The Turtle - 96 XJ Country Build

Awesome build thread. The bumper on the XJ looks really good.
What brand snorkel are you running?

Looks to be a Chinese Safari Snorkel knock-off.

Yep, exactly. Ebay, works amazing. I sealed it at the airbox with silicone and it does a great job. Certain things you can do knock-off parts and others you can'

Hindsight being what it is, I would have done a cowl intake with dual batteries.

Very nice XJ

Thanks

Got some work done on the D30. Stripped the old truss off the axle.
SAM_0418 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

SAM_0423 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

SAM_0424 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

Also, got my diff covers coated. My daughter picked the color, she said they're like hulks pants. Hahahaha

FB_IMG_1427581325831 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

KLT88YJ

Observer
Your build is very refreshing to me! Seems everyone is so focused on building the new(er) JK and forgets about the great "older" platforms!

I've build my fair share of XJ's but I like your approach and the current progress so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your build is very refreshing to me! Seems everyone is so focused on building the new(er) JK and forgets about the great "older" platforms!

I've build my fair share of XJ's but I like your approach and the current progress so far.

Thanks man. I absolutely love XJs. I've had two and a ZJ. It's such a great platform. It's a capable daily SUV for kid hauling, capable for camping and overlanding, and if built right capable to do other more technical stuff as well. Not to mention the 4.0 is better than any motor they put in the JK. My rig has 280k miles and all I've replaced is an alternator, battery, battery cables, and motor mounts. I

It's a really awesome vehicle.

KLT88YJ

Observer
Thanks man. I absolutely love XJs. I've had two and a ZJ. It's such a great platform. It's a capable daily SUV for kid hauling, capable for camping and overlanding, and if built right capable to do other more technical stuff as well. Not to mention the 4.0 is better than any motor they put in the JK. My rig has 280k miles and all I've replaced is an alternator, battery, battery cables, and motor mounts. I

It's a really awesome vehicle.

The last XJ I built, I purchased from my Aunt and Uncle, who purchased it new in 87. I took it off their hands for $300 and it had 319k on the clock. I built it up and pretty much drove it daily for 3 years then sold it to my buddy for $500. He then drove it daily for about 5 years and parked it 2 years ago with right around 380k (plus) on the clock due to chasing an electrical gremlin. During our time (aunt/ uncle, me and my buddy) of ownership it was only basic maintenance and never had to rebuild or replace the motor, trans or axles.

Yea, that motor is absolutely amazing. I've had 2 4.0s, totaling almost 600k in mileage between the two and it's only routine maintenance.

So here is where the jeep is currently at and stuff I need to do soon.

Winch, fairlead, synthetic rope, and factor 55 thimble all installed - winch set up finished
Bumper installed - still need to install tire carrier, rotopax mounts, hi lift mount, CB antenna, LED light set up

Front axle
- stripped bare
- still need to install LCA mounts, truss, c-gussets, gears, LSD, and ball joints
- install into XJ

Rear axle
- stripped bare
- still need to install shock mounts, truss, gears, LSD, shims, and rear brakes
- install into XJ

Need to install SYE and new rear drive shaft

Install replacement seat from rugged ridge (passenger side)

Power steering pump, hard lines, return line

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles