Schooling required on vans again, Sprinter?

julius0377

Adventurer
From the reading I've done on the VW Crafter it's a Mercedes rear chassis with VW drivetrain, interior and front bodywork.

Agreed VW has gone further than Dodge (own engine, front, etc.) But you would be surprised to see how much is Mercedes, right down to the software of the navi and everything else inside. Look at these interior images (different years and trim levels.)

vw-crafter-pro-interior.jpg

2010_Sprinter_PassengerVan_151b_medium.jpg

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nice VW, haven't seen that.

Well, caught the owner, I asked if that old Dodge van was for sale, with a bit of a smile and he asked are you interested in a Sprinter?
I admitted I knew what it was (thanks to you guys) and he said yes, it's just been put up for sale and he'd entertain bids. He said he just listed it on CL for $13 and would take 10K It's an 08 with 214179 and new road tires. I'd say it was on the rough side after closer inspection, small creases on both sides several small dings, dent near the roof on the back, drivers seat needs covering, but I looked beyond the dirt. Maybe some bondo and graphics could cure most of those issues. I've only purchased one vehicle in my life with over a hundred K on the clock, a Dodge Raider with another parts car, didn't have those long. I know, a diesel Benz can go 500K or more, but it's my luck I'd get one that only lasted to 250K before some major repair was needed. Call me chicken I guess. I can do interior work with the best of them but I'm not a mechanic nor do I enjoy that like I use to. While he said it was mostly highway miles running to another store 60 miles away, that road is through the Ozark hills and it can be hard on transmissions. Probably not a bad price, body work would be about 500 bucks, if anyone is interested I have his name and number. Thanks again!

gvb40

The "Dodge Sprinter" is a Mercedes Sprinter - Dodge just put their name on it. There are also Freightliner Sprinters out there too. No real Dodge parts are used in it so the conversion is complex as it gets involved with computers used for stability control and the transmission / abs braking system. So - yes - 12 to 15k is what it takes and isn't worth doing on a older rig.
Whitefeather claims that their conversion does not alter any of the "systems" that Merc has in place.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Whitefeather claims that their conversion does not alter any of the "systems" that Merc has in place.

I didn't have to alter my Nissan engine when I put a Chevy in its place either:coffeedrink: It was still exactly as the factory intended.......everything except it's location!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior