Gen 3 factory luggage rack and RTT

plh

Explorer
Anybody running a RoofTop Tent on the factory Gen 3 Luggage rack? Owners manual says 220 lbs, RTT weighs ~135 lbs, so shouldn't be an issue while vehicle is in motion. Just wondering about when we add 2 or 3 sleeping bodies to the rack while stationary.

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
No need to be rude. The rating is for the weight in motion. You'll be fine. Although I wouldn't recommend 3 adults.

plh

Explorer
No need to be rude. The rating is for the weight in motion. You'll be fine. Although I wouldn't recommend 3 adults.

Agreed, the weight rating is while in motion. For instance the FJ stock rack is rated for 150 lbs while in motion, and many are using RTTs on these. Still looking for comparative info on the Gen 3.

cnutco

Adventurer
Not sure that this is much more help, but I have an extended Yakima Mega Warrior. During this past fire works myself (190lbs) and my daughter (104lbs) with about 20lbs of camera gear for about two hours. No prob.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
All manufacturers cite conservative weight limits, and the difference between dynamic and static loading is enormous.

montypower

Adventure Time!
The factory rack is incredibly sturdy. It has 2 bolts that go through the roof with nuts on the back side for each mount. Plus, the base is rather large. I don't think you'd have any trouble, unless you are jumping on it. :)

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I have had my RTT (a Technitop model) on the roof for several trips now, and have found it very stable. I wouldn't worry about stationary loads as others have said, as long as your base is solid. I'm using cross-bars to connect to the factory rack, and find this more convenient than directly attaching to the factory rails. But the factory rails themselves are stout (a post without numbers and using words like "stout" is probably pretty useless, but you already have the numbers and are looking for real world examples if I'm reading you right?) I spread the load out as much as I can and go as close to the factory mounting points as possible, figuring this will maximize my holding power. This is "what my common sense tells me" anyways. ;)

plh

Explorer
Thanks for the comments. I looked at several RTTs and pretty well decided that many of them are the same. I was looking for an ARB Simson III style, I compared CVT - Mt. Shasta, Ironman, Tepui - Autana, Tuffstuff and of course the ARB. I ended up buying the Tuffstuff RTT and will do a more lengthy review of it in the coming weeks. Here is a photo of it attached to my ARB rack on the '92
IMG_20140908_071313.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94