does anyone use a marine dual battery switch?

jatibb

Adventurer
building a pop up, couldnt i run 1 wire to switch thru the trailer/vehicle connector to the switch? (to charge or at least top off both batteries in the camper) then select which one to use, os as to only drain one at a time, then swith to both for the drive home to charge back up? i grew up working on boats and for some reason the wiring was much simpler than in most of the posts i read. or is my old age blocking something crucial i dont remember. i do remember wiring dual batteries was simple, when at anchor you could run one down, switch to "both" and start the engine and naturally the path of least resistance would charge the "deader" of the two first. or start on the stronger and switch while running if the switch had a built in afd.
we wouldnt be out for more than a few days at a time, and would like to figure out a small solar panel at some point for topping off.

http://www.perko.com/catalog/battery_switches/952/medium_duty_battery_selector_switch_with_afd/

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
A bunch of guys around here run those switches. Whatever floats yer boat.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Can you do it? Of course. Will you remember, every time, at the end of a long day's drive? Who knows? An automatic relay has much to recommend it.

jatibb

Adventurer
IF I MOUNT IT NEXT TO THE COOLER, THEN YES, I'D REMEMBER SINCE THATS EASILY THE MOST USED OF ANY CAMPING SET-UP. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES, WAS JUST CURIOUS WHY I DIDNT SEE THEM OFTEN, BUT YET ON EVERY BOAT,.......

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Another small point, much debated. You are not likely to get much of a charge through the normal trailer wiring harnesses as the wiring is too small. You might want to measure the amp flow when your batteries are down.

clandr1

Adventurer
Can you do it? Of course. Will you remember, every time, at the end of a long day's drive? Who knows? An automatic relay has much to recommend it.

+1. My dual battery setup incorporates a Blue Sea ACR that automatically connects/disconnects the batteries depending on input voltage (basically, if the alternator is charging, the relay is closed).
I also have a manual dual battery switch in the event I need to jump myself, or if the ACR fails for whatever reason. Redundancy is key :sombrero:

Last edited:

GR8ADV

Explorer
Yes.
I like the manual aspect of deciding what I am charging when, and what I am using and when. I can plug into shore and charge both sets if I want. I can run off the alternator and charge both sets to their maximum and not rely on cut offs set by the auto system. If I want both I got it, if I don't I don't.

32vsnake

Adventurer
Question for the guys with marine switches. On the switches i looked at there were 3 terminals, 1 to each battery and the third was common. The way i read the instructions was that the common ran to the starter. So my question is; where do you run the common post to? Is it really run to the starter?
i ended up going with a cd solenoid for the time being.
Thanks

clandr1

Adventurer
Run the common to a 12v source that is only hot when the ignition is in the on position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

refried

Adventurer
I'm using a dual battery switch to switch between my two house batteries (4D and group 31 optima), and a on/off switch next to my starting battery to parallel them If my starting battery is ever dead. I use an isolator to charge them while running and a 30 amp two bank charger keeps them charged when I'm plugged in. It's a simple system using marine parts and works well.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
A ran a 2 awg cable from my common stud on the battery switch to the original (+) engine battery clamp, which of course is no longer on the engine battery. I could easily return it to stock if I wanted to.

I use 3 switches, one for the ignition, one for the solar, one for all the loads. This allows me the option to use either battery as house or engine battery easily, and equalize one battery on the solar at 16v, while running everything else off the other battery.

If I could not EQ this battery easily every 2 weeks, cycling nightly, it would have been recycled already, instead of giving good service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94