The Turtle - 96 XJ Country Build

Hey all...this is my current XJ build...looking to build a solid DD and expedition rig. Got a pretty decent start so far.

It's a 96 country, got it for 1100...in fairly decent shape. Needs a new floor board due to rust and needed and entire new suspension and steering set up.

Here she is in stock form.
20140717_195710 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

Not much to look at haha. 275k on the clock, 4.0, AW4, NP231, HPD30 and D35 axles.

Here is where she is at now.
20140806_072435 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr
20140806_072444 by b3sthaticould0, on Flickr

Lift is a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride with Bilstein 5100 Shocks, new RE leaf packs in the rear. The wheels are Cragar V-5 15x8 with 32x11.50x15 Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar. Replaced the steering with all new OEM stuff with a Rugged Ridge larger 1.25 DOM tubing tie rod. Replaced front brakes as well.

I've installed a new Optima Yellow Top with a DBO battery tray and ordered all new 4awg wiring for the truck. Should help with electrical issues. Debating stepping up size in alternator, but I replaced the oem unit with a new oem...so that may be down the line.

Recently ordered some TNT subframe stiffeners as well as an OEM Mopar floor board. Welder is going to install that as well as new subframe connectors as well. Really going to bring new life to the jeep hopefully.

I'm basically looking for a weekend get away vehicle with a really solid axle set up and a very reliable motor. Taking the time to upgrade things as I go, so header is cracked so I ordered a new header and a muffler to get a full 2.5" exhaust made. Should sound very good and provide a decent bump in power.

Plan for axles now is to ditch the D35 rear and put a Ford 8.8 with 4.56 gears, selectable locker and chromoly shafts in it. HPD30 will stay but it'll get a selectable locker, gears, and shafts as well.

Ordered a JCR vanguard front bumper with LED lights and a will be looking into winches to fill the opening shortly. I'd preferably like something inexpensive and reliable, those two probably don't go together. Ordered a 10" LED lightbar to go on the bumper as well, will probably get one for the roof as well.

Motor seems very solid overall, needs to probably have an overhaul in the next 2 years. But it's stout for now. I will do a compression check and see where I'm at.

Thanks for looking and I'll be updating as I go.

griffman

Nice cherokee. Why do you want to ditch the d35? I would think it would be fine with 32s, especially if your not doing any hardcore stuff.

Peace of mind mostly. I'd prefer an 8.8 knowing that it's just so much stronger.

I've debating trussing and building the D35, but that seems like pissing good money after bad.

holy crap man! LONG TIME!

yeah, for sure, moved out of SoCal as well. How ya been man?

yea it was time to get back into jeeping...have a bagged WRX sitting in the garage i'm debating what to do with it right now.

Got a long list of parts here or en route to install

JCR Vangaurd Winch Front Bumper
3x3 LED in bumper lights
10" LED light bar
TNT Uniframe Stiffeners
OEM Floor Pan
Snorkel
APM Header - going to get ceramic coated
Magnaflow muffler - will have a custom 2.5" exhaust made header back
Prime 4x4 switch panel - 12v and dual USB slot
Painless wiring waterproof fuse block
Replacement Carpeting
10" RE Audio Subwoofer and Alpine 5 Channel amp - KnuKonceptz wiring from front to back
4AWG battery cables and grounds
MORE Steering Box Brace
Currie AntiRock Sway Bar

Looking into on board air also looking at winches.

Real debate right now is getting an 8.8 and regearing trussing and putting an LSD in that or just doing it with the D35 that's in it now. The disc brakes that come with the 8.8 would be very nice. I do have brand new drums on the D35...and it's already in the XJ. Just makes me nervous that it's weak, no matter how much you improve it. I think the 8.8 gives me quite a bit more confidence in the rig and would be really strong with basic upgrades.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
The M35 in the later Jeeps have a divot or relief next to the splines on the axle shafts. Makes them pretty weak. Either go with the 8.8 or a late Chrys 8.25" axle. The late 8.25 will bolt up and has 29spline shafts with no divot next to them. Almost as strong as a D44. The F8.8 is strong but does not have very good ground clearance. Also the disk brakes will not work as good as your stock drums unless you get the correct master cylinder and proportioning valve. Been there done that on my old '88 XJ.

Interesting. I'll see what I can find in the junkyards locally. Whatever axle I run will get shafts, locker, and probably a truss...as well as gears.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
If you're going to buy shafts anyway you can buy any year 8.25. The late 29 spline shafts will interchange into the earlier housing. When I built my current 8.25 axle ARB only made a 29spl locker. Dunno if that has changed or not.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
If you do decide to go with the 8.25, while your in the pick n pull, look for a mid 80's dodge diplomat. Grab the complete drum assemblies. 11" drums instead of the stock 10. Bolt right on.

If you're going to buy shafts anyway you can buy any year 8.25. The late 29 spline shafts will interchange into the earlier housing. When I built my current 8.25 axle ARB only made a 29spl locker. Dunno if that has changed or not.

That's a good point. I wish the ARB lockers weren't so damn expensive. Seriously.

Really looking forward to watching your build (mine's a '98 XJ Sport,4.0L/auto etc) :D

Thanks. It probably won't get crazy, but a daily/expo rig is what I'm shooting for.

If you do decide to go with the 8.25, while your in the pick n pull, look for a mid 80's dodge diplomat. Grab the complete drum assemblies. 11" drums instead of the stock 10. Bolt right on.

Yea, that's an option assuming I find a dodge diplomat. I may try and find the disc brakes...8.8s are so easy to find and so easy to make work. I have a good buddy who's a welder and mechanic. So he's going to do my gears and locker and truss installs for beer and pizza basically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94