box

ARB 8' awning on drivers side

Fold up/drop down table and seats in the inside area

OK...I'm done...lol. :ylsmoke:

I think with a little planning you'll have yourself a dandy little set up

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Amazing deal! Nice score.
Yeah, I thought so too. I tried to buy it for $250, but that was a no-go. It actually would have been a fair deal at his asking price of $400. It's in REALLY good shape. Tires and paint are all it needs to be almost like new.

Every now and then I manage to fall into a tub of fine whisky instead of a pile of sh . . . uhhhh . . . shaving cream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior