Fold Down Spare Tire Carrier, Frontier

Topgun514

Adventurer
I have been thinking a lot lately about a fold down tire carrier or figuring out how to use the tailgate similar to this: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159543&highlight=fold+rear+tire+carrier

I would like to raise the spare from its current location, get some extra weight in the back (with a bumper) for winter too. My worry about a swing away is that I would like to put larger items occasionally in the pickup and not lose that ability. The tiregate would take away my hitch strength, and mounting it in the bed would take away from precious space.

Has anyone any ideas or thoughts on this. I would love to figure out a design that has been tested. I have an irrational fear of having something made and my spare tire flying off, so strength is a necessity.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Reading the summary of that guy's work sounds like he's hit all the high points:

• Will the weight of tire attached to the tailgate be too much for the tailgate latches?
  • Will you be able to lift the tire assembly up to that position while you try to latch it?
  • Will you be able to reach behind the tire to secure it to the tailgate?
  • Or will you need some sort of "remote" latch?

I'll add a couple more of my own:

• Will having the tire on a drop-down interfere with using the tailgate for other activities like cooking?
  • Will you be able to climb in and out of the bed for normal "truck" activities with that thing in the way? Seems to me it might be awkward to load/unload heavy objects off the tailgate if you're having to maneuver over the dropped tire mechanism...

Topgun514

Adventurer
Tailgate latches: The weight should be nothing more than a 32 in. tire+ rim ~less than 80 lbs static. But I do not know if these tailgates can handle that load.
I will personally be able to lift that weight.
Offsetting the tire to the side would be done to allow for camera operation as well.
Tailgate Latch and Tire latch is what I would probably set up.

Offsetting tire...shouldn't be too big of a deal, I would like the tire mounted as low as it can as well, so it is out of the way when down too. Making an indentation section in the bumper so the spare tire can just slide underneath where a bumper would be.
See above.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Just from looking at it, do it right the first time. Having that tire in the way WILL become a pain in the butt.

Topgun514

Adventurer
Incorporating something like the knucklebone into a rear bumper may be the way to do this. Thanks. Ideas are flowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior