An amatuers rating of the Surface 2 tablet

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I just got done exchanging a few quick emails with the software designer for MapsPro and he says its the only GPS enable software that will work with the Surface RT line, which the Surface 2 is. He did confirm that the USB GPS units will not work, however, the Bluetooth enabled ones will, so I'm off to see if I can track down a Bluetooth receiver and hopefully, it works.

Fabien, the designer, is also working on a way to download street maps along a planned route so that street mapping can still be done offline WITHOUT having to download a whole street and national map like HERE maps wants to do. Should save on memory. He says it should be out as an update before the end of the year.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
GOTO ebay to pick up a Bluetooth GPS receiver. I have one and it works perfect. The good thing is with maps pro, you can download maps to a USB drive and use as needed. You could have one drive for a certain map/area/type. and just swap out the drives as needed. It is the best mapping software available for any tablet actually. Plus you can download sat imagry and it will work in the program. very sweet.

kojackJKU

Just did some extra reading, I can use my Acer laptop, download my mapping at 180 MBPS intead of 30-50mbps on my tablet. I can also use maps pro on my laptop via Bluetooth GPS receiver. Im so Excitied for this. I can't wait to redo my mounting and get the laptop doing nav as well.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
GOTO ebay to pick up a Bluetooth GPS receiver. I have one and it works perfect. The good thing is with maps pro, you can download maps to a USB drive and use as needed. You could have one drive for a certain map/area/type. and just swap out the drives as needed. It is the best mapping software available for any tablet actually. Plus you can download sat imagry and it will work in the program. very sweet.

Already did. It should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out.

kojackJKU

I velcro'ed mine to my dash. works great. cant wait to try it with my laptop.

Damn, Just thought about it, Now I am going to have to get a new SSD for my laptop. 512GB version. I only have 120gb one. Blazing fast for a 5 year old laptop, but it still outguns new mac airs. Got to love personal upgradability of non apple products. I upgraded my ram, drive and new battery. I get over 10 hrs of battery life on my laptop and it is awesome in the speed dept too. A win win.

I have to figure out how to clean the keyboard buttons, one of mine is sticky.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Note to all windows users, HERE maps is available for tablet and laptop now. Awesome app. I hope Here drive is as well. On tarmac nav is fully covered by that app. and then some. Its flawless on my 1020.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, MapsPro has FINALLY got turn by turn navigation up and running. Still working out the bugs, but so far, testing has been good!

And in celebration of that milestone, I made this.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just shameless self promotion. :D

kojackJKU

Its awesome! I love windows and their products. I cannot wait to get my surface pro 3 later this year

kojackJKU

Another awesome feature of the maps pro app is that you can download it onto your desktop computer, download your maps there, then transfer to your SD card and use in the tablet. At this moment I am downloading sat imagery for one area that we goto a lot, and on my tablet I have the same area being downloaded as google terrain. Both will be available on my tablet off line..

dstock

Explorer
Which bluetooth gps receiver is everyone liking? I going to pick up a Windows 8.1 tablet but none seem to have built in GPS.

Thanks.

kojackJKU

The asus vivotab RT has GPS built in. I use my gps Bluetooth for fast lock on and more accurate location.

dstock

Explorer
The asus vivotab RT has GPS built in. I use my gps Bluetooth for fast lock on and more accurate location.

I prefer an 8 inch tablet for dash mounting, and it doesn't appear that any have built in gps. Just wondered if there was a particular brand of bluetooth GPS puck that is preferred.

kojackJKU

Ok, Sorry about that. I just picked up the cheap one off ebay. I cannot remember the number on it. but it has a black top and silver sides. its rechargeable and can run via usb in your rig. The batteries in mine can be removed so you don't mess them up with the unit plugged in all day. I also have the Bluetooth OBD monitor for vehicle diagnostics/monitoring. I use torque pro for that app. Also gives you inclometers as well. very cool app. I agree with the tablet size, I have a new Lepan mini coming for my tablet in the jeep. I have an archos 80g9 now, but I find after awhile it gets very slow, so the updated specs in the LePan model should work great. Tried my acer a210 and it was just too big and heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94