New Build - Choosing a Land Cruiser for Family Overlanding

Northernlilywhite

Thanks Fireball. I have seen some minimalist threads and due to my using it as a DD and also as a family overlanding car (but nothing too far off the beaten path in the first couple years as the kids are small) I think minimalist if the way I will go.

I am thinking of a late 80/early 100 (or LX versions) with the most pressing mods, being new AT tires, baseline servicing of the entire vehicle, new suspension (OME medium I am thinking) and some step sliders. Potentially a new bull bar but not sure. After that I will see how the storage system in the back works, but the roof top tent, heavy electronic work, snorkel, etc are all likely to be a ways off in the future when the vehicle is a purely project truck, or maybe never.

For me the biggest point I am trying to keep in mind is 90% or more of even overlanding is done on paved or dirt roads so driving quality/comfort and reliability are much much more important than rock crawling aspects.

Also thanks for the ih8mud link!

jwilliams

Observer
I would start looking at an 80 and 100.

I had a 2000 LR DII for 11 years. I am so glad I finally sold it and bought a 1997 FZJ80.
It took some time to find the perfect LC for me.... I did so by searching Craigslist ads in other states that I would be willing to drive to.
Hold out and be patient. I was able to find a great deal on a clean 155k mile, triple locked, Collector's Edition. Pictures of the LR I sold, and the LC as it stands now.

Attachments

• 300948_753801733630_1605439176_n.jpg
    300948_753801733630_1605439176_n.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6469.JPG
    IMG_6469.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 373

Northernlilywhite

JWilliams, so glad that someone else can chime in that making the jump is the right decision. Although I think the Disco looked pretty awesome.

I am going to try and be patient and wait for the perfect truck to come around. Like I said before I am going to stick it out for a great late 80/early 100 that is within budget.

Just found this... http://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/4550068624.html Unfortunately I am not back to New England for 6 weeks and it will be gone by then, but E lockers in the back, ARB in the front installed by Slee and new shocks for $9,500 and on ih8mud he posted he would take $9k, which means $8500 in cash easy. What a steal that would be. Sadly it isn't for me but I am sure my lady will come along at the right time.

brentbba

Explorer
I've owned my '94 since new and my wife knows I'm to be buried in it when I kick off! You've had some great and perfect advice and info about the differences between the 80's and the 100's here. '94's did have the better tranny than the '93 and prior and a fairly bullet proof inline 6 motor. I've got 235K miles, new head gasket is the only major thing I've been thru. I have no worries at all going another 235K on this truck.

Fireball gave you a link over to IH8MUD. That site is the best dedicated Landcruiser discussion board I've ever found. Great FAQ section in the 80's section and I think similar in the 100 section. Post up there too. Rigs for sale all the time. If there's one not in your immediate area you really want looked at, find a local cruiser club in the Clubhouse section and someone will volunteer to go look at the rig for you! I know I've done it twice for SoCal rigs from guys elsewhere in the country.

Finally - glad you are coming over from the dark side! :victory:

fireball

Explorer
$8500 for that one is a really good deal. In my mind that's exactly the build you're looking for. Add some sliders and you'd be all set. Recent maintained, F&R locker, etc. Only thing it doesn't have is rear AC. Our siberian husky hangs out in the back, and 95% of our travel is during the summer since my wife is a teacher so the rear AC was a must-have for us.

peepers

Observer
I had an expedition built 80 for years. While it was a bad *** truck and was triple locked, it was far beyond what I needed. I now realize I need a 100 series. Something to get the family around safely and but will also do light duty trails in our National Parks and such.

Here is something I wrote up last night to help put cost in perspective. None of these costs include labor, shipping costs or sales tax, YMMV:

PHASE I - 100 SERIES LANDCRUISER & INITIAL BUILDOUT
INITIAL BUILD SUBTOTAL - $21,669.95

PHASE II - ADDITIONAL OVERLAND ITEMS
SUBTOTAL PHASE II - $4,057.00

GRAND TOTAL - $25,726.95

Last edited:

Northernlilywhite

Thanks Creeper. I had seen those slee pages before and they are an awesome bit of info for a newbie to LC's. Also I happy to hear that ATRAC is so widely accepted as being completely sufficient for all but the most hard core (which I am not).

Peepers- Yeah I accepted that the total spend may be close to 20-25k but I will be carrying it out over a few years and to be honest I may not add some of the items you have listed such as the motorcycle trailer. No doubt it is an expensive hobby but I am just thinking of how expensive flights, hotels, and such are for family holidays vs throwing some food and gas in the truck and pointing her West.

The biggest difference I have noted between Land Rovers and Land Cruisers is this: Discovery owners generally have a few years which they accept as being the pinnacle of the Discovery production namely some late Disco 1's but mainly the 2004 Disco II (which was my rig). However they also have whole forums just on different problems you should look for and things you immediatley need to fix upon purchase. However with Land Cruisers, it is pretty much buy any 80 or 100 series that suits your budget and do some basic maintenance and it will treat you well for another 100k probably. That is an astounding difference and the main reason I am so looking forward to getting a Cruiser in the garage in time for the winter so I can do a ton of basic maintenance items so come spring she is ready to go.

Thanks again for all the info. It is an amazing wealth of personal experience built up on forums like this and it saves newbies like me countless hours and dollars.

Last edited:

qwopzxnm

Adventurer
For me the biggest point I am trying to keep in mind is 90% or more of even overlanding is done on paved or dirt roads so driving quality/comfort and reliability are much much more important than rock crawling aspects.

I think this statement shows you should look more into the 100 series than the 80. I had a very similar situation and budget wanting to spend $10K on a rig for my family of 4. I started researching the heck out of everything on this site and IH8Mud and came to these general conclusions.

80 Series is not as fun to drive on-road as the 100 series but can be built to handle extreme off-roading, rock crawling, etc.
100 Series is a compromise of being able to handle 85% of what an 80 series could do off-road, while maintaining great on-road ride comfort, interior space, and low noise volumes.
I saw a lot of posts where people had fully built 80 series and went to a 100 series with ATRAC and had no regrets.

I used this post to look at some o the options available to me. http://expeditionportal.com/top-10-used-overland-vehicles/
And it looks like a new article was recently posted that is aimed almost directly at your original question: http://expeditionportal.com/the-best-overland-vehicles-for-under-15000/

As others have stated, it's all in what you plan to do with the truck. I came to the conclusion that if the family was comfortable and we had space to pack everything in the truck we would use it a lot more. I ended up spending $10k on a 2001 LX470 with 176K miles on it, pulled the running boards, put some bigger tires on it, and have been enjoying it ever since. The more I use it, the more I'll understand what I need to modify (if anything).

Just my two coppers.

Last edited:

AmityFJ

Observer
Buy the newest, well maintained, lowest mileage one with little amount of rust you can find in your budget. I spent a little time getting exactly what I wanted except for mine having AHC, but what I plan on building mine into its probably ok until it craps out. Enjoying my truck with so far just adding 33s on stock setup. I have an ARB front bumper sitting in my garage for over a year now because once I put that on, I won't be able to stop adding even more till my wallet screams ;-)

Good luck with the search! I think that blue one is a good deal and can't believe its been on the market this long. I'd jump on that if you can get someone to give it a close inspection to make sure it's not hiding something.

alexbv

I have an 80 that is pretty clean, love the looks and capabilities being fully armored and locked and wouldn't trade it for anything. I always get compliments on the trails and that always feels good.
Got it to take the family wheeling and camping but if I was doing mostly overlanding and camping I would get a 100 series. The lack of power on the 80 can be frustrating when trying to keep up with my friends in their 100's and jeeps. Solid axles and lockers are nice but the 2or 3" lift 100 series on 33s make most of the obstacles on the trails we enjoy in Calfornia and have a more comfortable ride and much easier time on long grades and hills. They are also newer and most likely more dependable.

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I'm gonna chimin here too, but I don't have much to add that hasn't been covered. I had a 2002 discovery II from new, and for the first 75,000 miles, we loved it. It will always hold a special place in our hearts, it really stranded us in some wonderful places. But really, when it ran, we loved it.

When I got back from the Stan in 10, after spending a year driving them all over RC East, I decided I wanted a cruiser. I too went back and forth on the 80 or 100 thing. I ended up with a fantastic 94 that we love (except the fuel mileage) and my son just announced the other day that he wants as his vehicle eventually.

I will say, if I had it to do over again, I'd get a 100. You just don't drive the 80 off road enough that things like the solid axles make up for things like rear air and a v8. That being said, I will never sell my 80, but I might add a 100 soon. The kids call the 80 our "zombie escape truck" and it has NEVER failed to get me home. It's going through some much needed long term maintenance right now, and if you spend some time at Mud, you'll be able to guess what I mean (head gasket, emissions EGR stuff) but I am really stoked to get her back and back in the road. I love the damn thing. Most likely in the next two years I'll convert her to a 6BT Cummins, and spend some more money on bumpers and such.

If I get a 100, I'll add tires, front bumper, and slim roof rack and that is it. I will go with a post 03 personally, because it has more of what I want in a DD, the thing for you though, is there are lots of folks looking for newer trucks, making the price of 98-02 soooo doable. I saw a nice 01 the other day for 8500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Northernlilywhite

It sounds pretty loud and clear that the 80 would be top of the pile if I was going to be offroading almost constantly and didn't have a family, but I am now pretty set on the UZJ100 (comfort, ATRAC, rear AC, not eating heads). Now I just have to determine whether I go with a LC or a LX470. In all honestly I will take the first really good deal that comes around and the Slee tech page doesn't show that much substantially different between the Toyota or Lexus versions for a particular year with the exception of the AHC/AVS systems being standard from 1998 on all LX models.

I know the AHC isn't as reliable as standard set up and can get pricey, but the way I see it is that I always am intending on putting in a new shock and spring suspension, so it doesn't really matter if I do a cheap refresh on the AHC on a LX and run it until it breaks then switch to shocks and springs, or if I just remove an old stock shock and spring set up from a LC and put a new shock and spring system in.

Is there any reason replacing a AHC system would be more expensive than replacing a LC shock and spring set up, taking into consideration I am not replacing it with another AHC but always would be going to an OME or similar aftermarket set up?

mph

Expedition Leader
Both LX and LCs are great. FYI...The 98 and 99 LCs did come with rear lockers. The 98 and 99 LXs did not. If that is important to you or not...

It sounds pretty loud and clear that the 80 would be top of the pile if I was going to be offroading almost constantly and didn't have a family, but I am now pretty set on the UZJ100 (comfort, ATRAC, rear AC, not eating heads). Now I just have to determine whether I go with a LC or a LX470. In all honestly I will take the first really good deal that comes around and the Slee tech page doesn't show that much substantially different between the Toyota or Lexus versions for a particular year with the exception of the AHC/AVS systems being standard from 1998 on all LX models.

I know the AHC isn't as reliable as standard set up and can get pricey, but the way I see it is that I always am intending on putting in a new shock and spring suspension, so it doesn't really matter if I do a cheap refresh on the AHC on a LX and run it until it breaks then switch to shocks and springs, or if I just remove an old stock shock and spring set up from a LC and put a new shock and spring system in.

Is there any reason replacing a AHC system would be more expensive than replacing a LC shock and spring set up, taking into consideration I am not replacing it with another AHC but always would be going to an OME or similar aftermarket set up?

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Since you can run 285's on stock suspension, the AHC suspension made sense for me and I love it. However, I won't pay to fix it. If it craps out, I will put a lift kit on it and call it a day. The only downside to my plan is the AHC system is pretty complex and it takes some time to remove it.

If I was in your position, I would try to find a '03+ with AHC. Bolt on some 285's and go enjoy it. I ended up with a '00 because I couldn't pass up the deal. Hind site, I should have held out for an '03+ for that 5-spd trans. All in all, I don't regret it and I love my 100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles