House vs Awesome van...

ihatemybike

Explorer
Unless you are starting a family, you'll regret the sale of the van and the purchase of the house.

(So wishing I was living in a van and not paying a mortgage....)

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Unless you are starting a family, you'll regret the sale of the van and the purchase of the house.

(So wishing I was living in a van and not paying a mortgage....)

Depends. My buddy now has 8 houses earning him , I don't know how much each month, and is retired at age 54 , riding his Ktm, DRZ, mtn bikes, or exploring in his '14 fjc he bought for cash, during the week when most people are working and commuting.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, there have been days I regretted selling vehicles, and there have been days I regretted buying "too much" house, but there is definitely happy ground in the middle.

Buying "enough" house, then saving for a replacement 'budget' adventure vehicle is probably the way to have your cake and eat it too.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Good to see you're taking a more responsible route, providing housing for you and your family are priorities over toys and any 4x4, go anywhere, jacked up, camper, hot rod or mobile motel is a toy. Some won't admit it and many are married men, LOL, necessities before luxuries.

If you're getting rid of debt for mortgage qualifying ratios, those ratios are used for a reason, your financial future will be much better if you keep all of your finances within those limits. Vehicles get more people in financial troubles than anything else.

Assuming you have done your due diligence as to renting vs. owning, owning can serve your needs and make you money.

Trust me, there is always another vehicle to have, that can be a never ending hobby fed by ego and desire instead of sound financial justifications. Some day, it won't be an issue if you watch your pockets.

Now, that all said, nice van! If that's a 4x4 I'll come get it!......See, it's a decease! :snorkel:

Last edited:

89s rule

Adventurer
Depends. My buddy now has 8 houses earning him , I don't know how much each month, and is retired at age 54 , riding his Ktm, DRZ, mtn bikes, or exploring in his '14 fjc he bought for cash, during the week when most people are working and commuting.

He must be in a great market. Being a landlord isn't for everyone that's for sure.

As mentioned by others keeping your debt low and making wise choices will make a huge difference down the road.

Wiley

Adventurer
You can sell a house on ebay, well I guess that makes sense you can sell just about anything on there, good luck with the house sale, you will love living in your van!

tldr; but obv. no one would sell their van

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Nice van! It even has the hard-to-find manual lumbar driver's seat. Man I miss that! Looks like you have a pretty nice place already but I understand. Hope you join in again soon and good luck.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Best of luck on selling a good looking van. I've never regretted getting into the housing market... The van can always be replaced in the future if you need another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles