RR P38 4.6

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have been looking for a '95 RRC LWB, but found a '02 P38 LWB with a new 4.6 and <70K total miles locally. Other than the air suspension and rust, what should I look for?

Want a good backcountry driver, but not going to bash it through the rocks ;-)

Thanks,

Mike S

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Air suspension is the biggie - after years of sticking with it I finally ripped it out and replaced it in Moab one trip.

'01 and '02 were the best years for the P38, IMHO. My '01 still runs strong and has been used off and on highway since I bought it in Dec 2000.

R-Overland

Adventurer
Make sure the EAS works. The Bosch engine is known for air leaks in the intake. if i has a nab system and the screen is black, don't bother trying to fix it.
Good luck

spikemd

Explorer
The p38 is an underestimated capable vehicle. With minimal modifications you can do some great offroading. I agree that 2001 02 are the best years with the bosch electronics and 4 wheel traction control. Yiu can pick them up cheap but outfitting them is more difficult as they aren't as many suppliers compared to the classics. It is an excellent dual purpose vehicle.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I liked mine. I had it for 4 years. If it wasn't for a 4th child I would have kept it longer.

That said, I'm really liking my Disco 2. Lots of parts and it almost seems as though the build quality is better then the RR P38. My plastics are in much better shape.

spikemd

Explorer
I think the exact opposite between the interiors of the range rover and disco. Originally, I wanted a disco but the interior in my mind is inferior to the rangie. The range rover is LR's top of the line model. Quality of the interior, leather and aesthetics is better than the entry-level disco. Maybe your P38 just had a trashed interior. You have to compare two clean examples.

A couple of P38s in Baja:
2013_baja25.jpg

2013_baja44.jpg

Some articulation before my 33s:
p38_artic1.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Mine was not treated well. Most of the plastic was broken when I bought it. I spent a lot of time trying to fix it up. My "new" disco is in much better shape

KyleT

Explorer
The p38 is a nice looking truck and extremely nice and good materials, but the becm and other stuff is rover, unfortunately those will leave you stranded. If cared for it can be relatively reliable.

sedat

Adventurer
I never had major becm issues with mine, just a few transistors that took out some lighting so replaced the upper board and all was well.

early vs late? get the late ones.
Nav system? Get a bmw brain, the displays rarely fail.

I've owned 11 rovers. the p38s were still the most comfortable both onroad and off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles