choosing a vehicle

ramtruckohio

Hello, i am new to this forum but not necessarily off roading, or the backpacking/expedition mind set. I am getting very interested in an expedition rig, i am however, at a cross roads and am completely lost. My budget will be very tight, and will need to buy the vehicle for 8k and under... I am a dodge fan, and currently dd a ram 1500. but for my expo truck i am looking at a 1st gen cummins, similar to the doitall dodge, or a 3rd gen 2500 hemi. it will be a reg cab, long bed, 4x4 either way. i really love the cummins, but cant afford one in a 3 rd gen, or one in a decent 2nd gen. but i can get a 3rd gen hemi in my budget. i have heard of the cummins going for many hundreds of thousands of miles and like this aspect. i am leaning to the 3rd gen hemi however because this is what im more familar with... i can only afford a high mileage hemi, as in 150+. my question to all you more informed, was would buying one of these trucks and putting more money into make sense? or am i just asking for trouble getting a gas engine with alot of miles on it, and are there ways around the durability of these engines, to make them last more like diesels are known for?
sorry for a confusing question. i can help, and give more insight if needed. Thanks for looking!

superbuickguy

Explorer
why not an SUV? if you're on a limited budget, a truck would be a tough sell because beside the truck purchase there are many other things that you'd like to have to enclose it. Since you're a Mopar fan, maybe something in the same family? like a Cherokee? for 8k, you could build yourself quite the vehicle... the biggest mistake I've made is spending my entire budget in the raw material and having nothing left over to buy the stuff I need (winch, air compressor, lift, RTT).

I have solid axle trucks... they don't ride as well as my SUV, and one of the biggest things about overland travel is being comfortable offroad... not just from the "my bones hurt" viewpoint, but because rested people don't make as many mistakes - and if they do, they have the patience to extract themselves...

there, you asked my opinion.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
hemi

ive been really happy with my standard cab maunual trans hemi 2500, and i got it for 7k with 75k miles on it, the hemi trucks are easy to find in your price range with under 100k miles

ZEVRO

ZEVRO EXPEDITION
We have a 1998 Gen 2 Ram 2500 4x4 with a 12v Cummins 5spd manual, Quad Cab short bed that is being set up for an around the world overlanding trip. A Gen 1 you may be able to find within your price range. A good Gen 2 will run you a few more bucks. Anything with a Cummins 12v 5 spd will run you a lot more money just because of its rarity. Our truck runs a Skyjacker 2" full spring lift with no rear blocks on 35" tires. So the ride is pretty nice for a older Dodge. I would also limit my year to a 1998 or older. 1998.5 started the 24 valve 5.9L which began the computer controlled fuel injection. We stayed with the 12valve for it`s simplicity and world wide parts availbilty. Oh by the way the fuel milage is great too. Good luck with your search. Stick with what you really want. Its out there somewhere.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Dodge just ain't the best choice in Ohio. If you do get one, open up the door panels and get that foam out of there. Also keep an eye on moisture in the doors and under the carpet. Door seals etc. etc. Rinse off the salt twice as often as you think you should.

IME, gas engine are more reliable than modern diesels. But there are more of them out there, so many get a bad rap from Momo drivers. I'd only go after diesel in Ohio if you need 38"+ tires or dual rear wheels. We get stuck in soft mud more often than we tow, and the gassers get across a muddy road better IMO.

$8k can put you into just about a hundred really nice trucks in Ohio. I'll keep my eye open next time I pass through Willard or Apple Creek. There's used truck dealers that specialize in getting popular trucks up here. At least 5, 7.3L diesel Fords at any time in Apple Creek. And Willard always has fresh base models (work trucks) in good shape.

ramtruckohio

Thanks! i drive a 2010 ram 1500 right now as my dd, and it has rust...haha a canadian truck so it never had a chance. I was leaning towards a truck over a suv because i do haul firewood and tow largish trailers a few times a week in the summer at least. i really only wanted a 12v diesel because of the mechanical simplicity. a manual hemi would be my perfect truck i think, just didn't want to get a truck, put money in it, then have a failure on the engine or drivetrain that cost more than i paid for the truck, i know it can happen, just thought id be better from the get go in a certain truck...i will look into those dealers you suggested. i really like the idea of on dodges running big tires with minimal lift and trimming, better suited for longevity and price in my eyes...
Any who thanks for the opinions

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
maintenance

the hemi motors are cheap and easy to work on, ive seen complete motors with around 100k for less than $1000, and if you get a 5spd 2500 the nv4500 trans is bullet proof, and alot easier to work on than an auto, just my 2cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz