Awning without a roof rack?

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Does anyone have any ideas for this? I do not have a rack for my 2 door JK and I don't see myself getting one in the near future. What options do I have for a side mounted awning that does not include any drilling or permanent changes to the jeep? For what it's worth I have a hard top.

The only real ideas I had was suction cups or magnets with metal on the inside.

swduncan

Observer
Find a couple of mag antenna mounts, and attach them to the awning. You'll need to make the connections adjustable to account for roof curvature.

tarditi

Explorer
How about some sort of strap system - like you would have on a kayak rack for a car with no roof rack.

Easiest thing, really, is just rig up a tarp... the outer ends can be adjustable poles with guy lines staked down.

bluehash

Adventurer
Does anyone have any ideas for this? I do not have a rack for my 2 door JK and I don't see myself getting one in the near future. What options do I have for a side mounted awning that does not include any drilling or permanent changes to the jeep? For what it's worth I have a hard top.

The only real ideas I had was suction cups or magnets with metal on the inside.

Hopefully some tips in the below thread. I had asked the same question:)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116256-Awning-without-roofrack

grogie

Like to Camp
I'm headed to Utah soon and I bought one of these Smittybuilt awnings that attaches to the spare on my Jeep TJ. It comes in a small bag and should provide enough shade. We'll see. I also did not want to put a roof rack on my Jeep.

83_1.jpg

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Find a couple of mag antenna mounts, and attach them to the awning. You'll need to make the connections adjustable to account for roof curvature.

I thought about these, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it is not that practical having a plastic roof. I would have to carry metal plates with me which would be a bit of a pain to set up. My roof is flat, no curves like a metal roof.

How about some sort of strap system - like you would have on a kayak rack for a car with no roof rack.

Easiest thing, really, is just rig up a tarp... the outer ends can be adjustable poles with guy lines staked down.

There are no good places to put straps on the back, only the front doors would give me a decent mounting location.

Bus depot has a neat suction cup mounting system for awnings - would work great with my Kelty carport awning.

http://www.busdepot.com/b9013

I will have to look into these a bit more. I wonder if they would create sufficient suction on my textured roof.

Hopefully some tips in the below thread. I had asked the same question:)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116256-Awning-without-roofrack

I will need to look into this.

I'm headed to Utah soon and I bought one of these Smittybuilt awnings that attaches to the spare on my Jeep TJ. It comes in a small bag and should provide enough shade. We'll see. I also did not want to put a roof rack on my Jeep.

83_1.jpg

I did consider this option but I would rather go out the side than out the back. An awning out the side gives me more useable square footage and I don't like the idea of unhooking it every time I want to get into the back.

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I have velcro loops I added into my DIY version that attach around my factory rack off the side

it all rolls up & goes into my thule overhead when not needed

evaliquette

Observer
I've been working on a bolt on concept for my JKU. I can't stand having a hard top in summer either. I don't have a rack. It would be side mounted and lightweight. More to come if I can get my act together

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Perhaps something could be done with the threaded version of the Seasucker mount:

https://www.seasucker.com/product-category/vacuum-mounts/

The attachment is a 1/4-20 thread, which may or may not be good enough for your project.

And they're not cheap. But I have one that's several years old, and it still grips like crazy.

IMG_2761.jpg

Something like this has been on my radar, I used to use them doing rig shots on cars. They are very strong and 2 will hold a 20 foot boom with a camera on the end. I am just not positive they will hold on the roof since it is not smooth.

I've been working on a bolt on concept for my JKU. I can't stand having a hard top in summer either. I don't have a rack. It would be side mounted and lightweight. More to come if I can get my act together

I have the hard top on all year long since I do not own a soft top. I am interested in what you have planned as long is it requires no permanent mods

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles