An amatuers rating of the Surface 2 tablet

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I bought a Surface 2 one week ago to be a dedicated rig computer. My intent is to use it for GPS navigation, information storage, music, movies and generally keeping up with the world when I don't want to lug a laptop around.

After a week of playing around with it, I feel I'm able to give some decent feedback about it.

The Surface 2 I purchased has 32 GB storage on it with a micro SD card slot that can be used to increase storage capacity, along with a built in kick stand, a single full USB port, a micro HD video output port, two cameras, 10 inch screen and the usual volume and headset hookups. You also have a hookup for a foldable keyboard/cover that you can buy separate. Since I'm going cheap, I opted out, for now anyways.

The first thing I noticed after pulling it out of the box was how the battery is charged. It does not use a Micro USB, like I was expecting, but rather a new style of connector, at least its new to me. It uses a plug that secures itself to the charging port through magnets. What this does is prevent all kinds of disasters associated with charging cords, such as tripping over the cord and yanking the tablet to be smashed on the ground. Or braking the plug or port. By using the magnetic hookup, it simply pulls off if the cord is yanked. Its simple things like that, that will usually impress me most. It shows how much though went into the design.

The second thing I noticed was how solid it felt in my hand. I've held Ipads before, and they always felt flimsy in my hand, like if I didn't support it enough, it would fold in half. (okay, that's exaggerated, but its close.) With the Surface 2, I almost feel like I could chuck it into the wall like a Frisbee and pull it out and still use it. I am NOT recommending you test that, but it shows how I feel.

The kick stand is handy for when you want to just watch movies or surf the web. You won't have to prop it up on something only to have it slide off or buy an additional case to have a support stand. Again, simple improvements showing a lot of thought.

Next, I powered it up. It comes with a full charge right out of the box so you can get started right away.

The OS is Windows 8.1. I'm accustomed to using Windows 8 on my desktop, so the experience transfers very easily. Not only that, but in minutes, I had it hooked into my home network and accessing files from my desktop and laptop. Very handy if you're in the garage working on a project and need to see that pic of joe blow's rig to see how he welded up his front bumper and the pic is on your desktop.

Besides using the apps, the desktop feature makes it easy to access your files. I was pleasantly surprised at how few apps (or any programs for that matter) were already installed on the tablet. You have the full versions of Microsoft Office, not simply trial versions and some media apps, and that's about it. The full office versions are part of the reason the tablet is more pricy than it might otherwise be, since that includes the licensing for the apps. It also connects easily with my OneDrive setup through Microsoft. All I did was enter my Microsoft login information and it automatically synced the tablet with my home system, including adding apps I'd already used on my desktop to make sure I had full access to my stored files.

The touchscreen interface is about average, but still allows you to draw and write with just you finger. I'd recommend using a fine point, soft tip stylus though, if you have one. I managed to get a rough sketch of my cat with a round tip stylus so if you're into sketching, I think you'll enjoy this tablet.

Using the camera's is pretty intuitive, for both video and still shots. I haven't had a chance to test out every feature, but so far, the basics are impressing me.

There are some negatives though. The biggest of which is a lack of mapping and GPS navigation apps available for the Windows OS. I did manage to find an app that would allow me to perform map and route navigation when offline, but it did not include turn-by-turn navigation. If HERE maps had that feature, I would gladly pay far more than the $2 for the app. However, after a little research, I found that there are plans to develop such apps currently in progress. For now, having downloaded a complete road map of the US I feel I can get where I need to go. Plus the 10 inch screen makes it easy to read the map in any light. Currently, I am able to find my location on HERE maps through cell tower triangulation, but I have a GPS receiver on the way that should plug right in and give me precise coordinates. Oh, and the maps include satilite and simple road maps. Hmm.... I'll have to put up a review on the software forum.

The touchscreen keyboard is impressive. I'm able to type almost as if I were using a real keyboard. It still doesn't replace a full size keyboard though, since I have to stop and go to a alternate keyboard screen to enter in certain symbols and numbers. Still, its good for light to moderate typing.

The biggest problem I'm having is that I cannot access files from my tablet through my desktop. It took me a few hours to figure out that it wasn't my network. Its just that its not possible with the Surface 2 at this time. I hope that means that there will be an update later to correct this, but for now, I'm stuck having to move files from my Surface 2 into my desktop before working on them. I guess, from a photographers standpoint, that make sense, but I can't help but feel restrained by it.

I'll continue to update and post as I go along, but so far, I'm really liking my Surface 2. I already mentioned I have a GPS receiver on the way. I've already got a car charger for it and a leather cover that doesn't block any features I've already mentioned. I also took the precaution of adding a screen protector (Invisishield) like I did for my smart phone. In all, I've spent around $600 on this thing. I'll let everyone know how the GPS receiver works out. Even without turn by turn navigation, just showing me where I am on a large map would be a big help.

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing your impressions. The Surface Pro 2 (not the R/T version) is available new for 1/2 - 2/3 the price of the newer Surface Pro 3, making it a bargain.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
You can run Oziexplorer on Windows 8 and the maps are free from the USGS....not hard to walk you though the steps of getting the maps downloaded and setup. Once you do it once or twice it is a breeze.
There is also free gov site to download GeoPDF maps and you can run them on apps.
I just ended up with a Dell Venue 8 Pro and want to use it for nav but unlike your setup it uses micro usb for charging and data and will need some hacking to make it happen.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Have you tried to VPN into your desktop from the Surface? seems like you could do a file transfer set up that way... or even a home sharepoint server?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, I got my GPS receiver in today, a Holux GR-213U, and ran into a tiny problem. There is currently no driver available for the Windows 8.1 OS that will read the receiver on the tablet. I've shot a quick question off to Holux to see if they're developing one, but my hopes aren't too high, so I sent off an email to their two US retailers (Semsons.com and Junipersys.com) and hopefully they'll have a solution. Unless somebody on here does?

I realize that using a new system and product like the Surface 2, I was bound to run into these problems, but its still frustrating.

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Posting so I remember to check updates on this thread. I have the Surface RT and other than the lack of apps I like the tablet and the interface. Unfortunately I can't run Ozi Explorer but like you I did download HERE maps. I've had the tablet for a little over a year and I'm getting a little worried that the apps simply aren't coming. I'd love to run the Surface in the vehicle but for now I don't see much benefit.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is I found a GPS receiver that can work with Windows 8.1 on the Surface 2 and Surface Pro devices.

Bad news is that they are NOT compatible with Windows RT. Sorry EugeneTheTJ.

Here is the link to the website and receiver that was recommended to me by their rep as being compatible with my system. If you have Windows RT, you should give them a call or an email and ask about Windows RT devices.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-688-bu-353-s4.aspx#images/product/large/688.jpg

Correction: The rep for US global sat is an idiot. The drivers he recommended are NOT COMPATIBLE with the surface 2 table!

The search continues.

Last edited:

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
I have seen a few receivers that claim compatibility with both the RT and Pro devices.

My issue is that there is no app that I know of that will actually run the GPS service on the device.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
The first thing I noticed after pulling it out of the box was how the battery is charged. It does not use a Micro USB, like I was expecting, but rather a new style of connector, at least its new to me. It uses a plug that secures itself to the charging port through magnets. What this does is prevent all kinds of disasters associated with charging cords, such as tripping over the cord and yanking the tablet to be smashed on the ground. Or braking the plug or port. By using the magnetic hookup, it simply pulls off if the cord is yanked. Its simple things like that, that will usually impress me most. It shows how much though went into the design.

That is a nice review. Thanks. I just HAD to comment though about the magnetic charging. Apple has been doing that since 2006 and Microsoft may be in for a bit of a battle soon.

http://www.cultofmac.com/174993/mic...-for-the-surface-is-a-nasty-showdown-brewing/

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Ive played with my surface tablet for a while now and have a few other remarks. I do a lot of sketching designs and the sketchbook express app is almost perfect for me. It lets me do some quick sketches even with the touch sensitive screen. I did have to buy a fine stylus, but it was worth it. I just have to remember to only touch the screen where I want to draw.

Still working on info on getting GPS navigation on it, but its moving along. After I pointed some IT development guys to this forum, they got real interested.

Video quality is good too. Both viewing and recording.

I did run into a slight problem with storage space, but mainly because I had a a lot of junk files loaded from testing out various apps. Plus having a micro SD card helps out a lot. I'm still on the fence about the Onedrive cloud storage, but it has its uses. If you use the table to do a bunch of media work, pictures, documents, videos, etc... then it comes in handy, so long as you have an internet connection. Otherwise, you'd better have a high capacity data storage gizmo nearby. You don't want to use up much more than half the storage space or the processor really starts to bog down.

When it comes to video editing, you can do it, but the touch screen interface makes it a bit tricky, and the final processing can really eat up processing power. Doable, but not recommended.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am running the Asus VIVOTAB RT. and its a great tablet for most everything. See my quick review on my photo kit post. I have a GPS unit built into my tablet. I am not sure if yours does as well and its' just not activated? I have used my vivotab as a gps in my Jeep as a test. I have an android tablet setup for this but just wanted to test the windows tablet to make sure I have redundancy. The maps program I was using was awesome actually. Lets you take google maps, sat, terrain and a bevy of others and download them to your sd card or hard drive. works the bees knees.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Good review. I've been using a Surface 2 Pro for about a year now. I have it set up in the truck too for navigation, although I need a new piece of software, Topo 7.0 is a bit buggy on Windows 8.1 for some reason, even using the compatibility controls. Oh well, I've heard good things about that Oziexplorer, which is actually how I ran across this thread.

I mounted it in my dash with a mount made by Pro Clip USA and fashioned up a quick bracket for it. It seems to work great so far, if a bit "glarey" when driving in bright sunlight. The GPS dongle is just a standard one from Globalsat with a 90 degree USB elbow. Power is supplied from the surface car charger, so FINALLY, no more inverter required.

DSC04150.JPG

DSC04156.JPG

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
James, Check out maps pro for win 8.1. It works great in this neck of the woods, and if you attach a USB Drive with lots of space you can download sat imagery from google, plus terrain, full topo, and google street. I realy like my nokia 1020 for street guided maps. Gets you where you need to go with 99 percent accuaracy. The only thing I found was in montreal with road construction they had roads turned 1 way roads and the map never picked up on it. I am not sure if there is a a real time mode for it, As I used it in nova scotia and everything was 100 percent accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles