Day trip food storage

tweenerlj

Adventurer
I need a new container for food on our day trips. The blue basket that is pictured below is what I have been using for a number of years:

Trouble is, when using the soft top on the Jeep with windows removed, nothing prevents a bunch of dust from getting in this basket. Anyone have suggestions of a closed container which would be about the same size?

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Might go check this out:

engel_30_quart_dry_box_cooler_1301929_1_og.jpg

Anybody use one of these?

kf4zht

Might go check this out:

I have a white one I got from sams a couple years ago. Hands down the best cooler/food transport I have used. Handle is sturdy, keeps stuff cold for a while, lightweight and the strap is very handy. Latches are a good size between study and not overkill.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Might go check this out:

I have a white one I got from sams a couple years ago. Hands down the best cooler/food transport I have used. Handle is sturdy, keeps stuff cold for a while, lightweight and the strap is very handy. Latches are a good size between study and not overkill.

I also have a white one that I got when they were just $35 at http://sport.woot.com/offers/engel-30-quart-cooler-dry-box.

I generally use frozen bottles of water and/or blue ice packs to keep things chilled for a day. For an afternoon or day trip it works great.

If we're going to be out all weekend this becomes the chilled food storage container and it keeps thing clean and dry while not getting crushed and soggy by a mountain of ice and drinks.

I like the sturdiness of the latches, the white foam gasket around the inside edge of the lid, and the construction in general.

My only criticism is that when you let the lid fall back fully open it kind of bounces like it's going to pull the hinge screws out eventually. Might be a silly thing, but I wish the lid hinges had a more positive 'stop' point.

P1030324_zps1bf08910.jpg~original

P1030325_zps1abe6aca.jpg~original

P1030326_zps969b02bf.jpg~original

P1030327_zps47fcfe69.jpg~original

P1030328_zpsf7428943.jpg~original

MattL

Adventurer
I have the same Engel I got from woot. I completely agree on the hinges and have thought about attaching a chain inside to stop the lid from going back too far.

How bout a wolf pack from our friends at Sierra Expeditions? We made the switch a couple months ago from milk crates.

Why yes I did used to ride a KLR, why do you ask?

tweenerlj

Adventurer
It is kind of hard to beat what we have if it weren't for all the holes in the basket. Kind of leaning toward getting one of these:

292710gToteTranslucent_x.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
Is this a hiking, or vehicle based daytrip? Do you have a budget? Must this keep things cold/hot?

You can do anything from Rubbermaid, to expensive freezers and such.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Vehicle based. Just want to keep dry food dry and dust free basically. I have come to the conclusion that the Engel is overkill. I already have a coleman cooler that works fine to keep my cold stuff cold. I haven't been able to find just the right size of a rubbermaid, sterelite, etc that is just the right fit yet. They all seem to either be too tall/narrow or too wide/short. I also really like the bar handles too.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Check out Plano. They have hundreds of cases, and some even have gaskets if you want that. Reasonably priced, domestically produced(assuming ABQ is Albuquerque). If you have specific dimensions, that would help. I have a medium sportsmans trunk, and love the thing.

I think this will resemble the blue thing in your original post, http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=115&PID=1236

It has the ability for you to put some weather stripping in the lid to make it more water resistant, has built in bungee tie-down, and a fully removable/stackable lid.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Check out Plano. They have hundreds of cases, and some even have gaskets if you want that. Reasonably priced, domestically produced(assuming ABQ is Albuquerque). If you have specific dimensions, that would help. I have a medium sportsmans trunk, and love the thing.

I think this will resemble the blue thing in your original post, http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=115&PID=1236

It has the ability for you to put some weather stripping in the lid to make it more water resistant, has built in bungee tie-down, and a fully removable/stackable lid.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I like it, but that case is still too large. Roughly (without actually measuring), the basket I have now is 14"x10"x12"

irish_11

Explorer
I use an action packer for dry food storage. Works great, takes abuse well too. The locking lid really helps. On a Moab trip a few years ago one of my friends had his food in a regular Rubbermaid tub. We went off for a hike and came back and ravens had opened the tub, but my action packer was undisturbed. Sure it wont keep a bear/raccoon out, but it stops little camp robbers from getting to it. Plus its water resistant so you can keep it in the truck bed or toss it in a canoe/boat without worrying as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles