Show Your Dirty Laundry

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Show your dirty laundry and how you get it clean on the road! Washers, dryers, hand washers, buckets, slosh bags, wash boards, beating stones on the banks of a river, clothes line contraptions or others ways you love your wash n wear! :coffeedrink:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Quick dry modern fabrics make hand washing and hanging work well in camp for overnight otherwise small town self laundry in USA, small town laundress in Latin America when I have traveled there....
cheap and works well....

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I use one of these- wife mark 2
seemingly wife mark 2 does'nt want bikini pics on the net !

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I finally broke bad for the wife mk3 model. Has the best features of 1 and 2 but some of them are rediculously expensive. Also don't try the ironing or motivated cleaning mode as it will cause tension to build in the cooling system will definitely affect your ability to get in the wet stuff without additional accessories and or recovery gear.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
UK4x4, I really like the newer models like that one, the issue is at my age, they think I can't operate them satisfactorily and with the old models, I'd prefer them to simply wear the dirty clothes in the river!

Otherwise, here's one that has good reviews:

http://www.livethegreatescape.com/sailing-electricity-and-a-hand-crank-washing-maching

No relation of any kind with the product or retailer.

There may be others but for the price I'll get it any try it before I take off.

When I just go camping I don't wash anything, it all comes back home (or gets thrown away). I have used laundries, hate it, time loading, going there, waiting on a machine, avoiding the washer used by mommy doing diapers or the dog's bedding. Many are just nasty. Doesn't take too many trips to the laundry to pay for one of these gizmos. There are others too.

UK4x4, is it possible to rent your model along the way? A phone number would help and I'd be grateful for any introduction as well. :)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
wife mark 2- she was 18 in the photo, she's now 30.....!!

but thought it summed up the wash mode that latinos have installed at the manufacturer, sadly yes the ironing mode is still dificult to get functioning even after years of training

These models can be sourced from Maturin Venezuela, they come in varying shades but all seem to function similarly however emotional maintenance costs can be quite high in the beginning but later as they get worn in they mellow and relax.

meanwhile back to the thread-----

usefull one for long bumpy road trips are chemical containers with the banded lid, put in clothes and soap drive arround then just rince and dry.

p10102.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, I'm familiar with both slosh bucket types. I didn't catch that wifey part, forgive me! I understand too, having had several models that over the decades that other modes may not operate as advertised and in the long run can be very costly to maintain to keep operational.

I've used waterproof bags in the Army, tied off a vehicle, it's a warm water wash but the winter is more of a challenge.

Now, if we could find a small efficient dryer and a solar powered iron we wouldn't look like we were dressed to pick up cans while out on the road.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Yes, I'm familiar with both slosh bucket types. I didn't catch that wifey part, forgive me! I understand too, having had several models that over the decades that other modes may not operate as advertised and in the long run can be very costly to maintain to keep operational.

I've used waterproof bags in the Army, tied off a vehicle, it's a warm water wash but the winter is more of a challenge.

Now, if we could find a small efficient dryer and a solar powered iron we wouldn't look like we were dressed to pick up cans while out on the road.

The iron part is easy...has been around for a bit.

Iron-made-in-cast-iron-door-stop_0000258204.jpg

To wash, I dont see why a bucket and a wash board wouldnt work fine.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, my grandmother had one in the basement, she moved to the electric model before I was around but still used a wringer washers.

I'm thinking a 6 element beam antenna would make a decent clothes rack too. Might check the SWR meter if there are any metal zippers too. :)

Abitibi

Explorer
I've used both the plastic bucket on the roof (don't fill up, leave some room to splash around) and what I prefer, the dry bags (for canooing) since they are more compact when not in use. You can also throw in a couple of those spiky plastic balls typically used for dryers to help with the wash. I'd doubt if it could get any simpler... BTW, no real need for bumpy roads, curves with stop and go do the trick.,

Cheers
Mr. D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles