Flippac torsion bar

mattyj

Dave, still talking to FRP about a replacement so hopefully I was just jumping the gun on this, but since I have a lot of trips coming up I wanted to look into other options as quickly as possible. Will contact Shroeder when I get home next week unless I hear that someone else already has.

So I got my bar after 14 weeks last Tuesday - looks not to be of consistent diameter?

That's how my old (2007) torsion bar looked as well; there weren't any obvious visual differences between the replacement they sent me and the original one that came with my shell. Since it's covered in an aluminum tube, it's hard to compare them until you get things disassembled.

I did talk with Adventure Trailers yesterday to see how they get service on the units they sell. They will no longer be selling Flip pac

Does this mean their Jeep variant is dead also, or did they build that separately from FRP? Just wondering if they have their own source for torsion bars for that.

Yes, the bar was installed following the awesome step-by-step photos from a couple years ago on this forum. I suppose it's not out of the question I did something wrong, but the lid was definitely vertical.

gfiero

Adventurer
I read this thread with great trepidation, I got my FP in May of 2011, (ordered in August of 2010) from AT. Sorry to hear they are giving up but I can understand. I broke a prop rod and got no help or info from FP which is only a short drive away. I ended up making new rods with some scrap emt I had sitting around. After reading this I am wondering if I should carry a couple of 8" poles just in case......

tacoluv

Observer
Greetings from Tom - Midwest Overland Society (MOS),

My Flippac was installed in March of 2010 and bar broke in October of 2014. As I mentioned in my previous post, torsion bar came last week - minus the cover tube which was ordered at the same time Have not installed yet because of weather here in MN (-30F windchill this morning). So picked up an aluminum tube for $12 at Home Depot and plan to get going on replacing broken bar soon. Now some humor - I requested instructions for installation when ordered, which of course did not come with bar. So I sent an email requesting same and they sent me a link to this very forum with the great pictures and write up done by a forum member ?????????

I know folks on this forum appreciate preparation for trips to prevent breakdowns and bringing spares and tools and things needed for repairs on the road. We went on extended trips to Alaska and eastern Canada including the Labrador highway. A broken torsion bar was not on my radar then - but it is now. As mentioned previously the bar broke at the start of a 3 day stay on the beach at Padre Is Nat Seashore last fall. No problem when gulf coast winds are fair for sleeping on the sand.

So I will be planning on options for future trips. I did a follow up to Schroeder Steering about this torsion bar. They have not heard of Flippac so they are not the source. They told me they can make them up from specs in 6 weeks for $400 for one off-runs.Told me can reverse engineer if they have a bar. I will send my broken bar so they can get dimensions, spline counts and size, and do a hardness test I assume. Safe to say FRP will not tell us where they are made or give us specs. My guess is FRP gets bars from China in quantities - hence the delivery times and quality control issues if made from scrap rebar or material unknown. This is not meant to be disrespectful of the tremendous capabilities in China but only just saw report on questionable steel production practices.

Any thoughts to bring an end to torsion bar topic?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
2 Questions.
1. What does a broken torsion bar look like? How did you know? Loud pop?
2. If the lid broke on a trip, does it close so you can get home? I do so many trips were I open and shut the top a couple of times a day, and now concerned (this site is as bad as Mud making me worry about my 80 series head gasket.)

colotaco

Adventurer

My Flippac was installed in March of 2010 and bar broke in October of 2014. As I mentioned in my previous post, torsion bar came last week - minus the cover tube which was ordered at the same time Have not installed yet because of weather here in MN (-30F windchill this morning). So picked up an aluminum tube for $12 at Home Depot and plan to get going on replacing broken bar soon. Now some humor - I requested instructions for installation when ordered, which of course did not come with bar. So I sent an email requesting same and they sent me a link to this very forum with the great pictures and write up done by a forum member ?????????

I know folks on this forum appreciate preparation for trips to prevent breakdowns and bringing spares and tools and things needed for repairs on the road. We went on extended trips to Alaska and eastern Canada including the Labrador highway. A broken torsion bar was not on my radar then - but it is now. As mentioned previously the bar broke at the start of a 3 day stay on the beach at Padre Is Nat Seashore last fall. No problem when gulf coast winds are fair for sleeping on the sand.

So I will be planning on options for future trips. I did a follow up to Schroeder Steering about this torsion bar. They have not heard of Flippac so they are not the source. They told me they can make them up from specs in 6 weeks for $400 for one off-runs.Told me can reverse engineer if they have a bar. I will send my broken bar so they can get dimensions, spline counts and size, and do a hardness test I assume. Safe to say FRP will not tell us where they are made or give us specs. My guess is FRP gets bars from China in quantities - hence the delivery times and quality control issues if made from scrap rebar or material unknown. This is not meant to be disrespectful of the tremendous capabilities in China but only just saw report on questionable steel production practices.

I for one would love to have a US company make a better product that was more sturdy and weather resistant. I've only had my flippac for a little over a year and am already worried about failure. Please keep us posted on developments from Shroeder Steering, if they can make one I would buy it.

tacollie

Glamper
Supposedly my replacement is on the way. Who really knows though. I am willing to send it out if someone can competently reverse engineer it even if it cost me some extra cash. At $540 they should last for more than a dozen uses.
The delete allows us to use our Flippac but there is no way my girlfriend can open it by herself. She is fit and lifts obese people daily at the hospital where she works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Supposedly my replacement is on the way. Who really knows though. I am willing to send it out if someone can competently reverse engineer it even if it cost me some extra cash. At $540 they should last for more than a dozen uses.
The delete allows us to use our Flippac but there is no way my girlfriend can open it by herself. She is fit and lifts obese people daily at the hospital where she works.

FRP is charging $540 for a replacement now?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
2 Questions.
1. What does a broken torsion bar look like? How did you know? Loud pop?
2. If the lid broke on a trip, does it close so you can get home? I do so many trips were I open and shut the top a couple of times a day, and now concerned (this site is as bad as Mud making me worry about my 80 series head gasket.)

FlipPac Torsion Bar Broken.jpg

DVexile

Adventurer
They told me $540 for the bar and $40 for the aluminum sleeve.

Maybe if they are charging that much it is because they've found a new source with more reliable manufacturing and quality raw materials?

Yeah, probably just wishful thinking on my part...

DaVikes

Adventurer
"Does this mean their Jeep variant is dead also, or did they build that separately from FRP? Just wondering if they have their own source for torsion bars for that."

AT designed their own torsion bar, and it visually looks a lot more robust than the Flip pac bar. As far as I know they are still making the Habitat. Ursa Minor does the fiberglass for the Habitat, not FRP.

tacoluv

Observer

So it warmed up today to 20 F and I got the bar installed. Did the wife in the second floor window procedure - worked very slick. Once top is vertical just some mallet taps on passenger side gets splines engaged. Lowered with some trepidation but all is well and hope the bar lasts. Someone mentioned the price - I paid less than the $540 quoted because I caused a fuss and they knocked off $80. Never did get the cover so they are going to credit me - so they say.

I do plan to have a conversation with Schroeder to get a quote after I send in broken bar. I would think some quantity pricing could bring the price down. A bar needs to be tested to make sure the torsion rate is correct before it can be said that this is an option. If someone can send a new bar that would be ideal. I'll update on the torsion bar alternative sourcing topic.

Note: the splines on one side of bar are about 2.5" long and on the other 2". Make sure the long side is on the driver side which allows that side to be in place and leaving the passenger side splines ready to be engaged when vertical. The pictures truly are worth a thousand words.

tacollie

Glamper
Me to. My new torsion bar from FRP should be here next week. I would be willing to send it of to be reverse engineered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94