Sportsmobile Sprinter 4x4 for sal $75K

Keyne

Adventurer
SMB West has a used Sprinter 4x4 for sale in their preowned section. I wonder who did the conversion but appears to have DANA 60 axles. Wonder how that would work with the electronics, but sounds interesting... Quote from ad regarding 4x4:

"Spec's for 4x4: 3.5 inch lift, Dana 60 Super mono-beam front axle, manual hub locks, open front differential, manual 2 speed NV271 transfer case, Dana drivelines, Moog SSD 92 HD steering stabilizer, HD front axle track bar with replaceable poly end bushings, coil front axle suspension, Billstein front shock absorbers, upgraded chrome moly road master front and rear sway bars. Steel rear axle lift blocks, rear axle traction bar, pair rear axle billet wheel adapters, added rear leaf springs, upgrade to 17” rims polished aluminum"

http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html

I am not affiliated with the seller.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like on of the conversions by the guys in the Redding CA area - white feather or something? Mileage is 48,000 miles.

1.jpg

Kinda nice but too expensive compared to what the new factory 4x4 will list at....

xoblaim

Observer
I feel like this is a pretty good deal considering a new Sportsmobile Sprinter w/o the 4x4 conversion is probably around 80k

Racingdad

Adventurer
I feel like this is a pretty good deal considering a new Sportsmobile Sprinter w/o the 4x4 conversion is probably around 80k

The price seems pretty close to what I'd expect for a used Sprinter Sportsmobile with the 4x4 conversion and maybe there is room for some bargaining. I have only heard speculation about where the OEM new Sprinter AWD will finally end up cost wise. Nothing will sale at MSRP from what I understand.

A used 2006 Sportsmobile Sprinter 2500 with around 66K miles is on the Texas site for $43,500 and White Feather conversions for a 2500 SRW starts at $23,500.

So without trying to bargain further and waiting 4-6 weeks for the conversion plus transport, you are at $67K if you want to convert a 2WD Sprinter Sportsmobile. The upgrades to the White Feather conversion would have to be spec'd out to see where the current 2008 would really be. The ad states what could be upgraded components or the standard conversion package for all I know. "Spec's for 4x4: 3.5 inch lift, Dana 60 Super mono-beam front axle, manual hub locks, open front differential, manual 2 speed NV271 transfer case, Dana drivelines, Moog SSD 92 HD steering stabilizer, HD front axle track bar with replaceable poly end bushings, coil front axle suspension, Billstein front shock absorbers, upgraded chrome moly road master front and rear sway bars. Steel rear axle lift blocks, rear axle traction bar, pair rear axle billet wheel adapters, added rear leaf springs". The answer would be to call White Feather and ask what the upgrade path is. I would assume ARB air lockers etc and there is no limit if you are willing to spend the money.

The real question I have is how it drives and does it feel right. I have heard mixed discussions on the non-MBZ conversions. If it does meet your driving requirements and you like the lay out, then just a few more add ons (bumpers) and your ready to go.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The real question I have is how it drives and does it feel right. I have heard mixed discussions on the non-MBZ conversions. If it does meet your driving requirements and you like the lay out . . .

:iagree:

I believe nothing would be more critical than driving the truck down a freeway and around a couple of curves at speed. No matter what your off-pavement use might be, the vast majority of your miles will be on pavement and you'll hate driving the truck if it's skittish and unstable on pavement.

Obviously, some compromise is necessary and appropriate. Even the forthcoming factory 4x4 Sprinter, with a 3-4" lift and commensurately higher center of gravity, is going to give away something, and many of us are eager to learn just how much. A stock Sprinter drives pretty nicely, but the change in suspension and driveline may not be to your liking.

Racingdad

Adventurer
I agree 100% Mike! I find myself very sensitive to suspension changes and knowing the subframe design for the 4x4 add on is going to change the vehicle dynamics gives me pause. The only way to tell is to drive it and give it the "seat of the pants" test. The Sprinter is down in Bishop, CA about 180 miles south of Reno so I won't be down that way for awhile unfortunately or I would go and take it out for a spin. That area though is perfect for a Sprinter 4x4 with all the dirt roads.
Tad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne