are rtt the next "must have" item?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I noticed more and more Roof top tents on the road then ever before! Just in our little town of Victoria BC I have counted 10 local trucks with them. Then there are the travelers that come through.... Crazy! As for brands, there are 3 ARB, 4 CTV in Victoria. Eazy Awn and Beduin are also around.

Cool to see them, but I'm just amazed by it.

Cheers
A

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I dig them, but they're WAY too expensive. I'll take a traditional tent, and put it on some kind of platform if i'm worried about critters invading during my slumber. I should start making those things... there is absolutely no way there is $1000.00 of material on them.

rk_az

Adventurer
Certainly not a "must have". They have advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on your priorities. For me, the critters don't even figure into the formula. Not having the tent touch the ground means the tent does not get as dirty, I don't have to worry about finding flat ground to sleep on, or pounding stakes into rocky or sandy ground, or any ground. My CVT is technically a TTT I guess, since it is on my trailer. I typically spend days in one spot, and can't have my vehicle tied down.

tarditi

Explorer
I think they are very cool, but a lot of places I go locally, the vehicle is separate from the campsite. This isn't a show-stopper, but it makes it harder to justify the expense and constant load on a daily-driver when I would use it infrequently.

brentbba

Explorer
I love my Eezi-Awn on my trailer as it leaves the vehicle free for day trips, etc. That being said, the trailer does limit some of the trails I can go on for expeditions in Death Valley in particular if the route includes Lippencott Grade and many of the trips do. It's got a hairpin that I don't think truck/trailer would make it around. Don't even own a ground tent any longer.

I dig them, but they're WAY too expensive. I'll take a traditional tent, and put it on some kind of platform if i'm worried about critters invading during my slumber. I should start making those things... there is absolutely no way there is $1000.00 of material on them.

I thought the same thing but a CVT group buy came along with enough off to make it too tempting. Once I got the tent I was in awe by the actual product, ease and comfort. I do wonder about $3000.00 price tag for a similar tent to mine though. I think it is time for a RTT forum on here.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I should maybe mention that I have ARB mounted on our jeep...

We were lucky to find one used for a very good price and love it! After years of camping in tents/hammocks and even a westfalia bus I have to say that the RTT offers several advantages.

1: You know that your bed is always flat and cosy
2: The ARB is fairly dark inside and even driving by cars at night are less noticable than a ground tent!
3: The ventilation is amazing! Being off the hot ground and up a couple feet makes a difference
4: Love the anex! Adds soo much more luxury to a rainy day.
5: Ours folds out the back creating a nice shelter for tailgate cooking :)
6: bad weather camping doesn't effect us anymore... no crawling into the ground tent through the mud, our anex allows us the take the rain gear/shoes off before we go up.

Downs:
Stays on the car.... heavy and not good for millage but looks good ;-)
If bought new, they are expensive!
Once camp is set up you are pretty much stuck at the site....

I have read lot about the different brands/styles and such, but I would LOVE to see different tents set up side by side to get a better idea about the designs.

Cheers and thx for the replies!

AP4190047.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
The last campground that I drove into, the lady that was checking me in was telling me where I had to place my tent. I was like, it's on the trailer, which she was perplexed by as it didn't look like the typical popup trailer. (lol)

I'm trilled with mine just to get off of the ground. There was a time when just a sleeping bag in a typical tent was just fine, but then it went to air mattresses, and then cots with air mattresses, and that's just more stuff to have to carry. Plus I love how quickly it opens and closes. I can close mine up in less then five minutes and I'm on my way...
:smiley_drive:

erk469

My family is too big, there is 7 of us and I don't think that we would fit in one especially with 8 yr old triplets....LOL..I will talk the traditional tent. They do look nice but way to expensive for me. I might try and make one out of canvas or something like that.

stingray1300

Explorer

The term "too expensive" is relative and subjective. If it is true for you, then do whatever works for you.
BTW, I love my Tepui RTT! Comfy as @ home. And, the wife loves it...

Xterabl

Adventurer
Everyday, when I want to go trail riding in my rig, I have to pack up the darned tent?
Heh, not gonna happen by a longshot, no way, no how!

Before I do RTT, I will skip straight thru to the trailer-top-tent, which I can leave behind, erected tent and all.

grogie

Like to Camp
Everyday, when I want to go trail riding in my rig, I have to pack up the darned tent?

Before I do RTT, I will skip straight thru to the trailer-top-tent, which I can leave behind, erected tent and all.

That's the plus side of a trailer with an RTT... park it and leave it... go exploring. However with the trailer I can go back into the woods too, but it just depends on if I'm comfortable with taking a trailer wherever it is. Like Black Bear Pass would not be a place I'd take a trailer. :)

9g34w.jpg

32vsnake

Adventurer
Hey.. count me in as 1 of the Victorians running around with an RTT. Had a kamparoo before the RTT and while the kamparoo was pretty neat; i enjoy not having to lug a trailer around and still being off the ground at night

20140815_145159.jpg

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
With the low hanging branches I often go through and the additional weight on top, the RTT idea would not work well for me (unless I had one on a trailer, but then a trailer would limit my travel more than I am willing).

stingray1300

Explorer

Aren't choices wonderful? I hate dragging a trailer all over creation, i.e., wouldn't work for me. If someone DOESN'T do what works for them, then who's to be pitied?

Hey.. count me in as 1 of the Victorians running around with an RTT. Had a kamparoo before the RTT and while the kamparoo was pretty neat; i enjoy not having to lug a trailer around and still being off the ground at night
Sweet Ranger! So, we're "Victorians" now, eh? So be it; but COMFY Victorians! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles