A flippin' diamond in the rough

faulke

Hello all,

I’ve lurked around the forums for a while and thought I’d share what I’ve been working on the past nine months or so. Back in October, I stumbled across a used Flippac while looking for a truck cap for my Toyota T100. The unit was meant for a domestic truck, so the fit would be a bit off, but for the price I just had to make it work. Armed with the financial prosperity of a graduate student stipend (sarcasm), I was determined to turn the camper into "base camp on a budget" for all my outdoor adventures, such as backpacking, mountain biking, and fly fishing. The following are some mods I made to suit my needs with (relatively) little financial investment, so I still had some funds left over for travel and the necessities of surviving thesis-writing (copious amounts of coffee and beer, preferably in that order, but sometimes I get confused).

The camper:
IMAG0207_zpsb1286f0d.jpg

The good:
- Canvas and interior in excellent shape
- Bedrug included
- Cheap!

The bad:
- Broken torsion bar
- No crank handle
- Cracks in gel coat
- Leaks around windows and torsion bar mounts

You also might notice the brackets installed on top. They hold two poles that are held in place by pins. I was told they were used as the support rods for the lid when flipped open. I'm not sure if this was done by the manufacturer or a previous owner, but they did a pretty nice job with it. Anyone else seen something like this on a Flippac?

First, I had to make it fit my truck. I won't go into the details, but it basically meant raising it 3/4" so it fit flush with the bed rails. I used PVC trim and weatherstripping to accomplish this. This is only temporary, and I'll eventually modify the shell to sit normal on the bed rails.
IMAG0232_zps532b5356.jpg

Next, I needed make it open. This meant either buying a new torsion bar and crank handle, or coming up with a new way to open the top. After learning the manufacturer wanted $600 for the pair, I decided on the latter. I found this thread (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59441-replacing-flip-pac-torsion-bar/page4?highlight=torsion+bar) about using quick disconnect ball joints and a long push pole. This gave me an idea for my Flippac. I could replace the bars in the brackets on the lid with galvanized pipe and a coupler to attach a push pole, like this:
Untitled.jpg

Adding a short nipple, 90-degree coupler, and a 9' push pole, and I had it open for the first time.
IMAG0283_zpsbba9ee31.jpg IMAG0285_zpsd3c6c6e6.jpg IMAG0286_zpsd481ec46.jpg

Then came attaching support struts from the lid, since the torsion bar no longer supported any weight. I used the quick disconnect ball joints in the aforementioned thread to accomplish this by attaching them to the sides of the bumper. The support struts ended up being two pieces of ~4.5' galvanized pipe that could be coupled together to use as the push pole. Funny how things work out. I've used this setup for the last six months or so, and it feels solid.
IMAG0367_zpsf2a01ce1.jpg IMAG0364_zpsd3ef6487.jpg IMAG0373_zpsc9542a1b.jpg

The extra length of the Flippac caused a gap at the tailgate, which I fixed by adding a piece of garage door weather-stripping to the bottom of the back window, and a piece of pipe insulation to the tailgate. Not the prettiest fix, but it works and was cheap.
IMAG0256_zps275743e6.jpg

A couple other things that needed to get done included siliconing windows and replacing old silicone in the torsion bar mounts with 3M 5200, since they were leaking water into the interior. I threw the bed rug in, and it was ready to go camping. But I also wanted storage for my gear...

More updates to come regarding interior modifications.

-faulke

faulke

Interior storage

Before finding the Flippac, I planning on a truck cap and sleeping bed platform combo with compartments for gear, so I had a basic idea of how I wanted storage to be setup. A few things I wanted were the boxes to be modular, so I could remove it in pieces if I needed extra room, a dedicated compartment for a future auxiliary battery, a removable sliding platform for extra sleeping space down below, and locks for security. Let me also say that I owe a ton of credit to this forum, as I found a lot of ideas simply browsing other people's setups. Thank you!

My father has the same truck, so we built the boxes to fit his bed then transferred them to mine, rather than working in the Flippac shell the whole time. We used 1/2" plywood and built three separate boxes that would be bolted together, so the whole setup was modular. A few pics of the process:

IMAG0294.jpg IMAG0297.jpg IMAG0305.jpg

The middle boards acts as another sleeping platform with storage underneath, or can be slid inside as a floor board.

IMAG0303.jpg IMAG0304.jpg

Carpeted and installed in the Flippac. The locks are some sort of hasp from Ace Hardware. I also added extendable legs to the middle board, so it can be used as a table when resting on the tailgate.

IMAG0389.jpg IMAG0375.jpg

Loaded up and ready to go!

IMAG0402.jpg IMAG0403.jpg IMAG0404.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result. All my gear fits pretty well, and with the black carpet and everything closed up, it's very discrete. The only thing I would change if I could do it all over again would be to use thinner plywood. The boxes all together weigh about 250lbs, but I think you could get away with thinner stuff to save on weight and they'd still be fairy sturdy.

-faulke

faulke

A couple more things

Here's a couple more things I've added, and some pics from my first few outings.

I wanted to add an awning off the rear of the Flippac for a little extra rain/sun protection. Instead of purchasing one, I decided to build my own. I used a Kelty Noah tarp, two extendable tarp poles, some bungies, and an extra pair of those quick disconnect ball joints attached to the rear bumper. Picked the rainfly up off ebay, too.

1617660_10201476715391409_1537959976_o.jpg 10014826_10201476716111427_1137906121_o.jpg

A few pics of everything from outings in the Smokies and George Washington NF.

10257496_10201821107480996_1315451389595454042_o.jpg 1798981_10201476715471411_548343343_o.jpg 10285094_10201821116481221_6496538425135849332_o.jpg 10257035_10201821117441245_5225495407222351114_o.jpg

I'll try to keep this updated with some other mods I plan on completed this Summer/Fall. Let me know if you have opinions (good or bad) or suggestions about my work as well!

-faulke

dman93

Adventurer
Nice tarp setup - and nice to see another Flip-Pac'ed T100. I just upgraded my hood struts with some stainless steel bimini top fittings, to beef them up since they're now supporting the entire weight sans torsion bar. But I'll probably add supports to my bumper just like faulke. I just couldn't quite pull the trigger on drilling my stock bumper, not to mention removing plastic liners so I could reach inside to put a nut on the ball-studs.

-dman93

bruue1

Observer
I think these flippac toppers are cool, so are the wildernest ones. Looks like a sweet set up. I like budget builds better than big money ones. Function over form and keep the cost low. Great job! Any thoughts on batteries? 12v system?

faulke

Thanks everyone! Just returned from a longer trip to Quebec and the North Maine Woods. The cooler just isn't cutting it anymore, so I'll be adding a dual battery/fridge setup in the near future. I'm hoping some things go on sale this weekend for Labor day. I also had an idea for curtain rods, and might throw those together soon. Stay tuned!

bob91yj

Resident **************
Impressive bang for the buck build, keep it up. My motto has always been to build the rig to meet your needs, not the interweb experts needs. I'm preaching to the choir in your case!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier