QB's Charlie the Lost Pathfinder

quaintbucket

Observer
This thread was a long time overdue but...

vwMin.gif

1997 Nissan Pathfinder LE, stock and auto transmission. 2nd owner, lady driven. Only used 4WD to get up to Whistler, BC in the snow. No more, no less. 230,000 km. $3300. A bit over my price range but was hoping to bring it down. The previous owner was pretty forthcoming about the issues it had. I got it for $2700. Bought it in Feb 2013.

I was slowly rebuilding my funds up to get ready for repairs that summer until it got sidetracked with my daughter's birth so I stopped working my second job to have more time with my family.

I had to put Charlie under storage insurance after driving it for a year to try save money while getting by with 1 vehicle. It wasn't working out so we attempted to put it back on the road but found out that my AirCare had expired while it was under storage. Oops. I took it to AirCare and failed miserably due to double the maximum limit of NOX. I was distraught and couldn't understand what was wrong but bought myself 3 months temp insurance. Anyway, long story short: I failed 3 times before finally passing with amazing numbers. The problem was the MAF sensor was completely caked with gunk that it might as well be unplugged. Go figure! Here's the image of my test results. Crazy.

2aiMZw1.jpg

The performance and fuel economy changed drastically when that MAF sensor got cleaned out. Before, I was only able to go up to 4000RPM with a lot of stuttering and hesitation. Afterward, I was able to rev it up to 5500 RPM and quickly pass people.

Enough with the novel, here's some pics!

Despite having 40% tread left on the Wild Country XTX Sport tires, I was able to actually get up the mountain with a tiny bit of struggle (did not use 4HI until I absolutely had to) until I ran out of roads and started hiking.

NiW0FpY.jpg

Got a nice view on the top!

iex7ypml.jpg

On my way down, I saw a little dirt path (same trip) that I thought looked interesting. I started to make my way through until I hit a muddy patch and tried to get myself out by using 4HI but couldn't go anywhere. I was really confused until I got out of Charlie and saw some ************ had dumped a mattress in the bush and it got caught underneath the carriage, leaving me with just two wheels on the ground. I walked a good 10km out of the bush and came across a hunter who just arrived. I asked for help to get pulled out. It was a little dodgy because I had no recovery point on the rear of the pathfinder so we wrapped a chain around the rear axle and slowly pulled out with the pathfinder in reverse slowly. Got out without any damage... lucky!

prukfRV.jpg

Undeterred by that little mishap, I went out a few weeks ago up a different mountain a little bit of rock crawling and some practice off-roading. I think that went pretty well until my bumper got ripped off on my way down! I kicked it back on and it's holding for the time being. I really need to fix it...

y9Zf7ptl.jpg

Some pictures from on my way up.

ENXUeSP.jpg

I like going super early in the morning to see these kind of things. Winter is kind of my thing.

ioSBLMF.jpg

From my way back down when things were warming up in the afternoon. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I only had my iphone when my P&S camera broke.

lShvLsjl.jpg

Charlie's Check List

What does Charlie Have?

Everything not listed is STOCK for LE.

Tires: 235/75/15 Wild Country XTX Sport with 30% treads.
Stereo Head unit: Alpine UTE-42BT

DONE
- Tuneup! (Spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter)
- Knock Sensor relocation
- Replaced dead alternator twice.
- New seat cover for driver seat
- Got rid of broken roof crossbars
- Replaced broken air intake duct boot to throttle body
- Bought a cheap OBD2 scanner
- Quick & easy rust repair
- Removed running boards... by kicking it off. The rust was so bad. Gained extra clearance :)
- Check recall on struts and fuel filler
- Replaced stereo. Stock unit was crapping out and besides, I picked this one up for $60 brand new. Works fine for what I need to do.

TO DO
- New tires (ON ORDER, General Grabber AT2 235/75/15!)
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- Timing belt
- Proper Rust Repair Job
- Fix evap system (P0446)
- Change differential oil
- Check suspension components
- Check steering components (might have to change tie rod ends)
- Change bushings throughout...
- Replace some coolant
- Add trailer hitch
- Replace speakers
- Add CB Radio I got lying around
- Replace Antenna and add CB Antenna
- Manual Locking Hubs
- Add recovery points

WISH LIST
- 1-2" lift. Most likely will go with OME as this is primarily my DD
- 8000-8500lb winch
- Roof rack box
- VHF radio
- Rack for ceiling of cargo area. Using this as a paddle rack for my wife's dragon boating team and my canoing+kayaking expedition. During hunting/camping season, will double as my gun rack.
- 32 or 33" tires on steelies.
- Skid plate (hint hint people) as I had a couple close calls...

Last edited:

Stubbs

Good to see another R50 out there being used like it should. Looks like you're in the lower mainland area. Maybe we'll bump into each other sometime on the trails during camping\hunting season.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Nice!

Add on to your wish list: recovery points. For your pending tow reciever: install (or store with your straps) a D-ring reciever hitch $10 down here, but you must be able to source something similarly inexpensive up there. You could make one too.

I "think" there should/might be hooks up front allready, or maybe frame loops that they used when transporting etc.

Fleury's makes some NICE stuff!! I bought his version of the crossmember support thing, would have bought the skid plate that attaches to it, but sold my Pathy...

Last edited:

marty1977

Adventurer
Awesome that we have another R50 and I'm wishing you for you wish list to be done fast :) looking forward to your new adventures and builds. I hear you on rust repairs i did a lot as well and patch some things up that i need to revisit to make it good.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice pathy and good plans. That 'It's happening' picture LOL! I agree on adding some basic recovery items to the list. Congrats on your kid's arrival btw!

quaintbucket

Observer
Just got a line on a Sportrack roof rack with mounting hardwares for $50! Making a day with the guy so I can pick it up and take it home! :wings:

And yeah, I'm definitely adding the recovery points to the rear. That's one of the reason for adding a trailer hitch for what Camelfilter suggested. I do have loops on the front but I am not sure how sturdy those things are. They do look like they're meant for transportation purposes.

I have thought about using Fluery's lift spacers but decided to hold off on that because once I replace the struts, shocks, and coils, it will be a big difference since I'm riding on equipment in their late teens.

e: Found out that the mounting hardware is not compatible with my factory rails. Now I'm at a crossroad whether driving 130km one way out just to pick up the roof basket that looks like it's in fairly good condition with a coat of paint needed. That's half of a tank of gas, haha... although, I'm driving out 1/4 of the way to the outdoors store to pick up some saxx underwear for half off. I know I have weird priorities!

Last edited:

quaintbucket

Observer
I asked the guy to send me pictures of the mounting hardware and roof rack. Unfortunately, the mounting hardware doesn't work for my pathfinder but the roof rack is in really good condition. I was not able to go over the weekend due to being called in at work.

On sunday, I finally had enough of the speakers being garbage so I went to Visions to pick up 4 new 6.5" speakers for the front and back. Paid $230 all-in for Kicker DSC65. I've installed the first two in the front door last night and it sounds phenomenal. It takes 10 minutes once you know what to do from there. I had some issues with the mounting bracket since it did not quite line up right and did not want to pay $13/adapters for a small difference.

Will do the rear doors during my lunch break. Going to my parent's house tonight for dinner with my family and will jack my pathfinder up to see if the tie rods need to be replaced.

I really want to pick up that roof rack but I got no way to mount it properly on the roof. I can always pick it up and store it until I find something on craigslist or monkey something up. Any suggestions? I'm looking at the tie down posts as a possible option.

e: Picked up new saxx underwear. They're surprisingly comfortable. A little weird at first because of the fabric divider. Will be really helpful for hiking though.

quaintbucket

Observer
What did everyone do for roof rack mounting? I'm just trying to brainstorm some ideas. Found a super old topic on expo and thought this idea was interesting:

1819t26p1l.png

I'm still thinking of other ideas but anything cost effective and still reasonable?

bushnut

Adventurer
I just used bits of the factory mount some SS hardware I found at a boating store and some THULE bars. I've got some pics on my build thread at NPORA.
(bushnut's R50) I followed Stoic's idea.

quaintbucket

Observer
Yep, I just saw that post. Someone on NPORA mentioned stioc's idea and it came back to me.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1207452

I think I will look at your thread and see which one works the best for me. For less than $20, it sounds like a more sturdy idea and will not break the bank.

Did you end up getting rid of the bars on top of your pathfinder? Not the cross bar, the one bolted down with tie down points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quaintbucket

Observer
So things happened to my pathfinder over the last two weeks.

First: Battery died and was not recovering so I replaced it with an Optima yellow top battery with my discount at the auto store ($200~ instead of $450, ouch! thanks Canada). No issues there.

Second: The tire on my front passenger side decided that it doesn't want to handle the life it was leading and gave itself out. I threw a spare on there, called my tire guy and asked for a same day replacement with the GG AT2. I asked what happened to my old tire and he said there was a nice rip on the inside of the sidewall. Looks like it was progressive over time.

Good riddance Wild Country XTX Sports. Didn't buy it, definitely will not buy that garbage anymore. Yuck. I remember it had a lot of weights on it to balance the tire. The new tires did NOT need weights which was a big happy surprise for me. Mounted & Balanced for $720 all-in (thanks tire guy's whole sale price and throwing a discount my way!) instead of $1100 elsewhere.

Enough talk, you scurvy pirate! Pictures now!

W23oyf5.jpg

QZsezPr.jpg

Overall, I'm really happy with my new tires. I no longer have the shakes in the steering wheel and it feels more secure on the road. On the other hand, it's definitely telling me that I need to replace my shocks and bushings soon. Unfortunately, the repairs in the last few months (as well as other unexpected expenses) is calling for me to put off the repairs for a little while.

Oh, I mentioned my rear bumper a lot. It's a lot worse than what it looks like in the pictures. I had popped it up and put them in the brackets to see if it will hold. It didn't so I need to do some changes...

PaeqHAe.jpg

nUQ6CL7.jpg

I went to a Nissan dealership to see if I can pick those plastic pieces up (85050E) because they shouldn't cost too much, right? This is how the conversation went:

Me :): "Hi, I'm looking for 85050E for my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. Do you have any in stock and for how much please?"
Service guy :coffee:: "Yeah. How many you need?"
:): "4 please."
:coffee:: "$11.40"
:): "Wow, that's not bad for a set."
:coffee:: "Per piece."
:):
riCnMlA.gif

I'm going to see if I can order somewhere cheaper or come up with something home made. I need to do something to temporarily repair it until I can replace it with a steel bumper but I am not paying $45 + tax on a bunch of plastic. That's highway robbery!

Oh... I finally went through a full tank of gas with my new tires. I was expecting a drop in my fuel economy from 14.1-14.7L/100km but... it went to 12.7L/100km (18.5MPG). I have to talk to my tire guy and ask what happened there. Nitrogen? Weights? tire pressure??? magical unicorn dusts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94