Flippac torsion bar

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I am surprised someone hasn't come up with a competition product. E Camper and J30 folks, far more pick-up trucks than vehicles for their products. The idea is brilliant, one size lid/bed/tent and then offer 5 or so shells that fit about everything. I was looking to see if I could connect with Viking Vince (no luck) but there was a rumor FRP planned a top only product that could be attached to anything a couple of years ago.... not sure what happened, it was the first I heard of it.

tacoluv

Observer
The broken bar I shipped to Schroeder has been received. Gary - the owner is on vacation till Tuesday. Person I talked with said they will look at then. My guess is they would be willing to make these, especially if we can get some quantities. I will talk with him then to see if we can proceed.

DVexile

Adventurer
I am surprised someone hasn't come up with a competition product. E Camper and J30 folks, far more pick-up trucks than vehicles for their products. The idea is brilliant, one size lid/bed/tent and then offer 5 or so shells that fit about everything. I was looking to see if I could connect with Viking Vince (no luck) but there was a rumor FRP planned a top only product that could be attached to anything a couple of years ago.... not sure what happened, it was the first I heard of it.

Adventure Trailers does make the JK Habitat which is essentially a top only Flip Pac for a Jeep JK. Seems like they could create their own pickup shell version starting from that lid and tent. Perhaps they will do that now that they've stopped providing Flip Pacs.

But don't underestimate the effort and cost required to develop a new product, especially a relatively low volume one. The Flip Pac has been around for a very long time so its design and production setup cost is fully amortized. As someone mentioned it is quite likely FRP is able to use the Flip Pac product to smooth production surges and drops from the rest of their fabrication business. That means reduced labor cost and essentially no inventory costs since they just delay delivery on already booked orders as needed. It is "just in time" manufacturing where it is "just in time" for them to optimize their business as a whole rather than "just in time" for the customer ;)

@tacoluv - Thanks for taking the lead on this! Hopefully we can all benefit from your leg work!

WOODY2

Adventurer
DVexile;That means reduced labor cost and essentially no inventory costs since they just delay delivery on already booked orders as needed. It is "just in time" manufacturing where it is "just in time" for them to optimize their business as a whole rather than "just in time" for the customer ;) @tacoluv - Thanks for taking the lead on this! Hopefully we can all benefit from your leg work![/QUOTE said:
Be assured they're not Porsche or anyone who uses 'just in time" to it's potential but rather "yawn, when we get around to it" manufacturing. Some sharp individual or group is going to jump in and do it right… sooner the better. Kudo's to the OP that's offering up his time and broken bar to further the cause. :victory:

dman93

Adventurer
The broken bar I shipped to Schroeder has been received. Gary - the owner is on vacation till Tuesday. Person I talked with said they will look at then. My guess is they would be willing to make these, especially if we can get some quantities. I will talk with him then to see if we can proceed.

tacoluv, thanks for doing what I have wanted to do but never got off my butt. If I can be so bold as to offer a word of advice, please make sure that Schroeder's understands that this torsion bar is twisted 90 degrees from its neutral position in its standard position (essentially 90 degrees preload) and then has to travel a full 180 degrees. This is so different from automotive suspension applications that it has to be emphasized.

Thanks - dman

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Adventure Trailers does make the JK Habitat which is essentially a top only Flip Pac for a Jeep JK. Seems like they could create their own pickup shell version starting from that lid and tent. Perhaps they will do that now that they've stopped providing Flip Pacs.

But don't underestimate the effort and cost required to develop a new product, especially a relatively low volume one. The Flip Pac has been around for a very long time so its design and production setup cost is fully amortized. As someone mentioned it is quite likely FRP is able to use the Flip Pac product to smooth production surges and drops from the rest of their fabrication business. That means reduced labor cost and essentially no inventory costs since they just delay delivery on already booked orders as needed. It is "just in time" manufacturing where it is "just in time" for them to optimize their business as a whole rather than "just in time" for the customer ;)

@tacoluv - Thanks for taking the lead on this! Hopefully we can all benefit from your leg work!

Actually John at Ursa Minor sells the fiberglass mold to adventure trailers. They fit the tent and the rest as I understand.

I believe several people have asked John about doing truck campers, but I know he is very busy. He may be a resource if you're looking for such a project.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thank you! Can't wait to hear what they say!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

I'm in for a spare - keep us posted!!!

tacollie

Glamper
Schroeder told me the bars are to long for them to heat treat. The search continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arclight

SAR guy
You might want to ask if he'd be willing to send them out for heat treat if there's a batch to be made. Or if he can refer you somewhere. My experience with junk yards and machine shops is that they know everyone in their line of business. But you have to ask if you want a referral.

Also, I wonder if he could still give you an idea of what material/specs it needs?

Arclight

Schroeder told me the bars are to long for them to heat treat. The search continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacoluv

Observer
Confirming what Arclight said, Schroeder can't do the bar from broken one I sent in. I didn't get any other info from Gary other than it's not what they do. He doesn't know who else to talk with about getting bars made - must be an offshore source he said. As stated the 90 twist is extreme and the suspension bars don't get that kind of abuse. I know there must be someone out there who could do this.

I tried folks

dman93

Adventurer
Thanks tacoluv. I've got a bit of free time ... let me try some possible leads. If I got a new t-bar, I'd need a handle as well. Does anyone know if they're more readily available from FRP, or is there anyone who is happy with their t-bar delete who would be interested in selling their handle (crank arm)?

Thanks - dman93

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94