A flippin' diamond in the rough

Camelfilter

Explorer
...I also had an idea for curtain rods, and might throw those together soon. Stay tuned!

I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I tried various configurations of the spring loaded types with poor results. I do still use one on the rear to hold up window screen though, but its also tied in place using zip ties. My screen has 4 panels & connects to each other using magnets so the pass thru is reasonably easy.

On the side windows I now use nylon cord tied in place to something like these 2-Hole D-Rings. The previous owners had installed them for just that purpose, but I didn't read about how they rigged up there curtains for quite a while.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey, now that's thinking out of the box! Great set up. :)

How is your heater set up? Any cold weather camping planned?

faulke

I tried various configurations of the spring loaded types with poor results. I do still use one on the rear to hold up window screen though, but its also tied in place using zip ties. My screen has 4 panels & connects to each other using magnets so the pass thru is reasonably easy.

On the side windows I now use nylon cord tied in place to something like these 2-Hole D-Rings. The previous owners had installed them for just that purpose, but I didn't read about how they rigged up there curtains for quite a while.

Right now, I'm using conduit straps like these http://www.lowes.com/pd_75650-15527-45920S_4294653948__?productId=1100271&Ntt=conduit&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dconduit&facetInfo= to hold my curtain rods, which are wooden dowels. Then the curtains slide over the dowels with shower curtain hooks. I like the dowels as curtain rods. It makes it look sort of rustic. They tend to fall out of the straps on bumpy roads though, so I need to figure out another rod holder.

Hey, now that's thinking out of the box! Great set up. :)

How is your heater set up? Any cold weather camping planned?

Thanks! No plans for a heater at the moment, although I have looked into the various propane options. That opens up a whole nother can of worms with how to store a tank, so I've put that on hold and will stick with a warm sleeping bag for now.

We actually used those to string cord across the middle of the FP for. Curtain there at night so there would be a bit of privacy for the porta-potty. We also hung various small items from them. For curtains, we simply sewed small Velcro squares to fabric and stuck them to the fuzzy walls of the FP, perhaps inelegant but quite easy and useful.

Camelfilter

Explorer
We actually used those to string cord across the middle of the FP for. Curtain there at night so there would be a bit of privacy for the porta-potty. We also hung various small items from them.

Aha, I see how you all were using them now! Well, they work out great to hold up my curtains now. :)

For curtains, we simply sewed small Velcro squares to fabric and stuck them to the fuzzy walls of the FP, perhaps inelegant but quite easy and useful.
easy, simple. Nice!...as I plant my palm into my face...thanks Robertsons!

austintaco

Explorer
Curtains: If you don't feel like drillling new holes, install the d rings behind the hammock/roof pole holders and then run the cord from corner to corner. With velcro, it will start leaving the material fuzzy if you take them on and off. However, get some velcro straps or pieces of string and you can roll them up and wrap the velcro strap or string around the rolled up curtain and tie together.

For the heater: We use a tent safe heater buddy, but be aware, it will shut off at high altitude. For tank storage, if you don't want to carry a large tank, you can use a big piece of PVC pipe in a diameter slightly larger than the girth of one of the small bottles. Cut the pvc to your desired length and you can store the bottles end to end. buy caps for the pipe, and you can cut an access hole to pull out a bottle while it's in "line". This is not my idea, but one someone else posted a few years ago.

faulke

Curtains: If you don't feel like drillling new holes, install the d rings behind the hammock/roof pole holders and then run the cord from corner to corner. With velcro, it will start leaving the material fuzzy if you take them on and off. However, get some velcro straps or pieces of string and you can roll them up and wrap the velcro strap or string around the rolled up curtain and tie together.

For the heater: We use a tent safe heater buddy, but be aware, it will shut off at high altitude. For tank storage, if you don't want to carry a large tank, you can use a big piece of PVC pipe in a diameter slightly larger than the girth of one of the small bottles. Cut the pvc to your desired length and you can store the bottles end to end. buy caps for the pipe, and you can cut an access hole to pull out a bottle while it's in "line". This is not my idea, but one someone else posted a few years ago.

Awesome, thanks for the advice on curtains. Sounds nice and simple. I may look into a heater buddy, too.

Just pulled the trigger on some 12v gear to wire up an aux battery and a scratch/dent Edgstar fridge (fingers crossed it's a good unit). Stuff should be getting here next week, and I'll post up the results when I'm finished. This will likely be the last big project for a while due to the price tag...

WOODY2

Adventurer
Here's a couple more things I've added, and some pics from my first few outings.

I wanted to add an awning off the rear of the Flippac for a little extra rain/sun protection. Instead of purchasing one, I decided to build my own. I used a Kelty Noah tarp, two extendable tarp poles, some bungies, and an extra pair of those quick disconnect ball joints attached to the rear bumper. Picked the rainfly up off ebay, too.

View attachment 240877 View attachment 240878

A few pics of everything from outings in the Smokies and George Washington NF.

View attachment 240882 View attachment 240880 View attachment 240883 View attachment 240881

I'll try to keep this updated with some other mods I plan on completed this Summer/Fall. Let me know if you have opinions (good or bad) or suggestions about my work as well!

-faulke
Where did you source the tent poles? Thanks

faulke

New projects

Here's an update on my 12v project:

In Fall 2014, I completed my most expensive project to date: a dual battery + fridge setup. This one may have stretched my interpretation of a "budget build"; however, I still tried to remain conscious of my somewhat limited funds by selecting cheaper components that would work for me in the short-term and could be upgraded in the future. I owe a lot of credit to this forum for many of these ideas as well.

The basic components:
Total: ~ $860

The toughest pill to swallow for this project was buying the open box Edgestar fridge. I had previously read some horror stories about these units being DOA or having issues in a matter of days, but when my unit arrived I was pleasantly surprised. It had only a few minor dents and dings, and fired right up when I hooked it up to the battery. It went from room temp to 37 degrees in about 15 minutes.
20140829_124106_zpse0790832.jpg 20140830_140358_zps84ee0f44.jpg

I then modified one of my storage boxes to accommodate the fridge and a fridge slide. I simply cut half the lid off one of the boxes for the fridge platform and added drawer slides to it. The fridge fit perfectly! Of course, I had done some prior research to ensure this...
20140901_163900_zps33446eb1.jpg 20140901_163850.jpg 20140903_152650_zpsc277dc5a.jpg

Added some marine tie downs, new stainless steel handles to replace the cheapo plastic ones, and a couple latches to keep the fridge slide in place. When the fridge slides out, it rests on the tailgate, so it decreases the stress on the drawer slides.
20140906_115832_zps23c0aedf.jpg 20140907_152529.jpg 20140907_152555_zps8a3de5f7 (1).jpg 20140907_152641.jpg

The fridge is hardwired to the Blue Sea fuse block with 10 gauge wire, which sits with the battery in their own separate compartment of the left-side storage box near the cab. The battery is then wired to the solenoid under the hood with 4 gauge wire and inline fuses near the battery and solenoid. The solenoid engages with ignition and charges the aux battery while the truck is running. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of this, but the thread linked above has lots of examples.

All in all, the setup has worked wonderfully for the last 18 months, including one 6000+ mile trip. So long as ambient temperatures aren't incredibly warm, I can run the fridge for about two days before the battery is depleted to nearly 50%. It has made cold food storage so much easier to deal with. No more ice or soggy food! I also like how the fridge isn't very "flashy" looking like some of the others out there. I've had people tell me I've got a "sweet cooler" only to be surprised when I tell them it's actually a fridge.

faulke

I also wanted to add some additional outlets to charge phones, tablets, camera batteries, etc., as well as some sort of battery monitor. I picked up a plastic project box, some outlets, and an LCD voltmeter. After some routing with a Dremel and some simple wiring, I came up with this:

Basic components:
  • Plastic project box ($10)
  • Blue Sea 12v outlet ($8)
  • Blue Sea dual USB outlet ($20)
  • LCD voltmeter ($4)
Total: $42

1400434_10203224002312490_1185028850223960572_o.jpg 10900205_10203224002392492_25904302557108894_o.jpg 1782325_10203224003072509_3803161632474429486_o.jpg 10927230_10203224002832503_3738200505892022444_o.jpg

The LCD voltmeter turns on with a switch. Although it can be somewhat unreliable (due to surface charge and lowered voltage when the fridge is running), I simply wanted something that could tell me if the battery was charging, charged, or very depleted. For more accurate measurements, I'll just unplug the fridge or release surface charge, let it sit for a few minutes, then use a handheld voltmeter.

faulke

My last project was a simple one. The current awning setup wasn't really working out. It was flimsy and difficult to setup properly at times. So, I switched out my awning poles for some Kelty tarp poles. They're far more heavy duty and much easier to deploy. Here's a couple pictures of the current awning that also portrays where my camper project is at right now.

10989740_10203799581181602_3208231543553067932_o.jpg 11088442_10203799580261579_7500122969087220066_o.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Looks good!! I just built a flip-back and took some of the ideas on how to open and close from this thread!!

Glad to see your still out using her!

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Nice setup! Great job on all of your projects. Don't think I saw one or mention of one, but if you climb into and out of the back without a stool or ladder try one out! There are simple folding stools that work great! Makes access to our van super easy.

Arclight

SAR guy
Nice setup! Great job on all of your projects. Don't think I saw one or mention of one, but if you climb into and out of the back without a stool or ladder try one out! There are simple folding stools that work great! Makes access to our van super easy.

I made a little ladder for my kid to climb up into bed. Check it out:

reno_3_kid_ladder.jpg

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier