Options for adding a spare tire swingout to an existing plate bumper?

Excelsior

Observer
So here's the quick version: I have the All-pro plate bumper, which does not have any allowance for the spare. What I would like is a swing-out style mount for the spare tire, but I don't want to have to replace the bumper itself.

I've seen various options; the one I'm leaning towards is a kit from A-Z Fabrication that includes a spindle, mounting plate for the studs, and screw-in closing mechanism. The issue is that my fabrication/welding skills/equipment are limited (I've got a $90 Arc welder and an angle grinder. That's it.) and having to fab up the actual swing-arm could be tricky. I came across one full assembly on amazon, but I couldn't be sure of the quality based on the single picture and two reviews.

So, I figured I'd ask here; does anyone know of a (preferably complete, if not assembled) product that will allow me to add a swing-out to my existing bumper?

Simple welds are fine, it's just assembling anything that has more than 2 angles almost guarantees something won't line up.

Here's my bumper in case anyone's curious. It's a rattle-can paintjob, so there's no worries about grinding it down and painting it back again.

10526063_10152395099542669_1789334778309821659_n.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see the right-rear weld on the RTT frame. That should explain why I'm hesitant with fabricating anything myself. It's misaligned to the mounting plate by about an inch. I had to cut a second slice of tubing to act as a sort of bridge. Not something I feel confident sleeping on, for sure.

Excelsior

Observer
Knew I was missing something; I considered a tiregate for a while, but I'm adding a hard shell, so that would eliminate the whole "weather-resistant" advantage of said shell, so I don't think that will work.

EDIT- I just realized looking at my own picture that welding a spindle on top of the bumper will NOT work. There's no good flat spot that is outside the tailgate's travel.

I may just have to lob the spare up on the roof rack after all, but I'd kinda like to have that for storage.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
My buddy has a tire gate that mounts to his hitch; uses it on his grand Cherokee. Very nice looking; almost stock looking.

Sent via fat thumb

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Adding a swing-out to a bumper not designed for it will disappoint you- that is a LOT of torsion that he bumper just wasn't built for. I thought other guys had made a 255 spare fit underneath.

austintaco

Explorer
I would buy another bumper. I had a shop add one to mine, but it was expensive, and my bumper had a surface for the spindle to mount to. You can recover a fare amount of your expense selling your bumper locally. Just think about what you really want to carry back there and what you need to carry back there. Bikes, Propane, tools, water, gas, tire...Look over some of the builds and make the investment based on what your needs are. For the slickest setup, look at TacoDoc's latest bumper.

djtc

Adventurer
double shear with a 1" bolt and oïl impreg. bronze bushings .That what I use on all my bumpers, strong and very simple

bat

Explorer
If you look carefully, you can see the right-rear weld on the RTT frame
I think if you put a small gusset on the joint it would help the situation.
You could build a small sub frame under your bumper and bolt the Metal cloak style mount on the face of your bumper.

014.JPG008.JPG010.JPG

Excelsior

Observer
Whats your reason for a swing out tire carrier? Also curious why you have a RTT and you said you wont sleep in it?
Mostly just to carry the spare without wasting a lot of space on the roof rack (round object in a square box)

I'm replacing the rack with something a bit sturdier. While I am fairly sure it would hold up just fine in normal use, I tend to move around a lot when I sleep, adding a lot of shear force, and my dread is something on a trail hits it at that weak point, it breaks, and I'm faced with the decision of whether or not to leave the tent

Adding a swing-out to a bumper not designed for it will disappoint you- that is a LOT of torsion that he bumper just wasn't built for. I thought other guys had made a 255 spare fit underneath.

It probably would fit with a bit of banging, but getting the spare undone in a shop, with the truck on jack stands, and the rear bumper off was a pain in the ***. I don't want to have to try to do that in the mud, or with the truck high centered, where it would quite literally be impossible.

what if you were to add the hinge to the outside face of the bumper instead of on top. Kind of like what metal cloak does with there bumpers. Not my photo but from Metal Cloak's website
http://cdn3.volusion.com/gxsx2.4xnou/v/vspfiles/photos/3930-2.jpg?1395144347

I think if you put a small gusset on the joint it would help the situation.
You could build a small sub frame under your bumper and bolt the Metal cloak style mount on the face of your bumper.

View attachment 240419View attachment 240420View attachment 240421

The problem here is that the all-pro isn't vertical on the rear surface, so a face-mounted hinge wouldn't swing properly.

The more I think about it, the more I think it'll probably be best to just leave the spare on the roof rack.

paranoid56

Adventurer
i would cut a notch out of the one side, re weld in some plates to make the pocket, weld in the hinge and build the carrier. you can also add extra gussets on the inside to help support the weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier