What years montero is the best

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The Gen. III Limited came with an LSD rear end. IMHO they work very well when driven correctly.
However, ARB does produce lockers for both the front and rear on the Gen. III Montero.
This might be an option, as they may have less rust then the Gen. 2/2.5...
Good luck.

Jkenosh

Observer
I live in se wisconsin also. So rust is defiantly a issue. As much as I hate rust I'm actually pretty used to it. Gonna build truck as a weekend camper Selling it to the wife as a truck that's safer to haul the grand kids around in. I'm going to leave it pretty stock except tires and maybe a mild lift. I have a 2012 Nissan titan that I was going to setup but too worried about scratching and denting it. I do like the awd of the montero so the wife can drive it in heavy snow She is a visiting nurse and her dd is a civic hybrid and even with snow tires it still sucks.

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
With your wife as the primary driver during winter weather, I'd definitely go with a Gen III (2001 and later here in the US). More car-like comfort and handling with the 4-wheel independent suspension and nice interior amenities & comfort. I originally wanted a Gen 2.5 but end up with a 2001 and am very happy with it, mainly because it impressed the hell out of me on a trip to Moab, but also because the wife and kids love it.

plh

Explorer
I'd agree about the Gen 3 comment. My wife is the primary driver of our '05. We just did an 8 day trip to Maine and central New York (3200 miles) with the '05. It is a very comfortable truck on the highway. Averaged 18.5 mpg most of the highways are posted speed limit 70 MPH, so maybe drove 73 to 77 mpg for the majority of the trip. Can't really knock the mileage. Best tank was 20.2 mpg, that was knocking around in Maine at probably 45 to 55 mph. Great scenery in mid central New York - Berkshire, Catskills & Adirondacks

cnutco

Adventurer
If I were going older; I would go with the Gen 2.5! Just looks good. However, I am still loving my Gen3!!!

Before

uhute6a8.jpg

After

9a6abeza.jpg

About the rear lockers... I will have the ABR air lockers installed before the year is over. That is the plan anyway...

MontyMcV

Observer
If you live with snow (you do) and the wife will drive, don't get a Gen III 3.5 XLS (01-02). It will not have Active-Trac. People in other parts of the world who wheel Gen IIIs more have had generally positive things to say about the traction control system.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I had an '89, and I currently have a '95. To be honest, I like them equally. Both are excellent in the rough, have a good deal of interior room, and are quite reliable.

Best is relative...best at what? In what price range? If you need a locker, skip the Gen1 - unless you don't mind going aftermarket or swapping axles.

Honestly though, in my experience with Gen1/2/2.5...they are all solid trucks. Just get one in good condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier