Waterproofing an '08 Dodge Ram 3500 for River crossings?

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
I cross-posted this over here:
http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php/topic/179-snorkel-for-dodge-ram-3500-and-other-waterproofing/

I saw these amazing pics of Sam & Erica's Dodge Ram doing some sick river crossings -- like this one:
Image 2014-08-16 at 3.17.00 PM.png

And I'm just wondering -- how did they waterproof their truck to be able to do that? Esp w/o a snorkel, as I thought the air intake for the Rams was down by the front bumper.

And what about differential breather valves? And what else has to be waterproofed to be able to do something (awesome) like this?

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
hmm

my ram 2500 intakes at the top of the fender and the diffs and tcase are vented up pretty high stock, you can go in some pretty deep water w/o a snorkel, most people in the lower 48 that put snorkels on their rigs are doing it to look more "expo" if your gonna go in water that is windshield deep, you have a lot of things to waterproof besides your intake, unless your rig is a 100% mechanical diesel. imho

Redranger90

Resident Stuped Hillbilly
Definitely some cool pics. I believe they did away with the all mechanical fuel injection in 1998 1/2 when they went to an electronic fuel delivery system with the 24v 5.9 cummins. I had a 94 with a 12v, I miss it dearly lol

Darwin

Explorer
I would probably be more worried about driving down there in a truck that needs ULSD, than if you needed a snorkel or not. Very many people on here and else where spend a ton of money on snorkels, shovels, all the expo gear they think they need to get the "look" right, and never end up taking that grand trip they once dreamed up.

FCM

Not Lost, Finding Another Way
Darwin, forgive me, but why the worry of driving in a ULSD truck?

Darwin

Explorer
Darwin, forgive me, but why the worry of driving in a ULSD truck?
They don't sell ULSD south of the border. Not saying it can't be done, but it is a risk, and something that would concern more than if I had a 'snorkel.' "song of the road" whose truck the OP was asking about I do not believe did anything besides stock and they managed just fine so far. I don't think the OP has even decided on what tires to put on his truck yet. :ylsmoke:

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
Yeah still working on tires as per this thread: http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php/topic/34-turn-key-rigs/?p=1251

And it's not exactly true that they don't sell ULSD south of the border. Here's a post I wrote detailing the countries in which it's sold (as best I can tell): http://forum.xpcamper.org/index.php...ut-low-sulphur-diesel-ulsd-internationally/-- feel free to post any updates there if you have more detailed knowledge of where it's available.

Hopefully by the time I actually get out on the road, the ULSD problem will have been solved, LOL.

marktutone

Adventurer
my ram 2500 intakes at the top of the fender and the diffs and tcase are vented up pretty high stock, you can go in some pretty deep water w/o a snorkel, most people in the lower 48 that put snorkels on their rigs are doing it to look more "expo" if your gonna go in water that is windshield deep, you have a lot of things to waterproof besides your intake, unless your rig is a 100% mechanical diesel. imho

Water is not the only reason you put a snorkel on. You put a snorkel on for cold air and to keep dust out. So the people in the lower 48 who off road should consider installing a snorkel for practical reasons.

jlandon

Get Dirty.

Most factory offroad truck intakes are going to have more fording depth than the drivers are capable of, safely. That said... snorkels look cool, provide cleaner air, provide a feeling of safety and... did I mention they look cool?

But I 100% disagree with your point about waterproofing other items. I'm not sure where the ECU location is on newer Ram trucks, but most modern vehicles with in cab ECU mounting will successfully ford at the windshield depth IF crossing conditions are suitable and intake allows it. If your planning to stop and have a cup of tea windshield deep, your going to run into some problems.

Á typical safe crossing at that depth may lead to a wet floorboard and some adrenaline but I know JKs, XJs, Tacos, 4Runners, TJs, silverados, FJs, FJCs, and even some Lexus rigs can cross windshield deep successfully. The Silverado with no snorkel.

Edit: I'm not saying it is a good idea to do repetitive deep crossings without doing some waterproofing, I'm saying that you could make that depth without them... but if your trip is based some place that deep crossings are necessary, than do them.

Last edited:

eggman918

Adventurer
One thing often overlooked when waterproofing is the power steering reservoir depending on the type of cap it has it will take on water and most likely wont be noticed until it causes a failure.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think bumper height intakes on trucks are a thing of the past. Since the mid-90's, GM has their intake level near the top of the fender as far as I've seen. I haven't looked at a Dodge since about 2010, but they were pulling out of the top of the fender too last I knew.

That truck is only bumper deep, or barely over. I don't think there's a truck out there that won't push bumper deep water.
Jlandon is right, in that most newer vehicles will ford water quite a bit deeper than most owners are willing to go, or companies are willing to publish.

This is particularly true if it's a "quick dip". If you really think you'll try to blaze through water that's REALLY deep, or hit the occasional "Oops" hole, then a snorkel is good insurance. If you think a stuck is in the realm of possibility, then there's a LOT more that needs to be done, starting with the fact that many auto trannies are vented at roughly the top of the trans, without an extended vent or a way to make one! Everything else is usually vented fairly high...

Underhood electronics are well waterproofed. Interior electronics are NOT. This again favors a quick dip, while an extended stay in the water is going to cause issues...

As for ULSD, if you get a truck that's pre-particulate filter, you should be fine. Or get programming for removing the particulate filter, and pull it off for the trip.
Actually, it looks like ULSD is available in most of Mexico now, and has been since 2010. Even if you have to run a tank or two of LSD through it, it'll be ok, it'll just regen a lot more, and your DPF will clog up faster. Probably not a worry for a tank or two now and then, but if you plan to live for a while in an area with no ULSD, then plan to remove the DPF.
Chris

Darwin

Explorer
As for ULSD, if you get a truck that's pre-particulate filter, you should be fine. Or get programming for removing the particulate filter, and pull it off for the trip.
Actually, it looks like ULSD is available in most of Mexico now, and has been since 2010. Even if you have to run a tank or two of LSD through it, it'll be ok, it'll just regen a lot more, and your DPF will clog up faster. Probably not a worry for a tank or two now and then, but if you plan to live for a while in an area with no ULSD, then plan to remove the DPF.
I had no idea ULSD was available in Mexico. I have heard some stations not far from the border had it, but farther south it was all LSD. I know some places in Panama have it, but I doubt the OP will make it from Nogalas to Panama on a tank. :) The OP also lives in CA, I dont think he will be removing the emissions equipment.

lbarcher

Adventurer
Not to de-rail things but anyone who thinks JKs can ford at windshield depth hasn't seen the air intake.
Mine was on the passenger side just behind the hood catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles