Show off you Laptop/Tablet/GPS mounts please

libarata

Expedition Leader
You were asking about earl the other day, do yourself a favor pick up a Le Pan mini tablet, for 100 bucks, and then download some mapping software, much better than the earl, and available now.

Hah, sweet little thing! I picked up an iPad mini to try out this whole tablet thing. I have never been a fan of touch screens, but I may as well. I am not trying to find a reasonable bit of software.

Whtshos

Observer
What software is that running on the laptop? I'm curious to know what it adds that the GPS, phone and tablet can't give you?
It appears to be DeLorme. I run it at work. Street Atles is what we have. It has had all road on it that I have been on in the Ozarks of AR so far.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Hah, sweet little thing! I picked up an iPad mini to try out this whole tablet thing. I have never been a fan of touch screens, but I may as well. I am not trying to find a reasonable bit of software.

Once you find software that your happy with, it makes a lot of sense to have one in your vehicle. Mine monitors all functions of my rig, I have topo mapping, Sat imagery, on road nav, plus when In signal, its tethered off my phone so we can get weather, information and good eatin spots if on road.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Once you find software that your happy with, it makes a lot of sense to have one in your vehicle. Mine monitors all functions of my rig, I have topo mapping, Sat imagery, on road nav, plus when In signal, its tethered off my phone so we can get weather, information and good eatin spots if on road.

I'd avoid the iPad and Apple products all together. My experience with them is that they emphasize "cool factor" over capability. Software wise, yes, they're okay, but the hardware has a tendency to fall apart.

Anyways, back on topic. I've been experimenting with a phone mount for my PVC design. Not sure how I feel about it and I can't decide if I want it on the left or right side of the tablet, but I do like the direction this is going.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 277

Gatordoc

Adventurer
I cut and pasted this from another nav-device thread I replied to since it seems relevant to this thread, as well.

Here are some pics of my setup:
IMGP0166-M.jpg

Components are Samsung Galaxy Note III (Verizon) in an Otterbox Defender case, Ram X-Grip Phablet holder, Ram double socket standard length arm, a Ram motorcycle handlebar clamp base, and some miscellaneous hardware.
Here's the hardware assembly I used:
20150109_131036-M.jpg

I replaced the M8 SHCS that came with the mount with an M6x1x110mm SHCS to get the length I needed to clear the a-pillar trim, and to match the existing threads in the A-pillar. I used a 3/8 x 1.5" NPT pipe nipple to mock it up as proof of concept and it worked out great, the spacing is just right. Whenever I get around to it I'll get an aluminum standoff to replace it, but it's working fine as-is, for now. MUCH more stable than the old suction cup mounting base.
Here's a couple more:
IMGP0164-M.jpg

IMGP0169-M.jpg

I went this route in order to get rid of the suction cup mounted on the window because my truck has gigantic A-pillars as it is, and the suction mount just made things worse. With the new setup my phone only blocks the A-pillar, so it's not making my visibility any worse that it already is; the first photo is pretty close to where my eyeballs normally live while driving. If you look at the windshield in the 1st and last pics you can see residue where it used to be stuck on. Truck is an '03 Dodge 2500, for reference.
I'm happy with this setup, so the next step is going to be coming up with a charging solution that doesn't involve cables draped all over the dash.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Here's my setup on a normal camping trip.

From left to right:

Backup camera; OBD tablet; Android Mapping tablet (google maps, backcountry navigator); Windows Tablet (NatGeo TOPO, Delorme TOPO, MS Mappoint/Streets & Trips); Hotspot phone on the dash.

A few comments:

None of the screens get in the way of line of sight
None of the screens are in the path of an airbag (driver or passenger)
All tablets are run off the 2nd battery, with extra USB and 12V adapters throughout the cab
The laptop is run off a dedicated 100W inverter also connected to the 2nd battery
Ignore the open switchbox on the dash...I was halfway through a new lighting install, so all those wires are now run smoothly

Attachments

• 2012-11-19 15.14.49.jpg
    2012-11-19 15.14.49.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 197

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Here's my setup on a normal camping trip.

From left to right:

Backup camera; OBD tablet; Android Mapping tablet (google maps, backcountry navigator); Windows Tablet (NatGeo TOPO, Delorme TOPO, MS Mappoint/Streets & Trips); Hotspot phone on the dash.

A few comments:

None of the screens get in the way of line of sight
None of the screens are in the path of an airbag (driver or passenger)
All tablets are run off the 2nd battery, with extra USB and 12V adapters throughout the cab
The laptop is run off a dedicated 100W inverter also connected to the 2nd battery
Ignore the open switchbox on the dash...I was halfway through a new lighting install, so all those wires are now run smoothly

Information overload much?

Seriously, if you need that much data in front of you while driving anywhere, you've got issues. KISS

FLHummer

I have been running a RAM mount for the laptop for about 5 year and a little over a year ago got the mount for the iPad which was a bit more compact. This works great when I am by myself but the RAM mounts to the back of the passenger seat and takes up leg room let along could be in the line of the airbag if I do have a passenger.

IMG_0700.jpgIMG_0467.jpg

I just recently attached a RAM ball mount to the stereo bezel to mount my iPad mini. This takes up much less room, can be positioned pretty much however I want it and is not going to be sent flying if the airbag goes off.

IMG_2307.jpgIMG_2309.jpgIMG_2308.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 256

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles