Buying a new truck

Techmaus

I have had an 97 Disco for the past 5 years. I cant say enough about how I truly loved that truck, but my wife has blown it up. I completely understand the Disco 1 and what it needs, but finding a good low mileage one is getting very difficult. So I'm in a bit of a tough spot. What should I replace it with. I need it to be reliable (as reliable as a Rover can be) and the maintenance cant cost a life altering some. So my question is D1 D2 or LR3. Should the discovery be a 4.0 or 4.6 likewise should LR3 be a V6 or V8. Any thoughts would be helpful.

!You're sure you don't just want to fix yours eh? You've got all kinds of local folks that can help out there...the closet that comes to mind is Gordon @ Inland Rovers in Riverside.

Ray_G

Explorer
LR3 with V8. Or better yet, LR4 with V8.

Solves all problems.

This. I love my D1 & am also very glad I got my LR3...in terms of longevity I'd go for an LR3/4 since its harder and harder to find good D1's.
Of course I'd also suggest keeping and fixing your D1 over time unless it is truly destroyed.
r-
Ray

LR Max

Local Oaf
If engine is toast and that is the only problem, drop coin and dump a Cannibal V8 into your D1. Spending money to repower the truck will be cheaper than getting a newer truck.

Once again, problem solved.

That said, its just assuming that the engine is the only problem. If all your wear items are shot, interior is shot, exterior is shot, engine is shot, trans is shot, brakes are shot, etc, then yes a new-to-you truck would be the better course of action.

Techmaus

Thanks every one, The motor is shot but the rest of the truck is great. Problem I have is a "new" engine would cost more than a replacement truck and a rebuild engine seems real hit or miss to me.

LR Max

Local Oaf
True. However spending $5k on an engine (that is going all out, I'm sure you can do it cheaper by rebuilding what you have, finding a good 2nd hand engine, and/or doing the work yourself) is cheaper than dropping $20k on someone's 105k mileage mystery.

Same with my DD. Spending $1k on it IS worth more than the vehicle. However cheaper than 4 months car payment (heck cheaper than the tax one would have to pay when purchasing a vehicle).

That said, if you really want a new truck, then that is understandable.

mapper

Explorer
Anything you buy used will take a solid 1-2k to get miscellaneous problems "sorted" and you will not know the history. If you love your D1, fix the motor, definitely cheaper than a new truck. On the other hand, if you want something different, now is the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles