A Bucksaw Goes to Iceland...and returns

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Howdy fellas,

I have successfully completed my epic voyage to the land of the viking - and survived. What a trip. I've been lucky to embark on a number of heady voyages, but this might have been the best of them all. It was far more difficult than I had ever imagined. My route selections were a tricky blend of great, challenging, foolish, and frequently––impassible. The weather was interesting to say the least. While there were fleeting moments of sunshine, I would say 75% of my time was spent either riding or sleeping through endless variances of rain. Sometimes hard, often just a drizzled background to the day, the rain would occasionally be accented with 35-45 mph gusts just to keep me sharp and entertained.

The Salsa Bucksaw paired to Bedrock Bags proved to be a perfect combo. There isn't another bike that would have faired so well in the terrain I chose.

Like all good adventures, my original plan got tossed out the window on day one. At least five impromptu revisions to my route were required right up to day 10 when I found myself riding to a nearby hut hoping to score much needed lube, which I found in the form of olive oil from a kitchen.

By journey's end, I had forded more than 50 rivers and streams. I had carried my bike for miles on end. The biggest day was over 55 miles. The longest was a 16 hour slog to cover just over 12 miles. One mile might have consumed a full 3 hours. Never have I down-hiked so much.

With all of the challenges, seldom did I feel I was not having fun. It was such an honor to visit such a place via a bicycle, and an amazing bicycle to boot. It confirmed my belief that overlanding via truck or motorcycle is, and never will be, as visceral and rewarding as travel under one's own steam. I love to burn gas, but you just can't fully appreciate the sounds, smells and rhythms of nature with a throttle.

IMG_2980-Version2_zps5b5cad33.jpg

IMG_3356_zps0575a742.jpg

IMG_2857_zps6e40cdeb.jpg

IMG_3004-Version3_zps41146662.jpg

IMG_2917-Version2_zpse764fa70.jpg

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
"the land of the viking "...

Not quite historically accurate or at least a bit misleading...

But seriously ; Iceland on a bike! Wow. You have courage and drive my friend! Respect!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Glad you made it back and I look forward to the full write up. I placed an order for a framebag for my Fatback with Andrew at Bedrock after your kind words to his craftmanship.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
"the land of the viking "...

Not quite historically accurate or at least a bit misleading...

But seriously ; Iceland on a bike! Wow. You have courage and drive my friend! Respect!
Oy vey! :) Okay...one of the lands of the vikings.

Co-opski, the Bedrock bags I used were exceptional. I was so glad that was the system I used. They could not have worked out better. The bar bag was so nice and I seldom like a bar bag. Every morning I'd stuff my soggy wet tent into the bar bag right before getting rolling. Every night I'd extract the tent first, and do my best to dive in and stay dry. The seat bag never wagged or sagged. Absolutely perfect.

All of my gear choices were spot on. Couldn't have improved on a single element. I think it's the first time ever, at least in 20 years, where I feel like every single piece of gear couldn't have been improved on. Okay...freeze dried eggs will never cross my lips ever again, but that's it.

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Flounder, good to know about the handlebar bags, that is the next one I plan on getting for my bikepacking kit. Did you run lights on your handlebars? Probably no need for lights in Iceland this time of year. If so any interference between the handlebar bag with the lights or the shifter and brake cables?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Fortunately, the boys at Salsa had the foresight to add a little extra cable/line length to the cockpit. I was able to slip the handlebar bag under the lines/cables. The exterior pocket portion of the Entrada bag is awesome and helps secure the main bag. It's a bomber system that doesn't shimmy or wiggle. It's rock solid. I've also had a few battles with seat bags in years past and Andrew's design is by far the best. Not only do the dual rail straps work better, the stiffener inside keeps the bag in place. It's also a perfect size. Any bigger and it would be a pain. I even used the exterior elastic cords in an optimistic, yet unfruitful, effort to dry my socks while on the move.

I really wanted to use two Tapeats bar bags as well, but I had a little interference with my knees.

As is the case with all bikepack trips, I did relearn some lessons:

1) Always bring a full container of lube for wet climates.
2) Make sure your multi-tool can fit every bolt. I had to tweak my front brake caliper and my fancy Blackburn tool barely fit. It was a close one.
3) When the sun comes out for just a brief two hours, don't be an idiot and use that opportunity to sunbath whilst your tent and cloths remain wet in your bags. Doh! I learn that lesson repeatedly.
4) The ominous water crossing is often best crossed twice. Once with gear and to test the water. The other with the bike. Sucks to make 3 passes instead of one. But three chances at near death is better than one swing at near certain death.
5) Stop dammit! I don't know why, but every big trip I do, I do the first day in one epic push. Moronic when not racing.
6) Justin's Maple Peanut Butter is so good it can overcome anything. Rain? Eat peanut butter. Cold feet? Eat peanut butter. Take a wrong turn ten miles ago? Eat peanut butter.
7) Sometimes portaging three heavy beers into the backcountry is worth the weight.
8) In Iceland, get comfortable with turning around and backtracking.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Sweet...looks like a cool trip...
Just wondering why you chose the bucksaw over a rigid fat bike for the tour...I don't know much about Iceland's geology...was it really rocky?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Sweet...looks like a cool trip...
Just wondering why you chose the bucksaw over a rigid fat bike for the tour...I don't know much about Iceland's geology...was it really rocky?
I had originally bought a Mukluk for this ride and while it is an awesome platform for bikepacking, I wanted to tackle some proper singletrack in the interior of the island. That, was perhaps biting off more than I could chew. The terrain was severe.

TL000200_zps092296ac.jpg

This particular climb started deep inside that canyon below. A canyon that required I lift my bike over my head a few times to pirch it on successive ledges. One of those 20 minutes to cover 50 feet sort of deals. Then, the ash gully climbed straight up at about a 45º angle for a gain of roughly 700 feet. I tried putting my bike on my back, but it just felt dangerous. When I took this selfie, I heard a startling noise and turned to see my bike sliding rapidly back down the gully. That's how steep it was. That climb didn't bother me too much as it wasn't sleeting, raining or gusting to 40mph like other climbs. Going down this crap isn't any easier. Well, not much.

IMG_2975_zpsc3f78e64.jpg

This section of trail nearly made me turn around. You can make out the trail on the ridge line. Ya. That took some doing.

IMG_2855_zps4df095ca.jpg

This kind of road was typical. These were supposed to be my "easy routes" to get to the singletrack sections. At times the roads would tip 20% grade. Not only would these climbs have endless heartbreaking false summits, once you gained all that altitude, the road would dump it just as fast only to ascend another hill seemingly for no reason. Not a switchback in sight.

So, honestly, some of the terrain I covered wasn't good for any bike. But, I did cover lots of long days of semi-bumpy gravel road where the full suspension was glorious. Some sections of singletrack that were rideable, were very aggressive with lots of drops, rocks, ledges, and half-hurried volcanic stones. The Bucksaw definitely got a workout. The suspension was perfect. The fat tires overcame miles of sand. Can't imagine doing the route I did on anything else. Wouldn't even try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior