are rtt the next "must have" item?

JackW

Explorer
I like my Maggiolina - fast up and down (1 minute up - about three minutes down due to having to tuck in the tent sides) and all of the bedding stays in the tent freeing up cargo room inside the D-90.

Everything I need for a long weekend easily fits below the rear window line in the back - typically an Engel 35 qt fridge, two wolf cases for food and kitchen stuff, 5 gallon water jug, clothes duffel, chair, big table, camera case, and a couple of lanterns.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Yes, I suspect RTTs have surpassed snorkels and drawer-mounted Partner stoves as THE must have item for the modern exposexual... not that there is anything wrong with that! Seems most people that have them absolutely love them.

Cee-Jay

PS: I have a Partner stove.

enzo

Explorer
You probably see more RTTs because of all the *insert chineese brand tent here* group buys. Is it a must have item? Hell no but they make life easier.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hey.. count me in as 1 of the Victorians running around with an RTT. Had a kamparoo before the RTT and while the kamparoo was pretty neat; i enjoy not having to lug a trailer around and still being off the ground at night

20140815_145159.jpg

Cool! Nice rig :) Hey I was wondering if we could get a Victoria Rooftop Tent meeting going? I'm super interested to see as many as possible and compare them :)

KRP

Observer
If there is a Victoria RTT meetup, I will meet up (sans RTT) to see what they are like. I think I have the better half convinced that we would benefit from having one with the West Coast weather we experience. It would be great to see some of them. We're (I guess it's really just me) currently shopping CVT and Tepui, and we definitely want an annex.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
those look impressive & what not

personally with my injury I cant sleep flat

I prefer a hammock, hang it from the roof rack to a tree & you're golden

however a RTT does offer protection from wild animals if in such an area

luk4mud

Explorer
I looked at teh RTT option very hard before I decided to have a teardrop built instead. Each approach has its advantages. Biggest two minuses for me on the RTT were the winds we get in the desert here and getting uo at night when nature calls.

Honu

lost on the mainland
or just means they have to work a bit harder for there dinner
those look impressive & what not

personally with my injury I cant sleep flat

I prefer a hammock, hang it from the roof rack to a tree & you're golden

however a RTT does offer protection from wild animals if in such an area

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
That's the plus side of a trailer with an RTT... park it and leave it... go exploring. However with the trailer I can go back into the woods too, but it just depends on if I'm comfortable with taking a trailer wherever it is. Like Black Bear Pass would not be a place I'd take a trailer. :)

9g34w.jpg

I did the same thing. I looked long and hard at an ARB to mount on the back of my Tacoma DCSB... then I started to look at M416 based trailers and the combination of the extra storage (safe, secure, dust and critter free), the ability to set up, drop it and go, and then all of the other RTT advantages (flatter, cleaner, cooler, and dryer I find... plus the cool CVT group buy) made it a MUST HAVE.

I have since this pic replaced the rear stabilizer set-up, but still use wood ramps to increase the trailer height so the annex is very usable without raising the trailer via a SOA.

IMG_1256.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Yes cost is a factor and it is addressed often here. My amortization schedule works like this, $1500 divided by an average cost of hotel rooms in this area at $160 = 9.375 nights.
After 10 sleeps the tent is paid for.
Well at least the wife accepts it...!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles