Montero vs Tacoma

Jammer

Observer
I know these two vehicles are very different (SUV vs Pickup), but I am facing a dilemma.

I bought a certified 2011 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport a year ago. It currently has 36k on it. The payments are not bad at all and the taco is everything I could ever ask for in a vehicle and then some! I have some minor upgrades...one size larger Cooper Discoverer AT3's, TSB rear leafs w/ Air Lift helper air springs, Bilstein 5100's to level the stance, and just replaced the battery.

I am looking at a very clean 2002 Montero LTD with only 66k on the odometer! They dealer wants $7k and will pay off the taco in full.

I am considering this to save some cash. I don't 'need' to do this, but freeing up more money is always good!

Fears...having never owned a Montero, and buying a 12 year old Florida vehicle, am I opening up a can of worms? Should I stick with the Taco's incredibleness and suck it up with payments, OR get rid of it and get the Montero and free up that cash?!

I have been trying to research these Montero's a lot lately and everyone seems to LOVE them!
Some common issues seem to be:
Valve guide seals
transfer case/ center diff switches
exhaust manifold
brakes

The Taco so far has been the perfect vehicle for me, I just hate car payments.

What would you do?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I love my Montero and would encourage anyone to pull the trigger on the rig you described; however, without inspecting the vehicle you have no idea what the previous owner(s) put the vehicle through.
If the rig checks out and you are looking to save some cash, go for it.
I wheel with a Tacoma often (my brother) and he loves his rig. I have owned a Toyota PU in the past and they are great.
With no need for a PU, and now hauling kids and friends around, the Montero is a perfect fit.
If you're looking for an on-highway road trip rig that performs off pavement, then the Montero could be for you.
You will take a hit in the power band area if switching to the Montero (certainly one of the cons).
Good Luck.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I know these two vehicles are very different (SUV vs Pickup), but I am facing a dilemma.

I bought a certified 2011 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport a year ago. It currently has 36k on it. The payments are not bad at all and the taco is everything I could ever ask for in a vehicle and then some! I have some minor upgrades...one size larger Cooper Discoverer AT3's, TSB rear leafs w/ Air Lift helper air springs, Bilstein 5100's to level the stance, and just replaced the battery.

I am looking at a very clean 2002 Montero LTD with only 66k on the odometer! They dealer wants $7k and will pay off the taco in full.

I am considering this to save some cash. I don't 'need' to do this, but freeing up more money is always good!

Fears...having never owned a Montero, and buying a 12 year old Florida vehicle, am I opening up a can of worms? Should I stick with the Taco's incredibleness and suck it up with payments, OR get rid of it and get the Montero and free up that cash?!

I have been trying to research these Montero's a lot lately and everyone seems to LOVE them!
Some common issues seem to be:
Valve guide seals
transfer case/ center diff switches
exhaust manifold
brakes

The Taco so far has been the perfect vehicle for me, I just hate car payments.

What would you do?

Sounds like the dealer mostly wants your Tacoma, they are a very hot seller right now and is worth a bit more than they are offering you.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I can assure you that you will be getting the short end of the the stick on this one.
The dealer is most likely looking to off load a car that they paid very little for and then will turn around and sell your truck for much more then they give you for it.
Then again this is how they make their money.

For an excample when I bought my 12 reg cab 5 speed 4x4 in 2012 it was brad new seven miles on the clock. I payed extra for an extended warrenty and walked out the door for 22 k
The used car lot down the street had the same truck for sale except it was an 06 had 145k on it and had a sixe up in tires and a mild lift. They were asking and sold it for 14,5

The dealer gave me 15,500 for my 2 year old subaru wuth 45 k on it and I bet they sold it for almost 20.
you will end up losing money. To say nothing of the equity you have into the truck.

If you really want to save cash make some more payment on the taco and then sell it private party make payments till the ammount you owe is enough to pay off your loan and get you in a new rig.
I my self over pay each month on my payment to pay it off sooner.

What it comes down to is that you are looking at getting rid of a rather new problem free car for one that s 12 year old.
What money you save in payments you will at some point end up putting into work on the mistsu

good luck

jhill15

Explorer
Agreed with the above post. You will most certainly be getting the short end of the stick. Unless this dealer is buying your tacoma for the payoff to resale it and leaving you with a zero balance then financing you for the montero and not as a trade in, then what he means by "pay it off in full" is to tack the pay off onto the price of the montero which will in turn make a $7k montero a $7k montero plus your payoff of the Tacoma. Idk what your payoff is but if that is the way the dealer is gonna write it up then that will be one pricey montero.

If not and he is really buying the tacoma off of you as a seperate deal and the montero is a good fit for you then go for it, they are nice rigs. However it will probably need some sort of catch up maintenance.

***On a side note heres how my wife and I got screwed.***

We owned a 2004 honda civic hybrid and all at once the IMA system started throwing codes for pretty much the entire system. So we took it to the dealer and our indy mechanic and both said the same thing...major repair only the indy mechanic said take it back to the dealer. The dealer wanted around $5k for parts and labor. The ima battery itself was $3k new, and used $1500 with no guarantee. The payoff was $5k and some change, the kbb on the car was $3400....hmmmm keep the car and pay $5k in repairs still owe $5k on it and the kbb is $3400, nope! So we traded it in on a brand new "at the time" 2012 nissan versa hatchback with only 7 miles on it. The dealer said they would pay off the honda in full and finance the versa...sweet! In turn a $13k versa instantly became an $18k versa with the payoff of the honda. We really didnt have a choice in our situation it was get screwed on the price of the versa or keep paying on a car that was gonna break down and cost $5k to fix.

Anywho...wild tangent but thats how the price of a car can instantly double.

Hope this helps

Jammer

Observer
Thanks everyone!

All things I have already been thinking about. I used to sell cars and am well versed in the games they play.

I could easily sell the Taco outright and make more money. But I am very particular with what I will and will not own/drive. I could just go out and buy something even cheaper and better on gas, but I most definitely would be miserable.

My whole reasoning behind this all is to get back taxes paid off, buy and engagement ring, and hopefully next year, a house.

I was thinking that as long as the Montero would hold up a couple years, than I could sell it and buy another Taco.

But it is indeed a gamble! They Monty is very clean but slightly showing it's 12yr age. 66k is ridiculously low mileage, but not that rare in Southwest Florida with the older demographic of people we have here.

I guess I am kinda looking for a quick fix.

I posted this in the Taco forums as well, but they don't seem to know much about the Monty's so obviously they would never dream of doing what I am considering.

My brother, and my bank account after paying my monthly expenses are the only two saying "do it". Everyone else is saying the same things you all are saying..."keep the taco"

lol,

I will give my decision to the dealership on Monday.

This is probably the hardest vehicle decision I have ever made!

jhill15

Explorer
Im with you on selling it out right for the fact you could sell it private party for alot more and probably be close to buying the montero out right. It may or may not take more time to sell that way but as for the financial standpoint would be your best option. Although if the dealer buys it off you for the pay off that gets you out of it immediately, plus the payment on a $7k loan compared to your tacoma would probably save you a ton of money monthly.

That being said, the montero isnt a bad fallback to your tacoma. But a very hard decision indeed. Good luck man and keep us posted

Jammer

Observer
Thanks!

If I decide to keep the taco, I will gladly share the info and location of this nice Monty with the expo community! I know someone would love to give it a new home!

Well, it's no secret actually, it is on ebay afterall :smiley_drive:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
How do you use the Taco? How would you use the Monty?

Pro's for the Monty:
1. Super quiet and smooth interior environment compared to taco
2. Captains chairs with feet below you instead of stretched out in front of you. More comfortable on long drives
3. Roomy interior, better family invironment
4. Hold a lot of gear.. inside out of the weather
5. Built like a tank
6. Able to perform acceptably off road with a minor lift and 32" tires.

Pro's for the Taco
1. Tons of suspension options. Ability to lift to truly useful heights

2. Payload!

3. With steel bumpers, will have better approach, departure, and break over angles.

4. Better resale value
5. Better parts availability and more mechanics with familiarity of the platform

Jammer

Observer
I would be able to use the Montero for just about the same things I currently use my Tacoma for except the very occasional larger cargo load in the Tacoma and towing capacity (which was only used once).

I won't wheel either one other than service roads, occasional water fording during the crazy heavy rains we can get down here.

I am basically hoping that a 12 year old low mileage Montero will be as close to trouble free as a 3 year old Tacoma :-/ so I can get a better handle on my finances.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think you'll be pretty happy with the Monty then. I'm currently driving a Gen 2.5, which can found found for under $3k. They have higher mileage and need work, but you can't underestimate the shear pleasure of bombing around in a car that cost you a lot less than it should have. Going from something expensive, to something cheap, but having it be fun to drive and even nicer on the inside is incredibly satisfying.

Mo4130

Adventurer
Do a long term REALISTIC cost analysis of owning the toyota vs selling it, taking a loss and getting the monty

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior