Need info on removing the starter

mike5

Adventurer
I think it's time to rebuild the starter. I looked at the FSM but I have a couple of questions as it's not clear to me. First, where is the starter and how do I get to it. Is it from the bottom on the passenger side? Second, do I need to remove any oil cooler lines or other items to get to it? FSM seemed to indicate so. Is it an easy or straight forward job where I can have it out in 30 min?

Thanks
Mike

mike5

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I crawled down there this morning and had a look. Looks like two bolts holding the starter/solenoid and on the solenoid 3 connectors. My guess is power, ground and a sensor wire.

To give a background the car has developed an issue recently where sometimes in starts fine while other times the start/crank is very weak. It would seem like a failing battery. Except battery has been replaced and alternator rebuilt. I've checked voltage on the battery and alternator and both are working great. It seems like sometimes I can start the car 5 or 6 times in a row in a matter of a minute and no issue. While others (usually after a drive) I experience the issue. Hence the starter.

But when down there and looking around today I noticed the positive connector had a lot of grime on it. So I removed the wire connector from the terminal and cleaned it. I'll try it out for a few days and see if that made a difference. If not, then I'll pull the starter.

mike5

Adventurer
Thanks for that. Well the cleaning did not fix it. Today is a hot day in SoCal. Started the car, drove 10 minutes to someones house, parked for 30 min. Came to start the car and it sounded a little weak...but started. Drove 15 minutes, parked the car for one hour. Started the car and it started. Drove the car 30 min, stopped, let it idle with the AC on. Checked voltage and it looked good (13.6). Turned off the AC, RPMs dropped and car turned off. I don't think this is a related problem. I know RPMs fluctuate and sometimes idle is low with this car...so for now I'll ignore this event. Checked voltage and it was around 12.6v. Started the car, very slow cranks, didn't start. Stopped cranking, waited 5 seconds and tried again. Cranked slow but engine started. Checked voltage, 13.6. Turned the car off and one 3 or 4 times and it fired right up.

I guess next week I'll pull the starter/solenoid and have it rebuilt. See what happens then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne