Show off you Laptop/Tablet/GPS mounts please

AdidasCJ

Observer
I finally got to mine in the ZJ. RAM Mount bolted to the underside of the dash just above the radio. Picture and a video of the function of the tablet.

UsubM

Got everything installed in time for the weekend. I love having the capability of a tablet with Backcountry Navigator, and it frees up my phone to do music and control my Gopro. Next step will be to route the wires a little more efficiently and put in a bluetooth radio

IMG_2046[1] by Micah Uchida, on Flickr

rayra

Expedition Leader
Inexpensive Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite, 7" android tablet. $80 refurb unit, going to be dedicated for vehicle use and wanted to start off cheap anyway.

tabletbracket13_zpsdta0mgly.jpg
tabletbracket16_zps7hvawa6y.jpg

Been wanting to do something like it for a while, then had some ideas sparked by member cyclic's topic a couple weeks ago.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155605-Showing-off-my-Galaxy-Tab-3-install

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...my-Galaxy-Tab-3-install?p=2064443#post2064443

popupvideo04_zpshpkudtii.jpg

popupvideo03_zpskyd3bqak.jpg

-----

I just got the tablet this morning, and while it was fully charging and then downloading and installing a list of useful apps I had already put together, I got busy fabricating the mount. I started off with making a pattern buck of the the tablet, out of some scrap MDF. Bandsaw, table-mounted 12" disc sander, foam sanding block and some 120grit paper. I even tried the model the bevel on the rear of the tablet.

tabletbracket02_zpsr5iefrhz.jpg
tabletbracket01_zps0hb5jw5n.jpg

Next it was transferring my cardboard pattern to some textured 1/8" polystyrene(?), commonly used for custom switch panels and the like. More band saw, table disc sander and some dremel wand action for the smaller inner radii on the tabs that will grab the tablet.

tabletbracket03_zpst9slhnr8.jpg
tabletbracket04_zpscuvagm82.jpg

Then it was on to the heating and the bending. I've done this sort of thing long ago, using the kitchen oven on 'warm'. There's a narrow temp band between 'low as the oven will go' and 'plastic ruined / too soft', so I kept opening to door too frequently trying to check things. Couldn't remember the old rule of thumb and didn't bother looking it up. So I wound up breaking out my cheap Harbor Freight 1500watt heat gun. Like licking a Tootsie Pop to get to the gooey center. 1,2,3,,,,,35, close enough
I used an 18" metal bending break, worked fine on the plastic.

tabletbracket05_zpsjrysikkg.jpg
tabletbracket06_zpsifpg71qk.jpg
tabletbracket07_zpsubcg0jk4.jpg
tabletbracket08_zpsbvbvwxhi.jpg

I ran into some fiddly hassle when I was bending the side tabs, my buck was too thin. I'd done it that way on purpose, so the tabs when fitted to the buck would really hold the real tablet snugly. Turned out WAY too snug. So I had to keep shimming the ends of the buck with masking tape and re-heating and clamping, four or five times over to get a fit I'd accept.

tabletbracket09_zpso49tfo5r.jpg
tabletbracket08_zpsbvbvwxhi.jpg

I used just a bit of 3M super double-stick tape, the gray stuff with the red backing. I'm not done working inside my dash yet, so I didn't want to go overboard sticking it down. I put a double thickness on the right edge of the mount, as the dash falls off in that direction and I wanted the tablet square with the radio face. And here it is in place. I also worked some of the rough edges or the mount tabs after things were fitted, for appearances. And worked those tabs over with a sanding sponge to dull them down.

tabletbracket10_zpsqk8fbjr3.jpg
tabletbracket11_zpsnpsuggz3.jpg
tabletbracket13_zpsdta0mgly.jpg

I still wanted the tablet snug, so when I got the fitment close I called it done. It's a little too tight in the right side, but that works ok. It's easier to lift it up by the top left edge and sort of rotate it out. But it is still snug enough that I believe it will handle the rough desert / forestry roads in my region without popping up and out. And lastly a shot of the bracket alone. It's plain enough it shouldn't invite a break-in. I can just leave the tablet in the vehicle console when not using the vehicle.

tabletbracket15_zpshpdrhx9s.jpg
tabletbracket16_zps7hvawa6y.jpg

I have a double USB / power port converter and a suction cup mount high center on the windshield for my iPhone. I'm planning a few more changes, adding some more USB power locs both on the high console and dash, so I can keep the power cable tangle to a minimum.

I've already put BackCountry Navigator, US Topo Maps Free, Offline Maps & Navigation, and a bunch of HAM radio related apps on the tablet, with a lot more to come. Already took a spin around the neighborhood with US Topo maps Free running with the Tablet's built-in GPS, got about 50' accuracy with it, was cool to see the map moving. Really looking forward to doing a lot of neat stuff with this setup.

eta I'm also soon doing a dash upgrade / swap, the bezel and internal stereo chassis of an 03-06 Sierra/Yukon/Tahoe/Sub, into my '02, which will provide for an easy install of a double-din entertainment unit, DVD, hand's free ph, USB / bluetooth connectivty, the whole roster of goodies. Together they'll look a lot like this -

tabletmockup03_zpsthppww18.jpg
tabletbracket17_zpso6vlop0r.jpg

And with the CB and 2m Ham in my homebuilt center console, a dashcam up behind the rearview, and the windshield-mounted iPhone. Gonna be a busy but streamlined 'cockpit'.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Well looks like I am going to be running my surface full time now. I am going to make up a mount for my touchpad style mouse. great control then. Probably going to get a mini keyboard as well. Great control.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
how do they handle miles of stutter bumps? do they rattle?

I found that my Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" in a case did not work well with the Ram X-Grip - it didn't hold the tablet tightly enough over the washboards, and the tablet would eventually vibrate loose. (And this was on a mount with a VERY short arm in a vertical position, so there wasn't much lever arm for it to oscillate on.)

I've since changed to the Ram "EZ Roll-R" version that's specific to my tablet (without a case), and it holds it perfectly. Something like the "Tab-Tite" or "Tab Lock" cradles that have a more positive grip on the tablet should also work fine.

Raul B

Explorer
I started using the lead navigation app. So far I really like it. The maps are way better.

2b77246d5884d1486abd3ee3083447e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ihatemybike

Explorer
Here mine, for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

FB_IMG_1462053965242[1].jpg

FB_IMG_1462067883538[1].jpg

Yes, that is a re-purposed wire coat hanger. On my Astros, I pull the dash trim out a bit, hook it on, then push the dash trim back on.

Used it two days so far. Tablet tethered to my phone, running the Uber Partner app and Google Maps. For such a low buck solution, it's working great. Doesn't vibrate. Chicago's less than perfect roads have yet to make it budge. Tablet is easy to mount and remove.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Here mine, for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

View attachment 343541

View attachment 343542

Yes, that is a re-purposed wire coat hanger. On my Astros, I pull the dash trim out a bit, hook it on, then push the dash trim back on.

Used it two days so far. Tablet tethered to my phone, running the Uber Partner app and Google Maps. For such a low buck solution, it's working great. Doesn't vibrate. Chicago's less than perfect roads have yet to make it budge. Tablet is easy to mount and remove.

Ok this wins. We can stop now lol

rayra

Expedition Leader
I am really liking the size and placement of my 7" tablet. It lines up nice with everything and so far has been quite solid, but I haven't hit any washboard roads with it yet. And as mentioned earlier I don't have it fully stuck in place yet either. I will after my dash and stereo mods are done.

But in the meantime...

dashtablet02_zpsn0us69wq.jpg

And with the 'US Topo Maps' app

dashtablet06_zpsqmuxbamq.jpg

And farting around with Torque Lite

dashtablet04_zpsonojqb8j.jpg

Can't wait to get everything else installed. Going to be a real nice layout.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I recently discovered the joys of 3D printers and the benefits they can have for custom interiors. In this case, a cell phone holder. Now, I don't have a printer myself, but I am very good at 3D design. Anyways, this was more of a filler for the shifter hole in the center console I bolted into my Bronco, but it works great at holding my cell phone. Its simplicity itself. An angled upright that the Otterbox holster for my cell phone clips onto. No moving parts and provides a quick, clean setup.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also works good for holding my radio. Or any other similar belt clip device.
attachment.php

gunpainter

Observer
I ordered a Ram-a-can mount with universal tab-tite (10") to mount my galaxy tab s2 to test out on the trip this weekend, even ordered next day air shipping on Tuesday of this week so I could make sure that I got it in time. The sent a x-grip mount for an iphone instead. I'm a bit irritated at this moment because they don't help you on the phone, they tell you to email them. Looking for alternatives now. So my First experience with RAM mounts has been about as pleasent as a prostate checkup.

Any suggestions on other companies that make mounts?

Branden

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior