Earthcruiser vs ATW

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
When you get out and actually use your camper, you start learning what matters to you, and where your vehicle falls short of your needs and desires. Then you start planning for your NEXT vehicle. You can't rent an expedition-style vehicle in USA (please correct me if I'm mistaken), but you can rent a pickup truck with large slide-in camper. That would make sense if you don't already have experience with living on board for weeks at a time.

The length of the trips play a role, too. A camper that works fine for a week's outing can become a huge headache when you're on the road for a month.

Agreed. I find that you can "fake it" for a week to ten days and then you have to start living on the road - shopping, cleaning, laundry, maintenance, etc.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Agreed. I find that you can "fake it" for a week to ten days and then you have to start living on the road - shopping, cleaning, laundry, maintenance, etc.
As this thread continues it becomes evident that, as far as large professionally built expedition vehicles go, there is very very little experiential knowledge here on this forum. Now ask about a daily driver toyota double cab, land cruiser or a montero....

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
As this thread continues it becomes evident that, as far as large professionally built expedition vehicles go, there is very very little experiential knowledge here on this forum. Now ask about a daily driver toyota double cab, land cruiser or a montero....

You're not on a real trip until everything you brought with you from home has been eaten, used, worn, and dirty. :)

Howard70

Adventurer

That apparent lack of experiential knowledge could be due to limited time for posting if one is out and about in their large professionally built expedition vehicle. We've put 11,000 miles with more than 60 nights aboard the EarthCruiser we picked up on 12 May 2014. Systems are great, truck is fine, love the lifting fabric-sided top, love the space above the bed when the top is down, love the ride, love the cab layout, etc. We'd buy it again in a minute. As mentioned in other posts if you're truly in the market for these types of vehicles you'll visit every one who makes a package that attracts your attention. I've posted elsewhere on why we chose an EarthCruiser (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/16093-EarthCruiser-Overland-Vehicles?p=1452192#post1452192) and our recent experiences have convinced us we made the correct decision for us!

It is a lot easier to reply to specific questions about particular features than it is to try and address broad general queries.

Howard Snell

Sagestone

Observer
I was completely dedicated to a hard sided design as well until I went to the overland expo and checked out the different options. On a 90 degree day the soft sided vehicles were at least 30 degrees cooler inside. I would be very interested in doing the same comparison on a 30 degree day. I guess it all comes down to where you are going to drive the thing!

A

That's why they invented air conditioning :sunny:

alan

Explorer
well said Owen
your probably like me
I wear the pants in our family
but I have to wear her underwear so I remember my place :victory:

BTW alan the bike gets dropped of this arvo

Thanks Stu! does it bring back memories for you?
Alan

Keyne

Adventurer
Just wondering... Do earth cruisers and ATW Alpha fit in a regular US sized parking space? It looks like the ATW is longer but spec wise about the same but hard to find the EC length online.

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Keyne:

Our EarthCruiser (2014) fits in "regular" spaces. The overall length from the winch fairlead to the spares in just at 22 to 22.5 feet. You can go through Zion's tunnels with the regular vehicles rather than waiting for the RV controls!

Howard

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Just wondering... Do earth cruisers and ATW Alpha fit in a regular US sized parking space? It looks like the ATW is longer but spec wise about the same but hard to find the EC length online.

Hi Deane, should be roughly the same length overall. About 6600mm or 21.5 feet depending on style of bullbar. On the ATW camper body, the spares do not add to the overall length because they are tucked in under the departure angle but the camper body is about 400 to 500mm longer.

Howard70

Adventurer
EarthCruiser & Pickup w over-the-cab camper

Hello Keyne:

I just ran across a photo that provides some comparison in size between our EarthCruiser and a crewcab pickup with an over-the-cab camper. Note that the top is up on the EarthCruiser so it's height is greater than you experience when driving. For us the EarthCruiser feels smaller than driving a pickup with a full-sized camper, but many people assume the EarthCruiser (and I assume the same would be for the ATW Global Warrior) is larger. I think the difference is that both of the Fuso-based trucks make complete use of the vehicle's "footprint" via the basic cubic shape where the pickup configuration puts the driver and passenger lower and "wastes" the volume over the hood. I say "wastes" from a use-of-volume perspective - I suspect that folks with a pickup might feel they have easier initial access to their engine compartments. We really enjoy the high visibility forward and to the sides provided by the Fuso-based truck's position of the driver and passenger.

Howard

campground_companions-XL.jpg

Sagestone

Observer
Hi Howard,
Would the ATW with the 'hard side ' option fit? too? Thanks, Dean
Hello Keyne:

Our EarthCruiser (2014) fits in "regular" spaces. The overall length from the winch fairlead to the spares in just at 22 to 22.5 feet. You can go through Zion's tunnels with the regular vehicles rather than waiting for the RV controls!

Howard

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
G`day All
Way back it was very important for us that all EarthCruiser models will easily fit in a normal car parking space. They had to be easy to load up at the grocery store ( entry steps extend approx no further than the furthest arc of the main door etc).
It was also very important to have as much over all length available for when our customers fit motor bikes or push bikes, no fun having them wiped off by passing trucks etc
So yes, EarthCruiser EXP and EarthCruiser FX (the new USA built fixed roof) models fit in car park, or your driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94